User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fear of winter driving

Am I paranoid?? I love to drive trucks, but I am not doing it right now. I want to go back on the road and team again with my fiance', but there are so many pros and cons. One of the cons is that he wants to lease with Prime and I am dead set against it.

Anyhoo, back to my question. I am a good driver, but the thought of driving in the snow scares the hell out of me, and I have never even driven in snow (in a T/T that is). I'm fine driving in snowy weather in my car. I don't know if I am afraid just because of the size of the truck or the thought that how easily I can lose control if I am not careful or what. Has anyone else had this problem, and, how do you get past it?

Old 01-22-2007, 02:46 AM
Board Regular

why would you bang your head against the wall with a prime lease? drivers have been trying to get the word out that these lease purchases are the biggest rip off going. the fellow on the other thread just hit the wall with the england lease and you pop up over here.i see in the small print they will charge you a fee for putting so many miles on their truck while your running yourself to death to keep out of bankruptcy. you have driven in snow and you know what not to do.if you go slow enough down the hill and the trailer starts coming around you can get on the gas and straighten it up.you go down the slippery slope with prime and you be a slave or have ruined credit.read the thread kick me when im down
Old 01-22-2007, 02:53 AM
Senior Board Member

If your fiance is hell bent upon leasing with Prime, then you may need to find a new fiance. Fleece Operator deals are a losers game for the drivers, and both CR England and Crime.......OOOOOPPPPSS!!!!......I meant PRIME.....are poster children for what to steer clear of!!!

Seriously, even though you may love this guy, there is no point in letting you this guy pull you down the drain with him, and that is where both of you will wind up.

If he is going to pout and be resentful toward you for standing your ground, then it's best that you find that out NOW!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:58 AM
Rookie

Don't let people on this board or in real-life talk you out of owning your own truck, especially those who don't know you personally or the industry. That being said... I wouldn't do it with Prime.

I'm gonna buy my own truck with Crete even though people have told me over and over not to do it.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
you go slow enough down the hill and the trailer starts coming around you can get on the gas and straighten it up.
I have never driven a t/t in the snow either and really haven't even seen much rain. I wouldn't think to step on the gas if the trailer starts to come around me, I probably would have just stepped on the brakes. But I guess it does make more sense to accelerate. Someone told me once too that if I blew a front tire that the worse thing to do would to brake.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple.C

Don't let people on this board or in real-life talk you out of owning your own truck, especially those who don't know you personally or the industry. That being said... I wouldn't do it with Prime.

Triple C,

There is a vast world of difference between buying a truck, and leasing on with a company, and entering into a Fleece Purchase Agreement.. I don't know this person personally, but nothing could be less relevant; Fleece Purchase Agreements are a beggars crossroad; they lead to trouble in every direction.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
you go slow enough down the hill and the trailer starts coming around you can get on the gas and straighten it up.
I have never driven a t/t in the snow either and really haven't even seen much rain. I wouldn't think to step on the gas if the trailer starts to come around me, I probably would have just stepped on the brakes. But I guess it does make more sense to accelerate. Someone told me once too that if I blew a front tire that the worse thing to do would to brake.
The trailer will straighten out, it's all due to physics. And yes stepping on the brakes hard with a front flat is a no-no, you will plant the front end into the ground and fold the rim up like a soda can.

"Hundreds of miles rolled off today.
Signs lose their meaning, minutes tick away.
Dirt roads to interstates, I must have drove them all.
Cigarettes and burgers, caffeine and alcohol."
Old 01-22-2007, 06:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
I don't know this person personally, but nothing could be less relevant
I disagree, but have no interest in arguing.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Board Member

the only way to get past that fear is to do it. go out and drive a big rig in the snow :wink: just go slow, ignore all the others passing you at 70, grip the steering wheel for all you're worth, and then piss yourself laughing when you're done.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Board Regular

Driving in the snow is really not that bad. Drive what you feel is safe. If someone wants to go around you, then let them. I have been in some interesting situations and understand why you have a fear.

Here is the way I look at it, if you are in snow, you have more control than you do on ice, and you have more control on ice than you do on slush. If you feel that you need to chain up, then find a safe place and chain up, and get your self to a safe haven. Your life is not worth driving in dangerous weather.

From my own experience, it is not smart to drive on a sheet of ice, doing 60 MPH in the middle of a windy valley with nothing in the box. I have seen my trailer start to jackknife, and all I could do is put my feet on the floor and hope that the trailer would tuck in behind me. It did, and I was really stupid and lucky at that.

Another rule of thumb for me is, if my company expects me to take my empty trailer down a pass (shall we say Cabbage which is outside of Pendleton Oregon), they can wait until conditions improve.

To me, snow is something you never get used to, and you have to learn how to deal with it in your own little way. Take your time, go slow, relax as much as possible, and you will get there in once piece!