User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hang in there.........

Just wanted to send out some encouragement to those guys who are looking for those jobs to go over the road,i.e. the ones with trucking experience,just not OTR experience. Since getting out of the military I have been with my state DOT doing hwy maint. work.
I always wanted to go over the road,but my military experience didnt count. So I worked for the state driving for the past 2 years and got some experience.
Today I went and took my physical for a local company hauling sand in pneumatics over 48 states(mostly the southwest though) and as soon as my drug screen comes back I'll take my company road test and be assigned my truck. I'll be sent out with other more experienced drivers to train on the trailers for a few weeks,then I'm on my own.
All of this has come with nothing out of my pocket. No school other than marine corps driving school.
So hang in there fellow Newb's. If you want the job without getting your wallets cleaned out,the opportunities are out there. Just gotta be patient and do the legwork to "git'r done"

See y'all soon.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:32 AM

Just wanted to give a little update. My job is going great. I average about 800 take home per week. I get to the house every couple nights. My dog gets to ride with me.
I drive an 03 379. Has 370,000 miles(give or take). The work is easy for the most part,you choose your loads(normally) And usually stay southwest regional.
I still love my dadgum job!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 05:39 AM
Board Regular
Default good luck

good luck
Old 09-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Rookie

I have a good friend who spent 20 yrs. in the Navy. The VA paid his way to attend a driving school in Texarkana. But he made the mistake of going to work for USA Truck. I met him when we were driving dump trucks locally. I made the move to OTR tanker & got him on w/ my co. I have since had enough of living in a truck & have gone local again but he is still out there & bringing home a good paycheck.

Community college is really the best way to go. I don't think you would have any trouble getting help. I got my start in the 70s with a driving school in Portland, OR. Paid $1200 (a lot of money back then). There weren't the proliferation of training companies like there are today. About the only choices were driving schools or having a trucker friend/relative train you.