User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Unexperienced Drivers Looking for School...

First all, I am not a Recrutier. When i was looking at getting in the trucking field, i was doing my research on these boards, asking questions...etc etc. Now after a full year of driving, i have some advice that i hope might help.

1. Pick a company that offers CDL training. I chose Schneider National. There trainers are top notch, and knowledgable. Swift, Stevens, and CR England also offer training. You may want to check those out to.

2. Find a Team Partner. Before training, i have never been inside of a big truck. It was all overwhelming. I asked a fellow student if he would team with me for the first 6 months. No matter what kind of pickle we were in, we both worked together to fix the problem. Plus, its always cool to have a drinking buddy when restarting. I have found that after 6 months of teaming, i was more confident in solo'ing.

I have found in the trucking industry, there are alot of ups and downs (especially driving in the mountains LOL (lame i know) ). Just take it stride, and after a year its all down hill from there.

If you have any questions about Schneider Training, please feel free to MSG me. However, I am Leaving tomorrow.

Thanks

Kryten
Old 11-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Board Regular

In my opinion, It's better to team with someone you know. I personally know a co-worker who Is going to school to get his CDL. Once he's graduated, we are going to team for a little while.