User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What is the best?

Santa Claus is coming. What is the best:

1. Boot for truck driving? Probably going flatbed.

2. Gloves?

3. Coveralls?

4. Equipment to make coffee?

5. Equipment to heat a can of soup?

6. Cell phone and or cell phone servie to call home from anywhere?

7. What is the best way to carry clothing on the road (suitcase, gym bag, duffel bag, plastic bag)?

8. Not a big deal (maybe) but what about socks?

9. Rain gear?

10. Finally, what is the best way to stay clean shaven on the road?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: What is the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman
Santa Claus is coming. What is the best:

1. Boot for truck driving? Probably going flatbed.I love Harley boots

2. Gloves?

3. Coveralls?

4. Equipment to make coffee?

5. Equipment to heat a can of soup?

6. Cell phone and or cell phone servie to call home from anywhere?Verizon

7. What is the best way to carry clothing on the road (suitcase, gym bag, duffel bag, plastic bag)?Duffel bag

8. Not a big deal (maybe) but what about socks?Go for the nice thick ones that you can get this time of year - even though they make your feet warmer in the summer, they also provide a lot of extra cushioning

9. Rain gear?

10. Finally, what is the best way to stay clean shaven on the road?Simple razor will do, unless you are a wolly mammoth :wink:

Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Get some Sorrels to have in your Cabinets for when you run the North country and have to get out of your Truck.

I recommend Carhardts Arctic coveralls and Jacket. You never know when you might get snowbound.

I never bought one of those coffee makers that plug in that were worth a damn.

Most trucks have cabinets so you don't have to have all your stuff in a Duffel bag.

Stay clean shaven by shaving when you take your shower
Old 11-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

1. Boot for truck driving? Probably going flatbed. For driving a I always preferred athletic shoes. Lighter and cooler than boots. For boots any good quality work boot will work. I do suggest getting the insulated types, but at the same time if it were me I would not spend a lot of money on the boots. Wal Mart has some decent ones for around $50 or so, which is where I got mine and still have them. It is also a good idea to waterproof them. There are things out there that will ruin a pair of boots or shoes in a hurry regardless of how much you pay for them. The most important thing is to get a pair you find comfortable.

4. Equipment to make coffee? 12 volt subemersible heating element and a ceramic mug and use something like Folgers singles, if you are unable to install a microwave to heat the water.

5. Equipment to heat a can of soup? Lunch box stove and use foil loaf pans as liners for ease of cleanup.

6. Cell phone and or cell phone servie to call home from anywhere?
I used Verizon and had good luck running coast to coast with it.

7. What is the best way to carry clothing on the road (suitcase, gym bag, duffel bag, plastic bag)? I have 1 large and 1 small duffel bag. I use the large one to get to orientation and the small one as a shower bag to transport my clothes and toiletries to and from the showers.

8. Not a big deal (maybe) but what about socks? What ever trips your trigger. I like the cushioned athletic socks myself.

9. Rain gear? If you are doing flatbed then you want a high quality pant and jacket set. Otherwise just a jacket. I suggest unlined about a size or 2 bigger than what you need so you can layer clothes underneath in cooler weather.

10. Finally, what is the best way to stay clean shaven on the road? IMHO a razor and shaving cream. While most truck stops have outlets to plug in an electric razor not all do. If you really want to go electric then carry a razor or two and some shaving cream as a backup.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member

For boots i allways had good luck with redwings but there anywhere from 125-350. mine where 240.00 but the company i work for gives you 100 a year for boots so i paid 140.00.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd go with just about everything Uturn said, with the exception of cell phone... I have Sprint, which if you have questionable credit is cheaper to get and just as reliable. I used to run mapping and weather programs on my cell phone, and there were very few places I couldn't get signal.

I'd also say don't spend too much on your boots, but do make sure you break them in well before needing them, and make sure they are comfortable! Dr Scholls work boot insoles work well to help cushion your feet.

Gloves... comfortable and durable. I'm a woman with small hands, so my selection was usually rather slim, but I liked having two pairs of cowhide and a pair of Mechanix brand gloves in my truck at all times. One pair of the cowhide I keep specifically for fueling my rig - slippery diesel fuel on your gloves doesn't make it very easy to keep a hold on your winch bar....
Old 11-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I can usually find good quality steel toe shoes at J.C. Penney or Sears. You want to make sure to get something with good traction and support. Comfort is mandatory. I also keep a pair of military boots in the truck I use when there is heavy snow. Boots are a bit too warm to wear while driving. I prefer the gold toe socks. They are thicker than some and wear for a long time. They aren't too thick but are thick enough to provide some cushioning. You can find them at J.C. Penney.

I have been with Sprint for about 5 years. I have a signal most places I go. I think Cingular actually has the best nationwide coverage right now. Sprint still has the best rates. That is why I have stayed with them. I may switch when my current contract expires. I also have an air card for my computer with them.

Petro often has the best buy on gloves, if you can find a store which has about 5 pairs. I believe they are about $5. They run them on sale from time to time. You can also find them at most any truck stop, autoparts store, etc., I prefer cotton or cloth. Sometimes I buy cloth with leather on the palm.

I don't know where you live, but you can sometimes get a good buy on coveralls and jeans at Walls. Otherwise, I usually go to J.C. Penney when they have a good sale. Sears also has them as does WalMart. You don't want clothing which fits too tight. You will be doing a lot of sitting and you don't want anything which will bind. Comfort is the key.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

You got all the experts to reply, not much I can contribute...If youre a coffeenut like me, then either you install a household 11ov coffeemachine plugged to an inverter, or you get one of those super- green thermos's (stanley, I think) and fill up at a pilot TS or wherever you run across a good bean...those thermoses are the best, but not cheap at ca. $40
Old 11-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Cheap gloves get wet... buy leather insulated gloves, use a snow seal product, put it on heavy and bake them on a newspaper at 150 (when nobody is watching) :lol: Do the same with your boots. If your boots get wet at work, buy a boot drier, no fan type thing, just a low voltage warmer thing. Good socks will payoff. And put the warm stuff on before you get cold My 02
Old 11-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Buy a can/ jar of that snow seal stuff, put your new leather gloves on, scoop it out smear it on your boots, and all over your gloves, bake it at 150 and your gona want to buy me a beer in the spring :lol: