User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TELL the truth leave nothing out

okay the job i work now pay little to nothing, i been doing warehose for some time i clear only 350 a week... and been think about trucking because the pshyical work and killing myself ..im thinking about getting in the trucking field

question i have is...1. drivng a truck what hard about it??
2.reading maps getting lost tips
3.going in ruff neighborhoods..protection
4.is it better to start off as a team or solo,,and when doing team do they pair you up with somebody or you just pick ya girlfriend?? what it you single and want teams..
5.and say i finish class training etc say im at snider trucking and they claim to start 27cents mile what will my check look like on a average will i aleast clear
500 dollars???. because i dont want a big check one week then a 200 dollar check the next..
also are you capable of getting enough sleep??
5. taking showers at truck stops are they filty...??? so shower tips?? wear flips etc???
6. entertainment suggestion mp3,tv,???
7. and sex while on the road is lizard lots the only resort???
Old 10-04-2006, 06:06 PM

OK, lets see if I can shed some light on some things

1. Whats hard about it? irregular schedules, traffic congestion, occasionally having to load or unload by hand, driving sometimes up to 700 miles a day while keeping focused and alert, dealing with 4 wheelers that have no concept of what it takes to stop an 80,000 pound vehicle. You might be sitting down all day, but you are definately working. Some days, after running rush hour in a major city for example, you will be totally drianed when you park. SOmetimes you'll be worn out from the erratic hours.

2. Map reading is a learned skill, it comes with practice (though some people are naturally good at it.) Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple really (until you catch a delivery on some street that isn't on your map (and a lot of city streets aren't on your atlas) and you get lousy directions from dispatch. Even then, help is often only a shout on the CB away, sometimes a phone call to the shipper / receiver does the trick as well.

3. Yes you will go into some rough neighborhoods. Depending on what you haul and where you do most of your driving, it could be often or seldom. You'll also run across the occasional truck stop that is less than desirable. Your best protection is keeping your doors locked and remaining alert when you are out of the truck. Stay in well lit areas when possible and don't open your doors when someone knocks on them. Beyond that, a tire thumper is a popular thing. Personally, I carry a 5 iron, it's a tire thumper, king pin release puller and self defense weapon. Firearms aren't recommended as the laws vary so greatly from place to place (what Arizona will allow California will put you in jail for, etc. etc.) And never try to carry a firearm into Canada.

4. Team or solo is strictly a personal preferance. Some people love running team. I suppose it always gives you someone to talk to. Me, I'm strictly a solo driver. I can't sleep while someone else is driving. I also don't like the idea of being locked in a rolling box with another person, I know we'd get on each others nerves in short order. Others love it and could surely tell you the benefits of it.

As far as building a team goes. You can team with a girlfriend or wife or friend if you like. If you have no one you wish to drive with, most team oriented companies will help you in finding a co driver.

5. $500 a week gross would be totally simple to achieve. $500 net would be possible (assuming .27 a mile and a 40% tax and benefits burden, that would work out to a little over 3000 miles a week, possible for someone who runs hard, but most companies will tell you their average is about 2500 a week.)

And yes, miles will vary from week to week. For some drivers they vary radically. IMO the best way to avoid this is by being the best driver you can be. Pick up and deliver on time, be willing to run hard, don't turn down loads (unless there is no way you can run them legally,) don't complain about every little thing, be professional and friendly, and in general, stay on the good side of your dispatcher. Dispatchers have a habit of keeping good drivers under freight and rolling. Problem drivers tend to sit and wait on dispatch a lot more.

And yes, once you adjust to sleeping in a 70" bunk, you can get plenty of sleep. You can only legally drive 11 hours at a time, and that has to be in a 14 hour window. After that you have to take 10 hours off. 10 hours should be plenty of time to shower, eat and get a good nights rest. You just have to make your bunk as comfortable as possible, adjust to a varied sleep schedule (you won't be able to stop, sleep or wake up at exactly the same times every day) and actually sleep instead of spending 6 hours playing video games.

6. there are lots of entertainment options, from DVD's to video games to satellite TV to books to watching movies in a truck stop. Let your tastes and your budget decide. The only real reccomendation I make on that is to get yourself an XM radio unit, you'll be glad you did.

7. Sex on the road is a minefield. Your choice is either lot lizards, or the kind of girl that will sleep with anyone. Neither is a very safe option. BTW, keep the lizards out of your truck. The horror stories abound (though I have no first hand knowledge.) Beyond the diseases, there are many stories of guys being robbed and the like. And of course if you get caught in a police sting, you'll go to jail and your truck will go to impound and boy will your company be ticked off. As a rule, your gonna be fired for such things. SOme area take this to an extreme (based on what I've heard and read) they arrest you, impound the truck, call your employer, call your home and talk to your wife, and publish your name in the paper. This is a no win situation.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: TELL the truth leave nothing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmurder
This is a joke right?

How about risking your driver's lisense and your livelihood (not to mention your life) every day for less than minimum wage. Can you think of another job that requires you to put more on the line for less pay? Most people can't drive 15,000 miles without an accident or ticket of some sort....that will cost you your job if you're a driver.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: TELL the truth leave nothing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmurder
This is a joke right?

How about risking your driver's lisense and your livelihood (not to mention your life) every day for less than minimum wage. Can you think of another job that requires you to put more on the line for less pay? Most people can't drive 15,000 miles without an accident or ticket of some sort....that will cost you your job if you're a driver.
Highwayman... is that you? :lol:

I drive TEAM, and I've driven about 125,000 miles out of the 250,000 miles put on my truck this last year. No accidents, scrapes, bumps or tickets.

But... it IS a lot of responsibility.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Nope, not highwayman.

By saying most drivers can't go 15,000 miles without a ticket or an accident, I was referring to 85% of the drivers on the road......4 wheelers.

I still say there is no occupation that requires more for less. Except a soldier during war time.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
1. drivng a truck what hard about it??
Everything. Tight delievery and pickup schedules. Manuevering a 53 foot trailer in an area meant for a 45 foot. Heavy traffic. Other drivers not paying attention and seeminly daringyou to run over them, and the list goes on.

Quote:
2.reading maps getting lost tips
This is part of what is called trip planning. You write look up your route on the map, double check it with info in the front of the atlas, revise your route if need be, and do what you can to know where you are going by getting firections from your company and/or the shipper/reciever.

Quote:
3.going in ruff neighborhoods..protection
Common sense. Do not spend the night in those areas thinking you will be first to get loaded/unloaded at night. Keep your trailer doors locked. Keep the truck doors locked. Keep your mouth shut and pay attention to what is going on around you.

Quote:
4.is it better to start off as a team or solo,,and when doing team do they pair you up with somebody or you just pick ya girlfriend?? what it you single and want teams..
There is no better here. It is a matter of personal choice. You will spend the first 6 weeks or so with a trainer unless you hire on with some fly by night company.

Quote:
5.and say i finish class training etc say im at snider trucking and they claim to start 27cents mile what will my check look like on a average will i aleast clear
500 dollars???. because i dont want a big check one week then a 200 dollar check the next..
It is entirely possible to have a small check one week and a big one the next. It all depends on what day your trip ends and how soon the company gets and processes the paperwork form that trip. As far as clearing $500 a week that may be hard to do. A lot will depend on how smart you work, your tax situation, and what type of deductions you may have (ie child support, health insurance, etc).

Quote:
also are you capable of getting enough sleep??
For every 11 hours of driving and/or 14 total clock hours you are required to take a 10 hour break. Now if you can not get enough rest in that 10 hours something is wrong somewhere.

Quote:
5. taking showers at truck stops are they filty...??? so shower tips?? wear flips etc???
Some are cleaner than others. Just like a locker room situation though you should wear shower shoes/flip flops to protect your feet. (truck stop showers are private).

Quote:
6. entertainment suggestion mp3,tv,???
Depends on what you are into. Some drivers love to read and keep several books handy, others like movies and have a tv and vcr or dvd player in the truck, some like nintendo type games. I think you get the idea. Just do not expect to be allowed to take out the trucks stereo system and install your own. Most companies take a dim view of any modifications being made to the truck.

Quote:
7. and sex while on the road is lizard lots the only resort???
Are you serious. If you are concenred with sex while on the road then you just need to stay home. Serious drivers are out there to make money, not to get laid even on a part time, once in a blue moon basis.