User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Werner question

For those of you that drive for Werner, or have driven for them in the past, or just know the answer to this question, I wanted to ask about starting with them.

Do they have a company training program or do they just hire out of certain truck driving schools?

If they hire out of schools only, can you apply before going to school and get pre-hired or do you have to wait until you have your CDL?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I started with Werner and was pre hired before i graudated my trucking school. After graduation went ont he road with there trainer for 6 weeks and then got a truck of my own.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Rookie

I'm pretty sure they have a cdl training program. I am in school at this time and have a prehire for when I graduate 12-3-06. call this number and ask your questions...1-800-346-2818.

http://www.werner.com/content/home/

BOL
Old 10-08-2006, 05:20 AM
Board Regular

Keep in mind that a "pre-hire" is not a firm offer of employment. It just means that you have meet their basic minimal requirements.

Large companies like Werner will often bring in 40 "pre-hired" candidates for orientation, but will actually end up "hiring" only 30. The rest will be sent back home at their own expenses due to physical/ drug screen results, tickets, background checks, etc.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Werner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
For those of you that drive for Werner, or have driven for them in the past, or just know the answer to this question, I wanted to ask about starting with them.

Do they have a company training program or do they just hire out of certain truck driving schools?

If they hire out of schools only, can you apply before going to school and get pre-hired or do you have to wait until you have your CDL?

Thanks.
Well, there's a CDL driving school in the Dallas, TX terminal called TDI. I think those graduates go to work for Werner after graduation. There might be something similiar to that in Allentown, but I highly doubt it. I haven't been there enough to know for sure. I'd call one of the recruiters and ask them.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:04 AM
Rookie

Just an opinion, not an actual contribution.

As I walk from my car to my truck I see what I believe to be the Werner Dallas terminal TDI training facility. I felt very sorry for them. What I saw were groups of people sweating, laying on the dirty asphalt underneath empty Werner trailers in the summer heat, while waiting on and watching other students perform backing maneuvers. Perhaps there is more conditioning being amongst the hundreds of drivers swarming within the area streets, which makes it more appealing to would be drivers. I would hope there is a separate offsite area that I?m unaware of; it just appeared they were being treated like homeless stray dogs. :cry:
Old 10-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Rookie

does anyone know how much Werner is paying? Their website only show "average" per mile for first 2 years.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:44 PM

you will get paid .26 per mile if yer a rookie for 48 state, not sure on pay for regional or dedicated. the pay sucks, but they do pay for all your tolls, toll cards for oh and in, transponders for ok and ks, and ez pass, and of course they have prepass. so it all depends. people say werner sucks, but i think a company is whatcha make of it. the way you view the company is how you are with fleet manager. BOL to you.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
you will get paid .26 per mile if yer a rookie for 48 state, not sure on pay for regional or dedicated. the pay sucks, but they do pay for all your tolls, toll cards for oh and in, transponders for ok and ks, and ez pass, and of course they have prepass. so it all depends. people say werner sucks, but i think a company is whatcha make of it. the way you view the company is how you are with fleet manager. BOL to you.

Yeah but no matter what realtionship you have with your fleet manager or what you try to make of it....----------.26x 100,000 miles is still only 26,000.........MC' WERNER.......
Old 10-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Rookie
Default werner

i drove for them, i had heard bad stories about their training program, the blind leading the blind...etc....., well i got a good trainer and when i finished training i got a nice pete 379 to run with.....it ran 67mph!!!! haha but it was a nice truck anyways. I'm not saying you need to speed, but in states that allow higher limits that means more money for your available hours....and between the qualcomm logs eating up your hours and frequent shag runs across some metro area during rush hour, mixed with the run of 200 miles before waiting several hours because you got swapped onto another shag run... well that doesn't leave many hours to make money with.

werner will PRE-HIRE a lot of people out of driving schools, they will HIRE most of those people, and train them while paying what works out to well below minimum wage, all while running them as a team operation with their trainers, it really is quite a good deal for the company!!

they will hire you, they will train you, but so will a lot of other companies,

some people stay with werner for their whole career, it depends on the people

if you're in school now go to the truck stops and find that company you're looking at, ask the drivers about the company, pay, equipment, miles, your school should have a list of what to ask about...

most drivers will give you a minute of their time if they like the company, many will not shut up if they don't like the company!!!

good luck and be safe