User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Types of milage pay

I'm a bit confused about the different terminoligy used regarding mileage pay. For example, from Crete's website.

"Q. Is the company mileage pay calculated on industry standard "short route miles?"

A. No. Effective October 1, 2005, Crete Carrier Corporation, which owns and operates Crete Carrier, Shaffer Trucking and Hunt Transportation, Inc., will pay "practical route miles" to all its drivers. This change is made with the best interests of our drivers in mind. At Crete, we believe if you drive practical routes you should be paid practical route miles."

Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks in advance
Dok
Old 12-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Short miles are considered household goods miles. That is the worst way to be paid. It can short your actual miles driven as much as 12-15%. Practical miles uses the most practical miles to your destination, but is still not 100% accurate. Miles can vary as much as 7 or 8 percent.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Short miles are considered household goods miles. That is the worst way to be paid. It can short your actual miles driven as much as 12-15%. Practical miles uses the most practical miles to your destination, but is still not 100% accurate. Miles can vary as much as 7 or 8 percent.
So household goods miles = HHG = shortest miles
and Practical miles = Hub = not actual miles but closer than shortest.

And there are NO other types of milage pay?

Just trying to keep it straight, learn the terminology
Old 12-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Hub is not the same as practical.

Practical = shortest realistic truck route from main post office to main post office.

HHG= shortest route from main post office to main post office regardless of type of route.

Hub: Actual milage from point of pickup to point of delievery.

Terms such as PC Miler, Rand Mcnally, etc do not really mean anything. They are simply brand names of routing programs and can be set up to calculate mileage based on HHG, Practical, or Quickest.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Hub is not the same as practical.

Practical = shortest realistic truck route from main post office to main post office.

HHG= shortest route from main post office to main post office regardless of type of route.

Hub: Actual milage from point of pickup to point of delievery.

Terms such as PC Miler, Rand Mcnally, etc do not really mean anything. They are simply brand names of routing programs and can be set up to calculate mileage based on HHG, Practical, or Quickest.

Thank You

I asked this before but only got 2 types of pay... I thought there was 3...
tho the norm I see is 1 of 2
Old 12-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sorry that my answer was not complete. Uturn did a good job of explaining the differences. There are very few carriers who pay hub miles. In an ideal situation, that would be the best way for both the carrier and driver to be paid.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I am sorry that my answer was not complete. Uturn did a good job of explaining the differences. There are very few carriers who pay hub miles. In an ideal situation, that would be the best way for both the carrier and driver to be paid.

It's all good... I appreciate everything I've learned here in the past week or so.... I lurked for a few days before I joined.

For the most part I've found every answer I was looking for. Then more questions pop in my head and I search, if I can't find them I ask, and everyone has been helpful, and I Thank everyone for that.... Job well done helping out the noobs.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the info and input gang. I start week 2 of CDL school tomorrow and will be making contact with a few more companies to see about applying. This was one of the main things I wasn't sure on.

So far, I've got pre-hires (I know, they're not really that important) from:
Roehl
Cypress
May

I'd like to have a few more in hand by the end of next week and am looking at TMC, Maverick, and Crete with US Express being a distant 7th place.

Anyone have any guidance on any of those?

thanks
Dok
Old 12-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Board Regular

Doktari, just taking a look at your location, and as far as your prehires go, you might want to look further in to cypress. Not the greatest equipment, and it is flatbed which involves a little work, but they're hq'd out of Jax, Fl, and they will get you home on the weekends, and you being in Tampa, you might have a good chance stopping by the house through the week. I don't know how you want to run, but i just know a lot of people look for weekend home time, if you're willing to make the sacrifice to stay out 2 weeks or more, i'm sure you can find a better paying gig, with more miles than cypress, but if you're looking for that weekend hometime, check em' out. BOL.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the input Miller. Very valid points there and Cypress was my first prehire so I've done a lot of thinking on the very points you bring up. I've talked to my wife and due to our current financial situation, we've decided that what would be best is to go for the $$. So, I'm leaning the most to May. What May is telling me is out 3 weeks, home 3 days not counting the day you arrive and the day you leave so I'm reading that as 3 solid days home. 2500-3000 miles on average. $500/week during training then .32/mile for the first 6 months. .34/mile after 6 months, .35 after 9 months and .36 after 1 year then .01 raise every 6 months there after. I'm sure there's a limit but by that time I should have things pretty well figured out.

I still want a few more prehires from some of the better companies I've read about here, just in case, but I think unless something a lot better comes along, I'm about 87.5% sure I'm going with May.

When I got my info letter from May, they gave a short list of things to bring, recommended things, and things NOT to bring. On that last list was a camera, of any kind. Any ideas why they wouldn't want you to bring a camera along? I'm going to ask the recruiter this week but thought I'd post the question here too.