User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Age requirements

Hello everyone again, I have a question regarding age requirements to be hired as a driver. I'm currently only 20, turn 21 in a little more than a month. Many companies say their minimum age requirement is 21, but I have read on here that many places won't hire a 21 year old very often. Is this true? I've waited over a year now with the desire to get into this career. I'm single and plan to stay that way. Would I have as good of a shot as an older applicant, or not?

Just to throw this in too, I think it wouldn't make much sense to not hire at 21, because at the age of 18 you can serve in the military, vote, buy tobacco, among other things. At 21, you can buy/consume alcohol, but you can't drive a truck? That wouldn't make much sense to me, so is it true?

Sorry for the lenghty post. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Minimum Age Reguirements

The minimum age reguirements are driven more by the carrier's insurance company than law or regulation. Fed law states 21 to be an interstate driver, 18 for intrastate (within a state). Unfortunately, people under the age of 25 don't have a good statistical record of being safe drivers. BOL
Old 10-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Age requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
Hello everyone again, I have a question regarding age requirements to be hired as a driver. I'm currently only 20, turn 21 in a little more than a month. Many companies say their minimum age requirement is 21, but I have read on here that many places won't hire a 21 year old very often. Is this true? I've waited over a year now with the desire to get into this career. I'm single and plan to stay that way. Would I have as good of a shot as an older applicant, or not?

Just to throw this in too, I think it wouldn't make much sense to not hire at 21, because at the age of 18 you can serve in the military, vote, buy tobacco, among other things. At 21, you can buy/consume alcohol, but you can't drive a truck? That wouldn't make much sense to me, so is it true?

Sorry for the lenghty post. Thanks in advance.

Federal law for OTR requires you to be 21. While interstate can use drivers 18 year old's.

Many companies require drivers to be 23 with at least 2 years driving experience. I've seem some require 5 years experience. Most of that has to do with insurance.

As with most things employers want someone that is stable. That comes with time. That being said there are many companies that do hire 21 year old's. Many are not the best but they will give you a chance to build driving time. After a couple of years many additional positions will open for you.

The worst thing a new driver can do is keep quiting jobs. Take your time to find the company that best fits you. You must also understand truck driving is different than most 9-5 jobs. It's more like a lifestyle. It's a hard life style and the drop out rate is quite high. I've seem some that showed a rate as high as 200%.

kc0iv