User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DAC Reports

Are there any good companies that don't pull a DAC? What happened to a simple 10 year background report?

Outyounder
Old 01-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member

All large carriers pull DAC that i know of....maybe some really small ones would not. But you should not care if they pull it or not....should you?

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 01-15-2007, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

What does it matter if they use DAC or not. If a company is going to black ball you they will do it in on the phone as quickly as in a DAC report. At least with the DAC you know who is saying what about you and you do have a chance to correct and/or rebuttal any incorrect info.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Rookie
Default Dac is not fair

Well what I meant was that if you have stuff that your not proud of that you did when you were younger, it shouldn't be in a report. I think people change and shouldn't be judged all their lives for the wrong choices they made. I know those you who are perfect wouldn't understand but for guys like me, we have families and a need to work too. It is hauling freight, not preforming surgery! I even use to work in the surgery and didn't have to meet such standards!

Outyonder
Old 01-15-2007, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

I really have no idea what you are talking about, but consider this.

Everything in a full DAC report is what the FMCSA requires companies to check on you, and the govt is coming down hard on companies that fail to do a proper background check on drivers.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:57 AM
Rookie
Default What I mean

Well what I mean is, Can't they find out the info on the driver without having to go back 30 years? Isn't 10 years of your history plenty?

Outyounder
Old 01-15-2007, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: What I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by outyounder
Well what I mean is, Can't they find out the info on the driver without having to go back 30 years? Isn't 10 years of your history plenty?

Outyounder
DAC reports are governed under the Fair Credit Reporting Act which means that they are under the same laws as any credit report. So certain things can't be reported past 7 or 10 years but criminal records can. If I'm not mistaken they changed the law to allow that to happen in the whole "get tough on crime" hysteria in the 90's.

Anyway states also have laws that govern the reporting of this stuff. I think for example that California limits how long things are reported but I'm not sure and as federal law supercedes state law I'm not sure how all of this works.

The thing is this is your life so you need to sit down, you obviously have a computer, and investigate this stuff and not rely on what others tell you.

One other thing to remember, if it happened as you say, probably as an example, 30 years ago and if it happened in another state than where you live now, well don't offer information. There isn't a federal database that these people have access to (there is a federal database but it is extremely limited to who has access to it). Anyway as I said you need to take time and look into this stuff.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member

One final thing, you might as well forget about comments like " it shouldn't be in a report " and they you think people "shouldn't" judge things that happened 30 years ago. While I agree with you, the law is the law until it's changed so don't waste time over it debating wheter it's fair or not. Not every law is right or fair, but unfortunately we have no control over that.

These lawmakers pass laws based on ignorance and I love when they get caught up in it. My favorite was when that congressman from I think South Dakota, Mr. tough on crime got busted for vehicular manslaughter driving drunk. He wasn't so tough on crime at that point when he used sleazy defense tactics to try and get out of it. I was glad when he got locked up.

But I digress. Anyway don't worry about what's right or wrong. Find out the laws and do your best to deal with it. If it will make you feel better afterwards, write a letter to your congressman. Again good luck
Old 01-15-2007, 03:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

A DAC doesn't necessarily contain criminal background information. It depends on what the carrier requests. Most carriers don't go past the previous 3 years unless there is a red flag that pops up on the DAC or something else. The Feds require collecting a 10 year history on all drivers. That doesn't mean that the carrier will check every single reference for 10 years. I am not sure that they report a criminal history if it is more than 10 years old. However, the information is usually available from other sources if DAC doesn't report it. Some companies regularly pull a criminal history, others do not. I would think that the smaller and mid sized carriers are more likely to not pull a criminal history due to the cost, unless they are dealing with a lot of government or other high dollar or sensitive loads. You didn't mention what your criminal history entails, but if there is a felony in your background and it is more than 5 years ago, then many companies will give you a chance, depending on the conviction. Most frown on anything drug related, especially if it involved dealing. Another problem area is if you have ever been convicted of a DWI, DUI, etc., in a commercial vehicle.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

This is true what GMAN says that a Dac report doesn't necessarily contain criminal info; as he says it's what's they request. If you want to know what they possibly could request then go to the company's website that issues these Dac reports: USIS and go to services and look under the trucking industry.