User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Laptop computers

All of you that are OTR drivers, how many of you have a laptop computer you take with you while you are away?

Those of you that do, how much did it cost you and what kind of computer is it?

How does internet access work out for you being in different places all the time, what methods do you use to access the internet on your laptop?

As far as navigation programs go, do you have those on your laptop also, or do you access them some other way?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
All of you that are OTR drivers, how many of you have a laptop computer you take with you while you are away?

Those of you that do, how much did it cost you and what kind of computer is it?

How does internet access work out for you being in different places all the time, what methods do you use to access the internet on your laptop?

As far as navigation programs go, do you have those on your laptop also, or do you access them some other way?
I have an HP Pavilion DV8113cl that I bought at Sam's Club. Its cost was in the neighborhood of about $1,200. However, if you're only going to use a laptop for internet access & mapping, you don't need a high-end machine. I use my laptop for pretty much everything: entertainment via tv tuner & movies on hard drives, finances via Quicken, log book via Drivers Daily Log, etc.

For internet access, I have a Sprint connection card. So far, I don't think I've found a place in the country without access. Some places are faster than others, but it's always there - cost is $59.99/month unlimited.

Navigation, I use Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 & CoPilot Laptop Truck 9.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:59 PM

I already have built in wireless in my lap top. Does everyone have to buy a card specifically for this? Also their coverage area may be decent compared to other wireless broadband, but damnit it's got overall I'd say less than 5% of the country covered. MY city isn't covered, the only two that are in my state are Atlanta and the college town Athens.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Senior Board Member

My laptop has built in wireless as well, but it's not the same as mobile broadband service that the cell phone companies offer. I use Sprint.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Board Regular

I have an IBM Thinkpad T43 with a 1.86gHz Centrino, 60gig HD, 2 gigs of ram (512 mB stock), DVD/CD combo burner, etc. I picked it because the Thinkpads are rugged little laptops (metal hinges and magnesium top case) and the Thinkpad has the awesome pencil-eraser mouse nub in the middle of the keyboard. Another great feature is the LED light at the top of the scfreen that illuminates the keyboard - which I found by accident after a few weeks. It has active shock detection that shuts don the HD instantly. It also has biometric security- you have to swipe a finger over a fingerprint reader to access the computer on power-up, after it is closed, or after it hibernates.

I paid +/- $1250 for it, NIB from www.overstock.com with free shipping. It arrived in 36 hours.

It has built-in wireless I can use when available, but I have a Sprint Mobile Broadband card that I use everywhere else. I have NEVER been anywhere I couldn't connect.

I use Google maps and/or Google earth for navigation, but I think I will buy a Garmin GPS USB antenna/software set-up for a real-time 15" scrolling map. Of course then I would have to get a RAM mount for it.

Also, a tip to those who use EVDO cars like the Sprint- Get a Wilson dual-band cellular mirror-mount antenna and adaptor for the external jack. It's a little Star-Treky with the radials or what not, but I get 6 bars of signal everywhere now it seems, and it speeds up the conection greatly. I got 1166 down speed yesterday at my yard, whereas I usualy ranged between 450-850 down beforehand.

It's good enough to feed my Warcraft addiction lately.

-p.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:34 AM

I wouldn't mind doing it, better than the 160 I pay for comcast at home right now, but I'd need proof it works 'everywhere'. On their coverage map it litterally covers probably only 5% of the country. I know for a fact that it says it doesn't cover my city.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuzzyGnu
I have an IBM Thinkpad T43 with a 1.86gHz Centrino, 60gig HD, 2 gigs of ram (512 mB stock), DVD/CD combo burner, etc. I picked it because the Thinkpads are rugged little laptops (metal hinges and magnesium top case) and the Thinkpad has the awesome pencil-eraser mouse nub in the middle of the keyboard. Another great feature is the LED light at the top of the scfreen that illuminates the keyboard - which I found by accident after a few weeks. It has active shock detection that shuts don the HD instantly. It also has biometric security- you have to swipe a finger over a fingerprint reader to access the computer on power-up, after it is closed, or after it hibernates.

I paid +/- $1250 for it, NIB from www.overstock.com with free shipping. It arrived in 36 hours.

It has built-in wireless I can use when available, but I have a Sprint Mobile Broadband card that I use everywhere else. I have NEVER been anywhere I couldn't connect.

I use Google maps and/or Google earth for navigation, but I think I will buy a Garmin GPS USB antenna/software set-up for a real-time 15" scrolling map. Of course then I would have to get a RAM mount for it.

Also, a tip to those who use EVDO cars like the Sprint- Get a Wilson dual-band cellular mirror-mount antenna and adaptor for the external jack. It's a little Star-Treky with the radials or what not, but I get 6 bars of signal everywhere now it seems, and it speeds up the conection greatly. I got 1166 down speed yesterday at my yard, whereas I usualy ranged between 450-850 down beforehand.

It's good enough to feed my Warcraft addiction lately.

-p.
Come up here where I live and I Bet you can't connect with it :P
Old 10-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

I live in rural west virginia. My cell phone won't even work here. But, I'm using the sprint card right now, downloading at about 20k/sec.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:29 AM

Anyone out there use Mac? I am soon to be otr and I have a Mac Powerbook G-4 with airport card. I get internet service via T-mobile @ hotspot places like Starbucks. What do I need to have internet otr. I know T-mobile has that service but will it work on Mac. I don't have a slot for any card thingy I have seen at cell phone stores. Am I going to have to get a windows type laptop??
Old 10-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Senior Board Member

I have a Winbook, cost me about $800.00. http://www.winbook.com You will not see the ads for these computers unless you read Fortune 500 magazines. The laptops are made for "professional travelling business people". I've had mine for about two years now....and haven't had a single problem with it.

I connect to the web with a T-Mobile GC89 Aircard that is both wi-fi and GPRS capable. I can use it most anywhere in the country. No roaming charges either Costs me $49.99 a month for unlimited access to the web. Little devil sniffs out all available wi-fi nets too... 8) I can use any of the T-Mobile hotspots as they are included in the fee as well.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.