LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Trucker wives who go along

Hi,
I wasn't to sure where to put this one.
My I was wondering if there are any women on here who go along with there men on there trips and what it was like. Did you enjoy it. Stuff like that.
My husband is considering going into long haul but only if I go with him. We have no kids or major commitments here but its a big thing to do in my opinion.
Any info would be great.
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Senior Board Member

hello ganton ~ sorry I can't answer this question from the position your speaking of. As a driver myself, and at some point in time I was driving with the love of my life ( now deceased) ... it's very ease to get on each others nerves.....Suggestion ~ *a short time you and your husband should put a tiny TV,crock pot, small amount of food for a week, a pot to pee in and a twin size bed ..when laying down to sleep - ask your husband to bump the mattress of your bed until you fall asleep.* ... Because there will times he'll have to drive all night and your going to climb into the sleeper and be bounced around the whole time. And if it's day time and he has to set at the shippers for a few hours to get unloaded, he'll want to lay down and take a nap - because as a driver you learn to grab all the cat naps you can ... but you'll be setting in the front seat quitely reading or knitting or blogging on your cell phone. With no place to go to the bath room and walk around due to the 'shady' area the shipper is located. You will get bored ... and if he doesn't get enough cat naps, he will wake up cranky and sweaty and you'll be the closes thing to take the bad attitude out on - that over tired drivers seem to get from time to time. ............. Now on the flip side of all of this - if you can set your sleep patterns with his - - stay up all night while he drives and only sleep when he does ... learn to read a Map and be helpful on looking at those 'tiny' street signs when the fog is so thick, and the rain if pouring down, for which corner to turn that monster tractor down. Always have a smile on your face and continue to be the love of his life ... it can be a great job ! .... You could become very helpful to him when he has to back that trailer around some dark alley or between 2 tight semi's ... you could become his 'Spotter' ... and take some stress off of him to help him........... It's very important to learn quickly - - it's expensive to eat at the TS's everyday ... learn to stock food that 2 people can eat on for a week. The only way a driver can make money is to ~ keep that left door closed ~ and continue to roll down the hwy.

With all that I've just said ~ please know that I think Trucking is the BEST job around. But both of you need to have a gypsy spirit about yourself, there won't be daily baths - but wet wipes will get you by. ... You will hopefully see some awesome places in the lower 48's .. make wonderful memories to last a life time. But it's not an easy job. For your husband or you. If your love is strong, give it a try. If you don't like being on the truck for weeks at a time, will you be ok with him heading out without you ? .. Will he be comfortable leaving you at home by yourself ? ... I wish you the best. If you want to ask me any questions from the 'ladies' side of the job or life on the road, please feel free to Private Message me ... the boys on this site will probably come behind me and start making smart/boyish remarks. There are a few really Nice Men here that could probably give you some very good advise. A few of them have/do take their Wife with them from time to time...... Part of this life style ... you will learn to tune them out and move on down the road.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

If nothing else .... the two of you could do this job for about 6 months, long enough for him to get good experience and the miles under him and maybe look for a trucking job closer to where you live, so he might be able to be home on the weekends. If you have nothing to lose by trying ~ then give it your best shot. He will always wonder what it 'could of been like' and so will you.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'