User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default more TMC ? and long haul?

If you drive for TMC they say you are suppost to get so many weekend a year home now if you want to stay out every other weekend and run will they let you really curious about this for my first year. Now about long haul does it pay more seeing how you are home lot less these are important question to me as I am leaving a 35000.00 a year job to persue a truck driving career
Old 10-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

If there is freight in your area you may as well plan on spending your 34 hour reset at home. A lot of shippers and receivers are going to be closed over the weekend anyway. On the long haul and being out 14 days (or more in my case) you can take that 34 hour reset every 6th day and gain a few hours. If it is a drop and hook load that doesn't matter when you arrive then you may get more miles/money on the long haul, but if you are stuck waiting for 48 hours to live unload and reload that will send your paycheck down the drain.

I believe that Fred took a long haul load and stayed out over one weekend by choice. Perhaps you could do the same occasionally if you wanted to. The difference is that short hauls pay more for less work BUT you will have more waiting time so it can average out.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 10-02-2006, 01:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Don't know if the long hauls pay more on average than the shorter runs. Makes sense that they might. As far as staying out, you're free to do so. Just let your dispatcher know that you don't really care about getting home for the weekend. Try to get him/her to line you up with a 1000+ miles for a good weekend run. You ought to be able to get it most of the time.