User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Talking to several employers

Talking to several employers even before I start my cdl school. I am almost signed up with the local community collegwe to do a nighttime class for 8 weeks starting in late february. I ahve already talked and applied with covenant transport. I will know as of tuesday if i have a conditioal offer of employment. I dont remember hearing any negatives about them. I have an app pack coming in the mail from werner. I have also applied with schneider and crst. Anyone worked with covenant as a trainee? good company? howsabout werner?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I ahve already talked and applied with covenant transport. I will know as of tuesday if i have a conditioal offer of employment. I dont remember hearing any negatives about them.
Do a search on them
Old 11-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Senior Board Member

The sound of those companies almost makes my face look like i bit a sour apple, search and you will find info on them here and search for a more reputable company that suits your needs. GL
Old 11-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Talk to your CDL school's placement office and see what companies they may send you to. Those big companies you mentioned are just going to make you a wheel holder and a slave to that truck. Find a small, local company that may take a chance on a guy fresh out of school. I think you will have a better outlook on the industry if you dont start with a big company, but you may have to START there, doesnt mean you have to stay there.

See my post about Dateline NBC, that guy could be your trainer.

Good Luck.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Talk to your CDL school's placement office and see what companies they may send you to. Those big companies you mentioned are just going to make you a wheel holder and a slave to that truck. Find a small, local company that may take a chance on a guy fresh out of school. I think you will have a better outlook on the industry if you dont start with a big company, but you may have to START there, doesnt mean you have to stay there.

See my post about Dateline NBC, that guy could be your trainer.

Good Luck.
Second that
Old 11-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Rookie

WOW!!! I guess maybe I'll definetley look around a bit. Maybe I can find a smaller company locally. I read that post on the covenant driver that got busted. Bet management is working overtime to try to keep that one quiet. thanks for the advice.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Senior Board Member

While CFI is not a "smaller local company" by any means....they are not a mega-carrier either. You might want to do a search here in this site using Skywalker and CFI as the searchwords. You do live in the hiring area, and you could do far worse than CFI.... in fact in my opinion all of the companies that you named....uh-uh, nope wouldn't go there.

If you are interested in more information regarding CFI, you can contact Christine at 1-800-641-4748, extension 5718....tell her Skywalker sent you. (Nope, nothing in it for me...just say HI! to her for me) and you can log on at http://www.cfidrivers.com and get more information and ask questions of the experienced drivers there as well as the students and others regarding their experiences with CFI. I drove for them for over 7 years until I was recently caused to have to change my employment due to personal family issues. Otherwise I would still be there.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Rookie

Thanks skywalker!! I have seen alot of cfi trucks on the road around here in my travels. I'm always running 50 and 301. I'll definetly give em a call this week. Thanks again!!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Rookie

Well the more companies I talk to the more I see that I definetly am going to put myself through school. A stevens transport recruiter called me today and basically without even reviewing the terma was ready to put me on a bus headed for dallas. After asking alot of questions I see why. No pay for 3 weeks of school, only a room and $70 a week to eat on. Then with no break you go out for 5 weeks with a "senior" trainer making a $350 a week salary. Then supposedly a 5 day break after which they team you with another trainee for 3 weeks and then you get your own truck. Why in the h**l would they team 2 drivers that still dont really know what they are doin yet? OH YEA PROFIT!! I think im startin to see how these large companies work. Not to mention you sign a contract that you work for them for a year after training or pay them $5,000 for your school. So i guess if they can you youre left with a bill for nothin. No thanks, I'll put myself through school and take my chances.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Rookie

Just got done with CDL School, Went out with trainer for a big company and they ran the piss out of me for 14 days. I got off the truck and came home. Now I am looking again. Check around.