User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

US 97 From Bend Oregon to the California gets really bad in the winter.

I80 To the bay area gets really foggy.

I84 From Pendleton to Ontario can be a bit tricky to deal with. If you are heading West bound into Pendleton, Cabbage is really bad in both directions, but is especially bad when it snows. When you pull your chains west bound, keep an eye out for trucks parked in the right hand lane as well as the shoulder. There have been alot of Fatalities around the base of Cabbage.

Loup Loup Pass is banned by Swift.

Lewiston Grade gets dicey in the winter, and is very steep.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:31 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danj_otr
US 97 From Bend Oregon to the California gets really bad in the winter.

I80 To the bay area gets really foggy.

I84 From Pendleton to Ontario can be a bit tricky to deal with. If you are heading West bound into Pendleton, Cabbage is really bad in both directions, but is especially bad when it snows. When you pull your chains west bound, keep an eye out for trucks parked in the right hand lane as well as the shoulder. There have been alot of Faitalities around the base of Cabbage.

Loup Loup Pass is banned by Swift.

Lewiston Grade gets dicy in the winter, and is very steep.
I80 To the bay area ,Lewiston in OR? :? :shock:
Old 01-11-2007, 03:46 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinz
I80 To the bay area,Lewiston in OR? :? :shock:
Yeah I80 To the bay area gets really soupy.
The Lewiston Grade in Lewiston ID is pretty bad. When they had Spiral Highway open to trucks before they put the grade in, there where a lot of accidents due to how winding it was.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:29 PM

Ok Ill add my list of Bad roads.

129 on the NC/TN border has it. My dad lived not too far from there at one point, and me and my wife drove down around there as a way to get from Bryson City back towards Knoxville. Its a PITA in a car, every turn looks identical.

US Rt22 between Ebensburg and Altoona, PA Although there is nothing bad with the road, its rare to have it OPEN during a snowstorm, its a divided 4 lane, however in an area called Cresson mountian the roadway is a few hundred feet higher than the the trees, etc on both sides of the road. The winds get terrible because your at a really high elevation, and nothing around you, plus a nice switch back turn. Someone always pukes their load up there.

Something neat that I noticed. If you take Rt 32 through Cosby TN (NOT FOR TRUCKS), 32 ends and it becomes dirt, I believe its about a 15-20 mile dirt road, with absolutley nothing on it. We kept going, made a turn here and there, and found an interstate 40 sign.
The only part that was paved were the on/off ramps. I have never seen an exit that went to a dirt road

There is a road in Bryson City called the "road to no where". From what I read AFTER the trip, it was an attempt by TVA to make another road the crossed the mountain, but was never finished. We chugged the 11 or 12 miles up it through the mountain, until it was gated and there was nothing left, I guess I should have known from the signs, funny thing was it never dawned on either of us that it actually meant it went no where.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:06 PM

I'll throw this out, though it is incredibly rare to see a big truck run this one. US60 from Holbrook AZ, down through the salt river canyon to Globe AZ. It's technically not restricted, but it is highly recommended that you not use it in a truck.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Ya - he's gotta be thinking of Fancy Gap - it's the only really long hill there.

For dangerous, try US 50 in eastern WV, US 33 from Elkins WV to Harrisonburg, VA, US 250 from Wheeling WV south.

There's plenty more of those.

By far the most dangerous roads I have been on. Before getting my class A I used to haul alot of cars back to Ohio from Culpepper, VA. Then when I got my class a I drove for a auto parts company and had a couple routes in eastern WV. Route 50 isn't really a truck route but i will use it if i only have about 20,000 in the trailer, but would not attempt 33 or 250 with a tractor trailer loaded.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:59 AM

correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't I24 in tennessee crossing monteagle....snatch a few drivers
Old 01-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Lets see here I-24 across Monteagle east while bite you if you are not careful. I-40 in NC down Black Mountain is also nothing to sneeze at. Snowshoe in PA will also get you in bad weather. The worst one though for me was a road in CA I had to take as a detour around someone that dumped his truck I had to put my nose against the wall on one side and my trailer on the wall on the otherside to get across that blasted switchback.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I wish I could post something, while as a new driver what I can do is asking .

Beside DANGEROUS ROADS, any other roads do you try to avoid or need to pay more caution?

How is EASTERN, NY, PA, NJ, MD, DE, DC, MA, ME, VT, NH, CT?

How is BC, AB in Canada?