Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   The will of the people ignored again! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/29333-will-people-ignored-again.html)

greg3564 08-30-2007 08:11 PM

The will of the people ignored again!

Once again, the will of the American people and lawmakers is ignored by Bush. This is why I feel many voters are so discouraged with politics.

This Mexican truck program is not to save consumers money, like they would like you to believe. It's here to make the big companies more money. The same companies that have been falsely claiming there's a driver shortage. Funny how they also have Mexican subsidiaries. Some of these same companies the are respected here, like CFI and Schneider.

As a lifelong conservative Republican who voted for Bush twice, I can't wait until he's out of office. He's done more damage to this country and it's people than I care to admit. Not to mention the 3800 American lives he has cost this country. All to settle a score for daddy.

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Teamsters Union said Wednesday it will ask a federal appeals court to block the Bush administration's plan to allow Mexican trucks to carry cargo anywhere in the United States.

The union said it has been told by officials in the Transportation Department's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration that the first Mexican trucks will be coming across the border Saturday.

Teamsters leaders said they planned to seek an emergency injunction Wednesday from the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.

"What a slap in the face to American workers, opening the highways to dangerous trucks on Labor Day weekend, one of the busiest driving weekends of the year," said Teamsters President Jim Hoffa.

Joining the Teamsters in seeking the emergency stay were the Sierra Club and Public Citizen. "Before providing unconditional access throughout the country to tens of thousands of big rigs we know little to nothing about, we must ensure they meet safety and environmental standards," Sierra Club executive director Carl Pope said.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, in a statement, said: "We believe this lawsuit is without merit and that our program will benefit consumers by reducing the costly practice of requiring all cross-border shipments to be hauled by three separate trucks operated by three different drivers and provide U.S. trucking companies the opportunity to expand their business into our nation's third largest trading partner."

The Bush administration said last week it would start the cross-border program once the Transportation Department's inspector general certifies safety and inspection plans.

Leslie Miller, a Teamsters spokeswoman, said attorneys for the federal truck safety agency advised the union's lawyers that they expect to get that certification Friday. She said the Teamsters also were told by the agency attorneys that limited authority for trucks to begin crossing the border will be approved Saturday.

The Teamsters got a powerful labor ally in its protest.

AFL-CIO president John Sweeney said in a news conference "the real issue there is the situation of safety and how this involves the delivery of food or product of Mexico to United States and vice versa.

"It's an ongoing dispute, and we don't think the Mexican government is enforcing their laws in that situation," said Sweeney in support of the Teamsters, who left the AFL-CIO to join a rival labor federation in 2005. "I think the Teamsters are taking the lead in this situation and rightly so deserve support."

Supporters of the plan say letting more Mexican trucks on U.S. highways will save American consumers hundreds of millions of dollars.

Labor and driver-owner groups have been fighting the measure -- part of the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement -- since it was first proposed, saying the program will erode highway safety and eliminate U.S. jobs.

A one-year demonstration project would allow 100 Mexican motor carriers full access to U.S. roads. It can begin as soon as the inspector general certifies that safety and inspection plans and facilities are sufficient to ensure the Mexican trucks are as safe as U.S. trucks.

Since 1982, Mexican trucks have had to stop within a buffer border zone and transfer their loads to U.S. trucks.

Sealord 08-30-2007 08:42 PM

The Will of the People, Yada, Yada

It's not about Bush, think NAFTA and former President Clinton. He's the one who signed off on NAFTA. Maybe the Mexican grown fruit and vegetables will be cheaper now. Some Cali growers have already moved south. BOL

Fozzy 08-30-2007 08:42 PM

Jimmy Hoffa? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greg3564 08-30-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozzy

I glad you find it funny that jobs are getting sent across the border. Or do you find it funny that Bush ignored public sentiment AND bi-partisan opposition to this?

Colts Fan 08-30-2007 08:53 PM

You think we have an immigration problem now? When this happens we will surely see a immediate increase of "human" cargo on those Mexican trucks.

Sheepdancer 08-30-2007 09:04 PM

Really, I dont see too many americans against this. The only thing I see is quite a bit of the conspiracy theory crowd making a lot of noise. Even on this board full of truck drivers, maybe 50% are against this.
Reading the facts about this plan instead of the conspiracy websites, it doesnt look like a bad idea. You hear people say things like "this is only going to make the corporations money". Well corporations are owned by the american people...the stock holders. Most people in this country invest. So if the corporations are making more money, most people are making more money.
I dont really see the difference between this and when we started allowing Canadian drivers do the same thing.
I agree, if you are a driver and almost all your freight that you pick up is at the border, this might hurt you. Otherwise, you arent going to even notice. Just like when Canadians started doing the same thing.

greg3564 08-30-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Maybe you this this info from the Office of Inspector General is funny.

Quote:

“However, a significant issues with specimen collection remains,” the audit states. “It is not clear as to whether the controls in place ensure that valid specimens are being collected before being sent to a certified laboratory. We found no evidence that collection site concerns have been resolved.”
Quote:

When the OIG looked at bus operations, inspectors found facilities – specifically mentioning the bus inspection facility in Laredo, TX – as being short on both physical facilities and inspectors.
Quote:

“Our observations at the Laredo crossing … confirmed the challenge FMCSA faces in screening project participants,” the audit states.

“Specifically, we observed hundreds of vehicles entering the United States at the Laredo crossing each day. FMCSA inspectors selected vehicles for inspection from the line of trucks waiting to cross the border. However, once an inspector selected a vehicle and diverted it for an inspection, no FMCSA personnel remained at the screening point to monitor carrier traffic.”
Quote:

FMCSA reported to the OIG that Mexico’s Licencia Federal Information System now contains 269,000 valid licenses, 140,000 expired licenses and 9,000 disqualified or restricted licenses. Through April 2006, U.S. federal and state law enforcement officials have accessed LIFIS 19,000 times.

The agency reported that 82 percent of the inquiries returned a valid CDL. Expired and restricted licenses came back in 2 percent of the inquiries.

However, 16 percent of the searches came back “driver not found.”

“We could not determine whether the large percentage of queries to LIFIS that resulted in a response of ‘driver not found’ were due to data entry problems by U.S. users of the system, attempts by Mexican drivers to operate with invalid licenses, incompleteness of the Mexican database, or other unknown reasons,” the OIG audit states.
Yep that's funny. I can't wait for the thousands of Mexican drivers that the U.S. knows NOTHING about to roam freely through the country. Some Jose can drive an 80,000 pound truck anywhere he wants, but I still have to take my shoes off in the airport. The hypocrisy of it all.

greg3564 08-30-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Really, I dont see too many americans against this. The only thing I see is quite a bit of the conspiracy theory crowd making a lot of noise. Even on this board full of truck drivers, maybe 50% are against this.
Reading the facts about this plan instead of the conspiracy websites, it doesnt look like a bad idea. You hear people say things like "this is only going to make the corporations money". Well corporations are owned by the american people...the stock holders. Most people in this country invest. So if the corporations are making more money, most people are making more money.
I dont really see the difference between this and when we started allowing Canadian drivers do the same thing.
I agree, if you are a driver and almost all your freight that you pick up is at the border, this might hurt you. Otherwise, you arent going to even notice. Just like when Canadians started doing the same thing.

The Canadians also have strict requirements for CDL holders and drug testing. Their government is rampant with corruption either. I have no problem with Canadian drivers as they have as good of a training program as we do here in the US. But everyone knows that the Mexican government is corrupt with drug cartels running the politicians. Anybody can be paid off there, including the police.

Mr. Ford95 08-30-2007 09:30 PM

How is Mexico part of NAFTA?? They are in Central America not North America, I don't see no "C" in that NAFTA. North America only compromises of us and Canada and always has.

Sheepdancer 08-30-2007 09:37 PM

I would agree with you about the quality of the mexican trucks and drivers except for one thing. Mexican trucks have already been coming over here for quite a long time and staying within that 20 mile zone. They havent caused any problems at all. The same arguments you see now were all said before that was allowed. None of those things happened.
From what i have read on "official sites" about this plan. Not only will the mexican drivers and their trucks be held to the same standards and laws as our own trucks. 100% of them will be inspected. Just looking at our own trucking companies on SAFESTAT. its scary how many of our own trucks fail inspections and cause accidents on our roadways. Not too mention the recent study I saw that showed 14% of american drivers would fail hair drug tests. The fact that 100% of the mexican trucks are going to be hard core inspected and their drivers looked at, it just might turn out that those mexican trucks might be safer than our own.

greg3564 08-30-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

I would agree with you about the quality of the mexican trucks and drivers except for one thing. Mexican trucks have already been coming over here for quite a long time and staying within that 20 mile zone. They havent caused any problems at all. The same arguments you see now were all said before that was allowed. None of those things happened.
From what i have read on "official sites" about this plan. Not only will the mexican drivers and their trucks be held to the same standards and laws as our own trucks. 100% of them will be inspected. Just looking at our own trucking companies on SAFESTAT. its scary how many of our own trucks fail inspections and cause accidents on our roadways. Not too mention the recent study I saw that showed 14% of american drivers would fail hair drug tests. The fact that 100% of the mexican trucks are going to be hard core inspected and their drivers looked at, it just might turn out that those mexican trucks might be safer than our own.

Do you know how many inspectors would be required to inspect 100 percent? Hundreds at each border crossing. That's not going to happen. Again here's a quote from the OIG about that.

Quote:

“Specifically, we observed hundreds of vehicles entering the United States at the Laredo crossing each day. FMCSA inspectors selected vehicles for inspection from the line of trucks waiting to cross the border. However, once an inspector selected a vehicle and diverted it for an inspection, no FMCSA personnel remained at the screening point to monitor carrier traffic.”

greg3564 08-30-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
How is Mexico part of NAFTA?? They are in Central America not North America, I don't see no "C" in that NAFTA. North America only compromises of us and Canada and always has.

Know your facts.

Quote:

The North American Free Trade Agreement is the trade bloc in North America created by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and its two supplements, the North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation (NAAEC) and The North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation (NAALC), whose members are Canada, Mexico, and the United States. It came into effect on 1 January 1994.

gordoUSA 08-30-2007 10:19 PM

I doubt the Mexicans are going to be looked at closely, at least not for long. Maybe a little "dog and pony show" for the media and concerned citizens.
The big winners will be the companies employing the Mexicans and the big box stores with considerbly less cost in shipping. But don't think they are going to lower their prices to you. They will not. You will probably be paying more, same as always. Corporate profits and CEO pay are paramount.
Border security is so lax now, wait till the interest dies down. Then who knows what all will be shipped in. Drugs for certain, human cargo, weapons, who knows because no one is going to check.
Question is, are the Mexican companies going to be required to carry American liability insurance? When one of the Mexican trucks slaughters a family of 4 on the highway, who is going to pay? Will the driver and/or company be held to the same accountability standards as some unfortunate American drivers and companies have, or simply be allowed to flee back to Mexico?
Time will tell on the issue, but it doesn't bode well for the average American trying to make their living or get a start in a difficult industry.

PackRatTDI 08-30-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95

Central and North American are divided at the Mexican border with Guatemala and Belize. Perhaps you should have paid more attention in your World Geography class. ;)

And since when is Jimmy "my daddy was a crook" Hoffa's and the Teamsters Union's opinion the "will of the people">

Mr. Ford95 08-30-2007 11:01 PM

Well then sorry guys, my Geography teacher was wrong then. Was always taught that Mexico was part of Central America. :oops: 8) Guess that's what you get when your school system pays the lowest of the state and pretty much the nation, the bottom of the barrel teachers who never went to college. Then again some of my college professors were airheads......

grizz 08-30-2007 11:43 PM

the big companies do not wave the american flag they wave the almighty dollar

Cluggy619 08-31-2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizz
the big companies do not wave the american flag they wave the almighty dollar

"In God We Trust, all others pay cash" We are one nation under the dollar.....boo hoo hoo.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...4_bab_0210.gif

Stop your whining about the Mexicans coming. You all knew they were coming. If you don't like it, go find another career, before they take that one too.

Welcome, my Mexican brothers. And Sheepdancer, you should be happy....I understand you know alittle spanish.....recruiting should be easy. Think "BIG BONUS>>>STOCK OPTIONS".

Part Time Dweller 08-31-2007 12:44 AM

Re: The Will of the People, Yada, Yada

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealord
It's not about Bush, think NAFTA and former President Clinton. He's the one who signed off on NAFTA. Maybe the Mexican grown fruit and vegetables will be cheaper now. Some Cali growers have already moved south. BOL

Actually. it wasn't Bill....................:lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ks19/Nafta.jpg

Fredog 08-31-2007 12:48 AM

[quote="Part Time Dweller"]
Quote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ks19/Nafta.jpg[/quo

Please dont confuse us with the facts

Part Time Dweller 08-31-2007 12:50 AM

Sorry. :oops: I forgot. :lol:

Fozzy 08-31-2007 12:55 AM

Talk about knowing your facts....

The teamsters were against drug testing..

And what percentage of American trucks are inspected? Of course you would support a program to inspect 100 percent of all trucks going into the different states?

Cluggy619 08-31-2007 12:58 AM

Quote:

And what percentage of American trucks are inspected? Of course you would support a program to inspect 100 percent of all trucks going into the different states?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...4_bab_0210.gif

Part Time Dweller 08-31-2007 01:04 AM

Quote:

So was just about everyone else, what is your point :?

Fozzy 08-31-2007 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Part Time Dweller
Quote:

So was just about everyone else, what is your point :?

Uhh,, could it have been one of the main points some doofus was ragging about?

PackRatTDI 08-31-2007 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Part Time Dweller
Quote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ks19/Nafta.jpg

Doesn't matter if Bush signed it, Bill Clinton actively supported the ratification, something that wouldn't have taken place if he hadn't campaigned for it AS PRESIDENT. That's a FACT.

People conveniently forget that little part of history.

Colts Fan 08-31-2007 03:51 AM

People also forget that politicians only care about the special interest groups thatfund their campaigns. It doesn't matter if it's Bill Clinton or George Bush! Big business is going to give them what they want, $$$$$$$$$$!! This is coming from a political science major. The university I went to had a VERY liberal bias. But, when it came down to it, Machiavelli made it clear that an honest politician would lose everytime!!

kc0iv 08-31-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackRatTDI

Doesn't matter if Bush signed it, Bill Clinton actively supported the ratification, something that wouldn't have taken place if he hadn't campaigned for it AS PRESIDENT. That's a FACT.

People conveniently forget that little part of history.

OK let's talk FACTS.

(1) Bush SR. fast tracked it on August 12, 1992. Signed it on December 17, 1992.
(2) Clinton promised to review the agreement, which he considered inadequate.
(3) Clinton did not alter the original agreement, but complemented it with The North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation and The North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation.
(4) Passed the house by 234-200 (132 Republicans and 102 Democrats voting in favor).
(5) Passed the U.S. Senate passed it by 61-38.
(6) Clinton signed the legislation into law (P.L. 103-182) on December 8, and the agreement took effect January 1, 1994.

See: www.nam.org/s_nam/doc1.asp?CID=201740&DID=223558

Quote:

In the United States, Americans were divided on whether NAFTA benefited the U.S. economy (42% good, 43% bad), but they tended to feel that NAFTA was good for consumers like them (55% good, 30% bad), good (51% vs. 33% bad) for their own standard of living, and good (50% vs. 36% bad) for American companies. However, the American public felt that NAFTA was bad for creating jobs in the United States (56%) and for job security for American workers (60%). Thus both Mexicans and Americans seem to subscribe to the overall benefits of free trade as represented by NAFTA, but at the same time feel concern about members of their society put at risk by freer trade—in the case of Mexico, people in the countryside, and in the United States, workers.

Polling evidence shows general public support for NAFTA in Mexico, Canada and the United States, and at the Summit of the Americas in November 2005 Presidents Fox and Bush and Premier Martin all favored the more expansive FTAA. Opponents of trade agreements, however, may frame the issue in terms of winners and losers, and public opinion seems to resonate with the view that a trading partner will have the better deal. Public opinion is also attuned to the problem, often noted by trade economists, that while there may be general benefits of freer trade, specific groups in a society can often be hurt.

See: www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/brlatinamericara/161.php?nid=&id=&pnt=161&lb=btgl

Here is some real facts.

kc0iv

Sheepdancer 08-31-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

And Sheepdancer, you should be happy....I understand you know alittle spanish.....recruiting should be easy. Think "BIG BONUS>>>STOCK OPTIONS".
Naa, we wont be using mexican drivers. We already move freight through mexico and accross the border. We just use the rails.
And yes, im always for things that will make the market go up.

jrhbull 08-31-2007 02:19 PM

This illegal immigrant crap is going to RUIN america just watch.Jobs are getting harder and harder to get each day because the employerswill hire immigrants for much cheaper $$$$$ then americans in general.This is the same situation that happened with the african americans back in the day.Watch it will happen.We the white people are the minority anymore and get the bottom of the barrell.How many trucks leaving Mexico will be hauling illegals back with them??? ALOT will the DOT check every truck?? NOPE!!!!!! Take action

Sheepdancer 08-31-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhbull
This illegal immigrant crap is going to RUIN america just watch.Jobs are getting harder and harder to get each day because the employerswill hire immigrants for much cheaper $$$$$ then americans in general.This is the same situation that happened with the african americans back in the day.Watch it will happen.We the white people are the minority anymore and get the bottom of the barrell.How many trucks leaving Mexico will be hauling illegals back with them??? ALOT will the DOT check every truck?? NOPE!!!!!! Take action

What does this thread and truck driving have to do with illegal aliens? Those mexican drivers arent illegal, nor are they immigrants. Illegal aliens have absolutely nothing to do with the trucking industry, nor are they taking truck drivers jobs.
Dont get me wrong, I dont think we are doing near enough about the illegal alien problem. However, if you lose your job to an unskilled illegal alien for less pay. Face it, you werent that skilled in the first place. Almost all the jobs that illegal aliens are taking are jobs that our own poor wouldnt want to do. Go into any low income neighborhood and you will see a bunch of people sitting around doing nothing. You cant tell me that those people couldnt get busy and start picking grapes. Givin the choice, any employer would rather hire a low paid unskilled american, over an low paid unskilled illegal. Our own people need to get off their lazy butts and start doing the work and the illegals wouldnt have any work to do here.

Fozzy 08-31-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Why does this topic always bring out those who tromp around in the middle of the night wearing bedsheets and pillowcases on their heads. Half of these jackasses can't find the USA on a world map.

PackRatTDI 08-31-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Why does this topic always bring out those who tromp around in the middle of the night wearing bedsheets and pillowcases on their heads. Half of these jackasses can't find the USA on a world map.

They're the U.S. Americans that Miss South Carolina was referring to. You know the ones who don't have it like South Africa and the Iraq?

CaptCaveman 08-31-2007 08:42 PM

Well its been interesting reading all this BUT we don't really know whats going to happen till it happens though I'm willing to bet whatever happens will be completely different than what both sides are arguing. First off the program has not been funded by congress and how the FMCSA is going about it is p###ing several congress critters off, I see budgets being cut. Now we all know that all those trucks crossing over will not be inspected but there are LEO's all over the country who will stop, inspect and OOS any truck even slightly out spec if it has a foreign license plate. Next these new drivers will be going to wonderful new places like Chicago and Atlanta(Atlanta PD will love this) and meetiing with our great American demolition derby called rush hour. That of course brings me to my last point, wrecks, and there will be some dandies which our loving ratings hungry news media will put at the top of the news time and sensationalize big time, you think they abuse truckers in accident reporting, wait till you see what they do to Mexican truckers. That brings us full circle back to the FMCSA and the congress, with the feces striking the rotary air impellers at a high rate of speed the inhabitants of all those legislative seats will be struck by the aforesaid feces will naturally react like they usually do and over-react. Then congressional hearings will ensue for the DOT and FMCSA to explain how this all happened, gallows will be set up on the national mall and a fun time will be had by all.

PackRatTDI 08-31-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptCaveman
Next these new drivers will be going to wonderful new places like Chicago and Atlanta(Atlanta PD will love this) and meetiing with our great American demolition derby called rush hour. .

The traffic jams in and around the Mexico City area make Chicago and Atlanta look like a cakewalk. :wink:

CaptCaveman 08-31-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Next these new drivers will be going to wonderful new places like Chicago and Atlanta(Atlanta PD will love this) and meetiing with our great American demolition derby called rush hour. .

The traffic jams in and around the Mexico City area make Chicago and Atlanta look like a cakewalk. :wink:

Ah, but in Mexico city You don't have a woman driving an urban assault vehicle talking on the cell phone, reading the newspaper and applying her make all at once. And oh yeah, honking and flipping the finger at people she (very) occasionally notices are occupying the same road as her.

PackRatTDI 08-31-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ah, but in Mexico city You don't have a woman driving an urban assault vehicle talking on the cell phone, reading the newspaper and applying her make all at once. And oh yeah, honking and flipping the finger at people she (very) occasionally notices are occupying the same road as her.

You'd be suprised how many Mexicans drive just like that.

continental 09-01-2007 11:32 AM

Quote:

Maybe 50% against it? Check the results! 78% against it, and 22% for it, including you, and you're NOT a driver. That's how accurate your information is.
Distorting the facts, as always, eh? :wink:

PackRatTDI 09-01-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by continental
Quote:

Maybe 50% against it? Check the results! 78% against it, and 22% for it, including you, and you're NOT a driver. That's how accurate your information is.

And where are you getting YOUR results?

greg3564 09-01-2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by continental
Quote:

And where are you getting YOUR results?

This poll is from April on Consumer Reports website.

A new poll released by the groups today and conducted by the nonpartisan Lake Research Partners found that a majority of Americans (56 percent) believe the Bush administration's plan to allow Mexico-domiciled trucks to travel outside the current commercial zone and throughout the United States is dangerous.

Majority agreement that this is dangerous for U.S. drivers transcends gender, age, political identification and region. Notably, self-identified independents (60 percent) are most likely to agree that the Bush proposal is dangerous, though majorities of Democrats (54 percent) and Republicans (58 percent) concur.

Fozzy 09-01-2007 08:22 PM

It just means they like a lot of characters around here are uninformed reactionary, ignorant or just plain bigoted. Now ask them to describe what is dangerous..(things that they have not been spoon fed of course) that ought to be funny!!!!