User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default newbie with questions......

I just had some general questions for those here on the board.....

1. What drew you all to trucking?

2. How do I go about finding a good company to go with? I'd prefer to stay local here and some OTR. I live in West Virginia if you couldn't tell by the screename.

3. What's a realistic first year income?

4. What do you all do with your downtime while out on the road? Just incase you have a long layover or a restart.

5. How safe is trucking? Aside from accidents, I have a fear of getting kniffed at a truck stop :lol:

6. I'm currently in college and should finish my degree here in a few years. I've worked at my current job for almost 7 years now in a cubical. Am I crazy for being drawn to trucking?

Any info/feedback I could get would be very much appreciated. I enjoy reading everyone's insight into the industry.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:08 AM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

good luck
Old 11-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey - cool - a fellow hillbilly :wink:

Everyone has their own reasons that they are spending their lives on the road, away from friends and family, braving the ever changing roads and conditions. I honestly couldn't tell you why I decided to do it.

Depending on what part of WV you're from, local jobs can be pretty crappy there. I had the choice of hauling coal, logs, etc. Nope - sorry - I try to keep my truck off those curves as much as possible. Even when I go home I drop the trailer off within 1 mile of the interstate and bobtail the rest of the way in.

If you want to stay in the general area of WV and don't mind unloading the trailers, take a look at the companies that do the dollar accounts (Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar) - USXpress, Werner, Swift and Hogan are the most common to see in the hillbilly with those accounts. Most, if not all, of them will get you home weekly. Personally, though, there's no way I would do that job, but then again, that's my personal preference. I'd rather drive all over the country.

First year income - figure in the range of $30-35k. Also, remember that it will cost you in the range of $100-$150 per week to live on the road (food, drinks, etc). Many new drivers don't take this into consideration.

As far as downtime on the road, which hasn't happened much lately, I just kick back in the sleeper with a book and/or watch movies. I'm not one to sit in the truck stops and put my money in the video games. I work to hard for my money to give it away.

As long as you're very conscious of your surroundings, safety shouldn't be an issue. Just stay away from the really crappy truck stops whenever possible.

If you're currently in college, and close to getting your degree, stay there. Get your degree, then decide. If you start driving truck, when are you going to have the time to finish your degree? You're not crazy for being drawn to trucking. It's a very glamorous life. Just look at all the movies that portray us :wink: Seriously, this job isn't for everyone, just as every person isn't cut out for sitting in a cubicle. Well, now that I think of it, you'll still be in a cubicle, but you're cubicle will be doing 65mph and instead of clocking out and going home at the end of the day, you'll sleep and eat in that cubicle as well.

This job isn't for everyone is what I'm trying to get at. The bad part is that it ends up costing a new driver thousands of dollars and countless headaches if they spend the money to get their CDL and then decide a month or so after getting thier first job that they're not cut out to be a trucker. For me, the investment was well worth it. I love being out on the road, seeing the sun rise and set in a different place every time, seeing the sights (even if it is through a windshield) and not knowing what's waiting over the horizon from me.

It's a decision only you can make.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:24 AM
Rookie

I guess what draws me to the open road is the freedom of the job. Not to mention that when I was in the military I'd drive back and forth from North Carolina to WV all the time. Loved it. But, don't worry, I'm staying in school until I get my degree. I guess when it comes to driving truck, it may just have to be one of those things that I have try out. If it's not for me, then I know at least I tried and that desire will be put to bed. I really do appreciate the feedback from everyone on this board. It's nice to get some ideas from those in the field itself and different viewpoints.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: newbie with questions......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerfan
1. What drew you all to trucking?
Needed a job, already had the license, figured "what the hell".

Quote:
2. How do I go about finding a good company to go with?
That is almost the million dollar question. Good luck.

Quote:
3. What's a realistic first year income?
$25-$35K.

Quote:
4. What do you all do with your downtime while out on the road? Just incase you have a long layover or a restart.
Sleep.

Quote:
5. How safe is trucking?
Statistically, trucking is one of the most dangerous jobs around - even more so than being a city cop in many instances.
Quote:
Aside from accidents, I have a fear of getting kniffed at a truck stop :lol:
Not an issue if you are aware of your surroundings and exercise good judgement.

Quote:
Am I crazy for being drawn to trucking?
Probably. It certainly helps.