User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Turned the keys in...

Yup, I just decided one day out of the blue to turn my truck in. It was a very bittersweet thing to do. That truck has been my life for the last year. I've been everywhere with it in all types of conditions and what not. To tell you the truth, I haven't broken down and cried for a long time but I did do it when I locked the door and walked away. It's tough although I'm excited to go local. Hope I can get on with a company like Old Dominion or something along those lines...

I had a blast out there the last year. I ran every state west of the mississippi along with a handfull of the east. Pretty good for a mainly west coast company although GTI is opening up a Idianapolis yard next year.

I'll still be around. My blog will be updated within a couple days... I'm taking a month or so off to ride my new snowmobiles and to just relax.

Thanks everyone for all your help a year ago when I first asked about OTR... Now I can give answers :lol:
Old 12-31-2006, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, BOL2U!!

There are a few times when I miss being OTR, but it never takes me long to remember why I came home!!
Old 12-31-2006, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Best of luck to ya Chris. GTI is who I want to work for when I get out of school. Did you ever get my e-mail? I sent it through your blog site.
Who are you going local with?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

keep your blog going, I enjoy reading it.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 PM

Kona, I've been tracking you through this site and your blog. I even posted a "Where is Kona" when you dropped off the map!

You don't say why you are leaving OTR. Everything in your post above sounds like you love the job. Mind if I ask what caused you to leave?

I just got a call from GTI this morning. They want to send me a letter of intent to hire. I am starting school on January 15th. I would be very interested in your thoughts on the company.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:43 PM

Sacramento,huh, Same here
It's a tad slow right now on jobs here. You might want to look into tanker (Thats what i do Fuel)

Old 01-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
Kona, I've been tracking you through this site and your blog. I even posted a "Where is Kona" when you dropped off the map!

You don't say why you are leaving OTR. Everything in your post above sounds like you love the job. Mind if I ask what caused you to leave?

I just got a call from GTI this morning. They want to send me a letter of intent to hire. I am starting school on January 15th. I would be very interested in your thoughts on the company.

Best of luck to you!
It was a whole mixture of things that made me just up and quit. For one, it get's extremely boring running up and down I-5 and just because we run the 5 it doesn't mean you're going to get home more often. They may say that but usually that's not the case. If I could have it my way I would be running coast to coast or at leat to Tennesee or Green bay, somewhere far from the west. I was lucky enough to get on a dedicated fleet. When I got on I was told not to tell anyone or else all hell would break loose. Suppsoedly I jumped in front of a lot of driver who were in line waiting for an open spot.

At gordon, It's all about WHO YOU KNOW. Remember that. Being away from home when you have someone you love very much is hard. Although for me it was easier, getting in my truck and just thinking about road conditions, delivery times, what I'm going to grab for lunch and what time my favorite show on XM comes on. But my girl is left at home depressed, my mom is nervous and I felt really bad. I keep on saying that if anything ever happends between my girl and I , I will come back out for sure.

Also, I can finiancally afford to take a month or two or maybe even more if I'd like to. Time for a break, but I will be back driving in one type or truck or another.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree 100% on it not only being hard on you (the driver), but also on your loved ones at home.

During my Christmas break I was pretty much given an ultimatum by my fiance. I chose my fiance. I called Celadon and arranged for me to bring the truck and the load to Indianapolis to turn it in. They didn't want me to go and when I arrived at the terminal, a message was left at the guard shack for me to see the terminal manager, which I did. He gave me a hand-written job reference by him, and said that if I ever wanted my job back there to give em a call.

I've already got another job lined up which will run me regional, with the company terminal 20 miles from my house. I'll be home every weekend and a couple times through the week. The only thing I'm waiting on is the drug test results (took the test yesterday).
Old 01-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I agree 100% on it not only being hard on you (the driver), but also on your loved ones at home.

During my Christmas break I was pretty much given an ultimatum by my fiance. I chose my fiance. I called Celadon and arranged for me to bring the truck and the load to Indianapolis to turn it in. They didn't want me to go and when I arrived at the terminal, a message was left at the guard shack for me to see the terminal manager, which I did. He gave me a hand-written job reference by him, and said that if I ever wanted my job back there to give em a call.

I've already got another job lined up which will run me regional, with the company terminal 20 miles from my house. I'll be home every weekend and a couple times through the week. The only thing I'm waiting on is the drug test results (took the test yesterday).

Yeah, I hate leaving and seeing my family cry. It's not a lot of fun. I hope to get something local soon but right now I'm just relaxing. Theres a big storm coming in on thursday which should dump 2' of snow... Then I'll be up in tahoe tearing up the mountains =0
Old 01-06-2007, 03:52 AM
Board Regular

best to get busy getting the next gig.a lot of companies use dac computer and if you dont give 2 weeks notice they file a dac report.they try to black ball you.when checking references they only say if they will rehire you or not.that dac they enter whatever dirt they put in your personnel file,damage,accidents,late delivery,quit under load or stranded truck. on the positive side my bro inlaw just retired from teamsters and he said they have a hard time finding peolple who can pass drug test.you might not get alot of hours with no seniority so you have time for your snow machine.the blog on the road was well done