User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Construction Driver

I was wondering if anyone has experience as a Construction Driver. The definition given by my state site goes like this “Construction Drivers operate vehicles involved in the construction industry such as Belly Dumps, End dumps, Articulating End-dumps, Rock Buggies, Mixer Trucks, Water Trucks, Boom Trucks, Crew Bus, Forklifts, Fuel Trucks, and other kinds of vehicles used in the construction of facilities, dams, airports, highways, Ice roads. Drivers work in the sand and gravel, cement and asphalt, and oil and gas industries.” I’m really considering a career in this field and was wanting to know who has been in this field. If you have, please tell me your experience as one, the things you liked about it, and the things you didn’t, and any other advise. I’m trying to gather as much info about this job as I can. Thanks!

,tony
Old 11-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Rookie

That job description is pretty typical. It's the same as the one I see in GA on the employment websites. I started with dumps. I liked the variety (stone, asphalt). Not so much the brush hauling, etc. I did most of my work with grading and paving, so went on into scapers, dozers, loaders, graders. So if you are into that sort of stuff, it can be rewarding. I did NOT like the fact that there wasn't work when raining (unless, like me you could also do mechanical/maint work) It's up to the individual, but I liked sites away from town because fighting the traffic while grossing 60000# or more is terrible. You are home every night unless you get with a contractor who takes you two states over for a job for x amount of time.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I have been in that type of work for a long time. It was all local work for me and I was home every night. I liked it. I enjoyed hauling heavy equipment. Dump trailer work is nice also. Auto door and tarp, you don't even have to get out of the truck for that. MUST be on even ground when dumping a dump trailer. Inexperience or over confidence will make a trailer go over. Demo work in dump trailer is dirty and will beat your trailer up. Sand, rock and dirt, gravel, etc is good clean stuff. If you do get into that, make sure you watch when you get loaded. Some guys will overload you if you don't say anything. YOU tell them when there is enough in the truck. Hauling equipment is not as hard as you might think. You need the right guy to show you how to tie down and how the equipment goes on the trailer. Don't forget your heights with equipment loads. If you don't know the height, climb up and measure it yourself. I did local moving with a company, so I did not have to worry about permits and things of that nature. Also, easy to get caught on railroad crossings if not paying attention, or uneven ground for that matter. Fuel oil is also not bad. I did both bulk tanker and 10 wheel job site work. Watch out if you fuel up machinery. You will take an oil bath if not careful. All of the construction jobs that I have worked have paid well. If you have any specific questions, just ask.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Rookie

Sidman, good points all about hauling equipment. A person just needs to make sure they don't get over-confident with regard to operating what you haul. It's embarrassing to be by yourself at 9pm loading a piece and having it slide off the side of the lowboy/trailer. Right again about the dump trailers. I can't tell you how many drivers would INSIST on trying to dump in my stone spreader or paver in a curve! Great way to ruin productivity for everyone and wreck the truck. Also, if you are thinking of owning, the business case for dumps is not bad at all if you do it correctly and act like a business man. BUT, get the work first and know what you are doing with the dump truck before you buy or lease.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
Some guys will overload you if you don't say anything. YOU tell them when there is enough in the truck.
That is very true. It is your rear if your overloaded and it causes a tire blowout going down the road. I had a quarry loader that loaded me heavy one time. I was about 2 tons over for the truck but still under what the quarry would allow me to haul by half a ton. When I went back for my next load, I would not let him load me. You also have to watch out for the one's who don't know how to load a truck, they will put it all on one side or the other and that is very dangerous when you take a turn or curve. Do not allow them to overload you, it's your truck, your rules. I refused to move my truck when a loader decided I didn't have enough debris in my truck and put 2 extra scoops in after I told him not to. Got my boss on the phone, he told me to dump the load where I sat and have him try loading me again.

Hauling equipment is neat as heck. I enjoy hauling equipment more than running loads in the dump truck.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:01 AM

I'm licensed just under two years and am presently delivering shingles to residential customers using a Moffet(truck mounted forklift). Lots of hours, good equipment, good pay and great boss. I got my start on a 5 ton flatbed truck with hydraulic brakes and a syncro tranny delivering lumber and sometimes operating the forklift. I did this for 10 months for low pay and irregular hours just to get the experience. It's also very important during this 'apprenticeship' to keep your license clean and try to work as professionally as possible. When applying for a new(and better) job try to give them more than they expect of an employee...
example:
- tell them you can maintain and do minor repairs to the truck
- willing to work weekends
- perform any warehouse/yard work when not driving
- offer to pay on your own for training on the forklift
Old 11-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Rookie

great advise guys! i've found a company in my state (Alaska) that offers a 2 year apprenticeship program for a "construction driver". there is also a pretty good school that has a 6 week couse on construction driving. both seem really great. what would you guys recommend?
Old 11-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Senior Board Member

2 years seems like a long time to me. But if the company pays you good enough to make ends meet it might be worth it. I would try to find somebody who went to that school to see if it is worth while. Also, call some companies up to see if they hire after completing school, if not, the job might be the better choice. By the way, I used to fish up there on the trawlers. My uncle worked on the pipeline for about 15 years. He, after many years finally made it down to the states. It is a beautiful place in the summer, but man is it cold in the winter. Good luck.