User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 03:06 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Inverter + UPS Integration Question

As most of us drivers have inverters, a question popped up into my mind.

The output of a typical inverter is a modified sine wave. The typical input for a UPS is a sine wave. This being the case, you should be able to use them together. Has anyone tried this? Any luck?
Old 01-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Inverter + UPS Integration Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by danj_otr
As most of us drivers have inverters, a question popped up into my mind.

The output of a typical inverter is a modified sine wave. The typical input for a UPS is a sine wave. This being the case, you should be able to use them together. Has anyone tried this? Any luck?
I have had good luck with true UPS that basically in this set up uses modified sine to keep the batteries charged. Some cheap UPS's are really
an interrupt driven power supply that simply passes the AC through conditioned -- but not like running off the internal battery and producing sine wave. Thus your equipment would be running off modified sine wave until the supply current was interrupted. Make sure it is a true UPS.

I have had very bad luck with modified sine wave involving any appliance that runs off NiCad batteries. It seems to polarize the batteries in quick order.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Board Regular

The UPS that I have is an APC XS1500. It was not cheap, however, I gotta get as much information as I can because I do not want to fry it if I plug it into my Inverter.

What I had been told is that anything like radios, computers, printers, and other such devices need to be run on a true sine wave inverter to properly function. However, I have also been told that if you cannot afford a true sine wave, then a filtered modified sine wave inverter will work just as good for the application.

I have not had much in the way of good luck trying to get in touch with APC and getting information on what kind of signal my UPS is able to handle, which is a first considering I have used them as a UPS supplier for years.

What I don't understand is why companies that make UPS's don't make UPS's for trucks! There is a complete, massive market, and it does not seem like it has even been considered.