User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default High Expectations??? Please Help!!!

First of all I want to say that I?m so glad this forum is here. I have learned a lot because I know zero about trucking. My fianc? of several years and I are planning to go to a local technical center for 8 weeks at a cost of $1,450 each starting August 21st. We have no kids and don?t plan on having any. So, we don?t care how much home time we get as long as we can bring our dog.

Because we were both hourly paid employees before this I?m trying to get an idea of how many hours a day we will be actually working for the money besides the fact that even when you have off time you are still away from home and cannot necessarily do what you want to do. This of course is all contingent on me being able to drive a semi.

I have looked at U.S. Xpress website. So here is a hypothetical example: Teams average 5,000 miles per week. The pay per mile for teams is .40; split .20 each (after orientation and company training). On average for every 7 days you are out you get a day off. So, let?s say we are out 21 days and then come home for 3. Now for the 3 weeks out I?m assuming you would take a couple of days off during that time. 5,000 miles divided by 6 days = 833 miles/day, divided by 2 of us = 416 miles each/day divided by 55 mph, is about 8 hrs. of driving for each of us a day not including meal breaks, rest breaks, logbook time, tractor-trailer inspections, weigh station time, unloading/loading. Now if this 5,000 miles is straight GPS and not ?practical miles,? I guess we will be driving more hours a day to get that pay. I keep seeing ads of $50,000 gross a year per person. Is this a realistic expectation with us working as a team or would we have to break laws and work very long hours? Or is $50,000 realistic after the first year? If not what should we expect?

Has anyone ever had a run to Alaska, or does any company offer such runs?

We want to make money, but also make it an enjoyable experience, is this possible? Any comments appreciated.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Rookie

Ok I am still green to this whole thing also. I will offer up my 2 cents though and see if maybe I am way off base.
It is my understanding that teams don't split the $.40 they split the miles. so a team avgs 5000 miles then split the miles at $.40 each. Which would then give you 2500 miles each at $.40. Giving you $.05 more than a solo driver per mile giving you a bump from the avg 35k per to 40k per year.
As far as how long you work. Well, Teams are always rollin. When your driving 11 she takes 10 off and vice versa. There are of course ways to spend some good time out of the drivers seat together.
That I think would depend on how your run goes and how you split up your drive/off time to overlap each other.
All this of course is estimates and could be way off base if it is then maybe future post can clear it up for me also..I hope this helps even a lil bit..lol

Good luck

Bill
Old 07-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Spilt the miles or split the pay, it still comes out the same. The theory on teams is that you can keep the truck moving so you can get double the miles as a solo driver. Reality for most big companies, you will get less than double the miles of a solo driver. So in reality a team member will probably have less of an income than a solo driver. Unless of course the company pays more than double the solo driver pay for teams. A husband and wife team might be ok if you just want to spend time together. Quality time? Thats another story....like he said, most of the time, you will be sleeping while your better half is working....or vice versa.
But Im convinced after working in this industry for many years....on average solo drivers make better money.
Now, can you make 50 grand your first year. Sure, its been done.....but not that common.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: High Expectations??? Please Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastboundanddown

Has anyone ever had a run to Alaska, or does any company offer such runs?
As for this part of your post, here is a thread on companies that run to Alaska. http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ghlight=alaska

You are looking at needing a few years experience though before a company will send you up here.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Now for the 3 weeks out I?m assuming you would take a couple of days off during that time.
Why would you assume that? The whole point to running a team truck is to keep that truck moving. One drives, the other sleeps, then you switch, stopping only for fuel, loading/unloading, and an occasional restaurant dinner. You are supposed to take your days off during your home time.

Quote:
5,000 miles divided by 6 days = 833 miles/day, divided by 2 of us = 416 miles each/day divided by 55 mph, is about 8 hrs. of driving for each of us a day not including meal breaks, rest breaks, logbook time, tractor-trailer inspections, weigh station time, unloading/loading. Now if this 5,000 miles is straight GPS and not ?practical miles,? I guess we will be driving more hours a day to get that pay.
You better believe it. Why do you think the trucking mantra is "Work 100 hours, log 70 hours, get paid for 40 hours"?

Quote:
I keep seeing ads of $50,000 gross a year per person. Is this a realistic expectation with us working as a team or would we have to break laws and work very long hours? Or is $50,000 realistic after the first year?
For a team that runs, $50K is not unreasonable. BUT, a team that runs has NO life outside the truck - you dirve and sleep and that is it. You can make that money legally, but you will still put in long hours.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member

In my limited view of the world ..

Barring things like dedicated expedited freight and things like that comparing solo to team ..

I think for companies that truly have 99% - 100% solo utilization then going solo will probably be more profitable and less headache. If the solo utilization is lower than the team .. then there is more potential for running team ...

1. Depending on the company .. teams get priority on loads. So the teams get the longer loads that are drop and hook as opposed to the 400 mile live load/unload involving impossible docks and a consignee deep in the middle of nowhere where maps do not exist or the city where it takes forever to get through traffic.

Some companies have a solo driver pick that load up and the team drop the load at a terminal where a solo driver takes that load into that situation. That means that the team is truly running at highway speeds all the time while the solo drivers might have more time spent at city speeds.

(note the old salts in this group would say that you log an average .. but at least the team is logging the miles legally)

2. A team is more available for a load. Good loads might be ready in your area .. but since you are probably on your rest break when this great load pops up . somebody else gets it syndrome.

I will report my experinces starting Monday ..
Old 07-21-2006, 01:29 AM
Board Regular
Default NOT US XPRESS!!!

good luck!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman
For a team that runs, $50K is not unreasonable. BUT, a team that runs has NO life outside the truck - you dirve and sleep and that is it. You can make that money legally, but you will still put in long hours.
Exactly why I ditched the big rig.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am a little confused. You said that you were late because your trainer was gambling? That was the fault of the company? And if you go out of route, you are expected to reimburse the company for those miles? It was the company who forced you to drive out of route? And you are mad because there is a delay in getting your fuel paid for when you buy from a fuel stop where you are not supposed to stop? It may have been an inconvenience for you, but probably cost the company a lot of extra money.

I don't see how the company can be held accountable for your decisions. From your posting, it seems to me that you want to blame them for what you and your trainer did. When you take a load, and there is a delivery time, you know how long you have to get from point a to point b. If you cannot make the delivery it is up to you to alert the company and/or receiver. If you decide to take a side trip to gamble or for any other reason, that is not the fault of the company. It is a decision you made. All you are doing is seeing the consequences of your actions. Perhaps you should be honest with yourself and take responsibility for decisions you made, not the company. Frankly, if this is the way you acted and worked while with them, I am surprised that they kept you on the payroll. :?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman
Quote:
Now for the 3 weeks out I?m assuming you would take a couple of days off during that time.
Why would you assume that? The whole point to running a team truck is to keep that truck moving. One drives, the other sleeps, then you switch, stopping only for fuel, loading/unloading, and an occasional restaurant dinner. You are supposed to take your days off during your home time.
I'll take issue with that Highwayman. With the current hours of service limits most teams are going to sit one day a week doing their 34 hour restart. They could of course work fewer hours per day and 7 days a week continuous, but that is another story.

Quote:
5,000 miles divided by 6 days = 833 miles/day, divided by 2 of us = 416 miles each/day divided by 55 mph, is about 8 hrs. of driving for each of us a day not including meal breaks, rest breaks, logbook time, tractor-trailer inspections, weigh station time, unloading/loading. Now if this 5,000 miles is straight GPS and not ?practical miles,? I guess we will be driving more hours a day to get that pay.
Yeah, but if you can't get 416 miles in your 11 allotted hours of driving you should find a different career. That is only 38 miles per hour :roll:

Quote:
Quote:
I keep seeing ads of $50,000 gross a year per person. Is this a realistic expectation with us working as a team or would we have to break laws and work very long hours? Or is $50,000 realistic after the first year?
And how is a solo driver different? You are paid to move freight, not sit around.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien