User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 05:51 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The dreaded extremely early call in the morning ...

At 1:30 in the morning, my cell phone rings. What happened now goes through my mind as I know my husband is already asleep in his truck. Looking at the screen, yep, it's him. Answering hello. He says somebody hit me.

He proceeded to tell me that he was sleeping at the truck stop, and somebody backed into his tractor with their trailer. The hood is bent up, and who knows what else is wrong. I had to transfer over some money so he could buy a disposable camera, which the company said they would reimburse him for. The company would pay for a hotel if he wanted, but there are really no hotel's around, so he decided to stay in his truck.

The worst thing is that he was suppose to be home tomorrow after being away for three weeks. The kids and I were looking forward to seeing him again. Now who knows how long fixing his truck will take. Even if the company decides to give him another truck, it will still take awhile for them to switch him over.

I'm assuming he will miss the church meeting on Saturday. I just hope he can be home early enough so we can go to chruch for Easter as a family. At least I know it is definitly not a preventable.

I do feel sorry for the other guy though. I hope and pray this doesn't cost him his job. It really sucks being fired at Easter.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Senior Board Member

I only got hit one time, and that was on Sept 17, 2005 at around 3:30 am. I was 90 miles from home getting ready to make a fast run to grab a load, drop it off at the terminal in KC, jump in my car and high tail it home. My youngest son was born at 7pm that night and I did not make it home until 3 pm the next day thanks to all the extra time I had to take putting the hood back together enough to get the truck to KC and then doing all the extra paperwork, cleaning out the truck etc.

The only positive about the whole thing was the driver who hit me did not try to run, admitted guilt, signed the exoneration card as well as the admission of guilt form and helped to clean up the mess.

Hopefully your husband's company is on the ball and he is only slightly delayed getting home.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:24 AM

Thanks UTurn. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get to see your son the day he was born.

That reminds me when my youngest daughter was born. He was a bus driver back then. He had the opportunity to go with a group to pick up some greyhound busses from another state. The nurse warned him, and I warned him that I might deliver that weekend. He decided to go.

When he called, my mom told him that I did deliver. I guess he was heart broken, because he wasen't here to be with me. Then he tried his best to get home that day, but the bus he was driving broke down. Something dealing with the radiator. It ended up that one of the other drivers switched busses with him, and he got home the next day. He was happy when he got to see his new daughter though.

I did hear back from him. It sounds like the tractor will get towed in the morning, and that he will leave the trailer at the truck stop. He said it sounded like they might give him another truck. The only one they have available is an older one than he already has. :roll: I know they don't build trucks and cars like they use to. If they do decide to go that route, I do hope it is in better condition than the one he has, well before it got hit.

I just have to break the news gently tomorrow to the girls, and I'll have to wait until he tells me what is going on. I do hope he is able to get home soon also though.

PS. My husband did think that if he didn't pop his head out the door when he did, that the other driver would have tried to run. There wasen't any damage to his trailer. He got the information he needed, the pictures he needs, tried calling the cops, but got the security gaurd instead. The company told him to try to call the police to cover the company's but. He said the other driver told him that he's driven for ten years, and never hit a truck before.