User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How about firearms in the Truck?

Does anyone here carry a gun for defense purposes while on the road?

I'd feel a lot safer if I could bring my pistol with me, and maybe my SHTF .223 just in case I might be in Oakland or Compton at the wrong time. Anyone remember the LA riots and that trucker being pulled from his cab and beaten severely? I don't see how a dead guy could pull me out of my cab.

I also do a lot of target shooting and would like to bring a rifle and some reloading equipment with me so I can make some ammo and shoot in my down time.

Thoughts? Ideas? Possible?

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Senior Board Member

R U 4 real..... what the f@#$ are you talking about, first off firearms are illegal in big rigs , plus going acoss statelines, and you would never have time to play with guns if you were seriously driving all the time.... and as for dealing with the big bad wolf of oakland, well guess you never had to deal with it or you would know how.... ROFLMAO
Old 01-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Senior Board Member

damn :shock: :shock: :dung:
Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
R U 4 real..... what the f@#$ are you talking about, first off firearms are illegal in big rigs , plus going acoss statelines, and you would never have time to play with guns if you were seriously driving all the time.... and as for dealing with the big bad wolf of oakland, well guess you never had to deal with it or you would know how.... ROFLMAO
My questions were legitimate as I'm not a driver yet. As for Oakland I live near there and only a frigging idiot would go in there unarmed.

Perhaps you are a frigging idiot, I don't know.

I just have one question for you though, were you born an obnoxious jackass, or have you practiced really hard at it?
Old 01-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243Winchester
My questions were legitimate as I'm not a driver yet. As for Oakland I live near there and only a frigging idiot would go in there unarmed.

Perhaps you are a frigging idiot, I don't know.

I just have one question for you though, were you born an obnoxious jackass, or have you practiced really hard at it?
Yes no Yes yes No and maybe, hehehhehehehehe, I know you are new, sorry but yeah if you want before you ask do a search on this forum to maybe see if someone else answered this before, maybe you will see that firearms are illegal to carry in trucks and I thought you knowing about guns would know that carrying from state to state might be illegal, I have a concealed permit and not all states allow me to carry even unloaded and on the dash, so you might want to check that out before you go packing into oakland,

ohhhh oakland aint nothin, been their done that, been to compton and it was all good. been to boston, washington DC... dallas where people do get shot and houston where hundreds every year get shot, been to philly, new york, chicago, EAST LA, my fav go there the most, I aint no sissy boy if thats what you were asking...
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Board Regular

The only thing to worry about in Oakland is the damn hookers banging on the door all night, if you park on the "strip".
Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Most, if not all, trucking companies have policies against keeping firearms in the truck and they will fire a driver on the spot if they find out he has one.

In addition to that, there are hundreds of laws governing the transportation and ownership of firearms and it would be impossible for you to keep abreast and in compliance with them all as an OTR driver.

Quote:
I also do a lot of target shooting and would like to bring a rifle and some reloading equipment with me so I can make some ammo and shoot in my down time.
Leave your guns at home. You will not have that much downtime anyway, and what time you do have will be spent catching up on rest, keeping the truck clean, etc. Also if you do have the time to go shooting you could probably find a local shooting club/range that would rent you a pistol or rifle.

Quote:
I'd feel a lot safer if I could bring my pistol with me, and maybe my SHTF .223 just in case I might be in Oakland or Compton at the wrong time. Anyone remember the LA riots and that trucker being pulled from his cab and beaten severely? I don't see how a dead guy could pull me out of my cab.
The odds of you or anyone else being attacked are very slim. At any given time there are something like 3 million truck drivers on the road, so your odds of coming home safe are pretty good unless you go looking for trouble. A little common sense goes a lot farther to keeping you safe than any gun ever will. It has also been my experience that those who go around armed are more likely to go marching into situations they would/should avoid out of a false sense of invulnerablility.

Beyond that, if you are truly so afraid that you can not leave home without your guns then trucking is not for you.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One other thing to remember is that a lot of carriers go into Canada. Crossing the border armed is a definite no-no. If they decide to search your truck and find a gun, you will be arrested on the spot and your truck will likely be confiscated. We have discussed this quite a bit. You can find a lot about the subject if you do a search.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Rookie

What about carrying bear attack repellent. I am not a driver but i am going to school in March. I have some fears of crime not as much as i do the law. I will never carry a gun because of this. Whenever i backpack i carry bear mace. It is like a small fire extinguisher filled with pepper spray . The stuff is pretty nasty. Does anybody know if there are any laws against carrying bear mace anywhere in US and Canada.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Check out the female truckers forum...

They have some pretty nifty "self-protection" ideas over there that are legal and, in my mind, VERY effective.

There's a couple ladies over there that I certainly wouldn't want to piss off in a dark alley.

Or even in broad daylight for that matter. :wink: