User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The missing truck driver alert network

I'd like your input on something that occurred over this past weekend. It did not involve the company nor anyone in it. What took place was that a driver from another company came up missing after picking up a load in N.C. that was destined for Palestine, Tx. the driver should have arrived days later, but did not. His family contacted a friend on facebook that started a massive search by other dri...vers, with contacts being made with police depts and truckstops. The driver was found late Saturday in Alabama, but unfortunately, he was deceased. Police are currently still investigating this.

The reason I'm putting this to you is that the truck the driver was in had no tracking system installed and the only thing we had to go on was the fact that he had... contacted his wife and brother about the route he had intended to take for the run, which turned out to be the only huge help we had in getting the search narrowed down.
While you do have satellite units installed in the company trucks, I am aware that not all or many of the O/O trucks do not. At present, a new alert page has been set up on Facebook (which, yes, I know you don't allow the use of, on company systems, understandably) but, if you were to set up only certain lines within your system, if an alert goes out, you might be able to alert drivers about any search and were to look for any driver going along the same area.
We had worked with other trucking forums over the weekend to get the word out and are currently in talks with them to find some way to make an effort at establishing a joint link and are working to contact other trucking companies to be a part of this effort.
My personal effort is to see that we find any missing driver and/or truck and return them home, hopefully, alive. The page has been dedicated to the driver we lost over the weekend.

Your response would be appreciated.

FACEBOOK GROUP IN NAME OF THE ABOVE HAS BEEN ADDED....THIS IS THE URL https://www.facebook.com/groups/166932646753036/