User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

mine much prefers me coming through home a couple times during the week and all weekend then if I were home and running my own shop, i`ve got a pretty insane work ethic....
Old 01-10-2007, 08:15 PM

I apologise for the hi-jack but Malaki, sorry to see you left Celadon...who did you end up with?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:50 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey4069
He will be back on the road in less than a year . When it get in your blood you cant fight it . 8) :lol:
Yup, he'll be back. May not be with GTI, but he will be back :wink:
Old 01-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danj_otr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey4069
He will be back on the road in less than a year . When it get in your blood you cant fight it . 8) :lol:
Yup, he'll be back. May not be with GTI, but he will be back :wink:
It got in my blood, and I wanted it out VERY bad... :lol:

Although GTI is a greate company, I couldnt do the OTR thing... the driving wasnt bad, but the money was horrible compared to local, and the time away from people I love was worse.

Do whats best for you and your's Kona.

If you need anything or help/questions about OD, let me know.

I'll still buy the drinks if you're ever in PHX!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler15301
I apologise for the hi-jack but Malaki, sorry to see you left Celadon...who did you end up with?
It's a small carrier (75 trucks) based in Fairmont, WV - WS Thomas

One thing that's really impressive with this company, and I've yet to see any other trucking company that can match it: they've been in the transportation business since 1899. Also, most of the drivers have been there over 15 years. They have a turnover rate of about 2-3 drivers per month.

I just finished up my first week there. In 5 days I ran 2,716 miles, and already have my trailer loaded to head to Birmingham on Sunday eve.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Default Re: Turned the keys in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
It was a very bittersweet thing to do. That truck has been my life for the last year. I've been everywhere with it in all types of conditions and what not. To tell you the truth, I haven't broken down and cried for a long time but I did do it when I locked the door and walked away.
That first part hit home, and I was glad to hear that someone else felt the same way I did when they turned in the keys and walked away from what has basically been not only your house, but your livelihood...your LIFE. Not only a profession, but how you have lived and moved and had your being in a life of Constant Mobility in the light of day and the darkness of night, in wind and rain and snow and sun, over mountains, and through forests, and across deserts for days and weeks and months that become years. In towns and cities and villages from Kansas City to Keokuk to Kankankee from ... as the song goes ..."Sea to shining sea." And always the road. ALWAYS THE ROAD.... and the next load. The truck... in a weird way.. becomes like a part of you. Like that line in the Rush song "Red Barchetta" about " the limits between machine and man. " :wink:

I remember asking my wife in all seriousness with a choked-voice as I walked away from the truck for the last time, "Do you think she will be all right?" :cry:

:wink:

:roll:

Then....

...after a few days back at home you, it suddenly begins to dawn on you that you are FREE FREE FREE!!! You wanna scream like Mel Gibson at the end of the movie "Braveheart" "FREEDOM!" :lol:

Like you, "going Local" was also the intermediate step for me from getting off the road, and then eventually out of the industry all together.

Obviously, however, my ongoing presence here shows that even though I got off the truck and left the life of the road... I never really left it behind me... it remains.... remains... As I said in another post, making an obscure parallel in quoting the movie "Uncommon Valor" you never really get over leaving the road, but you do eventually make friends with it. :lol:

Best of luck to you, man. You'll be fine.