Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Detention Poll

1. How often are you detained at docks?

a) Never
b) <25% of the time
c) 25-50% of the time
d) 51-75% of the time
e) 76-100% of the time

2. What is the longest you’ve ever been detained at a dock?

a) <2 hours
b) 2-4 hours
c) 4-6 hours
d) >6 hours

3. How often are you compensated (actually paid) for detention costs by the shipper?

a) Never
b) Rarely
c) Most of the time
d) All of the time

4. Do you have a hard time getting paid for detention?

a) Yes
b) No

5. A recent poll determined a fair detention rate to be $64 an hour based on either total revenue per mile or profit/net income per mile + fixed cost per mile? Do you find this number to be:

a) Too low
b) About right
c) Too high

6. Do you believe that ELDs will greatly help carriers get paid for detention?

a) Yes greatly
b) Slightly help
c) No
Old 03-29-2016, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

If you want to do a poll, you can set it up where the numbers will be compiled for you. It is under thread tools.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Senior Board Member

I am curious as to the purpose of this thread.
When I drove otr I was detained about half the time, Once I sat saturday when deliver was scheduled until monday morning to deliver. Another time i waited 2 days for a pickup. Detention pay was paid about half the time or less because the wait was either less than 2 hours or appointments had been scheduled at unreasonable times seemingly on purpose so the claim could be made that detention time pay does not apply because i was late/early for the appointment. Getting detention time paid is often a matter of pestering the office because it was conveniently forgotten.
I do not believe ELD will help anyone get paid detention time because the major problem is not proving when the driver arrived, but that pickups and deliveries are not scheduled at reasonable/achievable times. I.E: giving a driver 2 days to run 700 miles or scheduling a pickup 100 miles away in 1 hour. Shippers and carriers seem complicit in this. In recent years I noticed more and more shippers/recievers using appointments to avoid paying detention time rather than a window. For example 1300-1700.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is understandable that shippers would move toward appointments in an effort to avoid detention pay. It is easier for them to control detention. According to articles that I read, the reason some of the mega carriers pushed for elogs is due to detention. It should have been easier to prove when the driver arrived and left with elogs. I am not sure it has worked as they envisioned. Most shippers still resist paying detention, regardless of the reason. One reason I prefer open deck freight to van or reefers is that shippers are not as apt to waste so much of your time. There are exceptions, but I find that I don't do nearly as much waiting as I did when I pulled vans.