User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I need help!

Okay, everyone get in line to take a swing at that softball... (or if you need help, I can put it on a tee for ya.)

No really... I've got a problem. [sheit, there I go again...]

I swear I didn't touch any keys that I wasn't supposed to last night. Didn't even drop my keyboard. But, now I've got this popup that keeps appearing in the middle of my screen. It looks line an alien fire control menu. Upper half shows a contrast scale and keeps changing colors (red to blue, interestingly enough,) and a big number that changes if I push buttons on the front of my DELL monitor. Bottom half says USER MODE (sorry about the caps) and something in the bottom left corner (figures... it's not showing up right now so I can see what is is) no wait... there it is. It says H:48.3Khz. And in the bottom right it says V:59.9Hz. (obviously that is the vertical sweep speed of the monitor.)

All around the edges, there are hiroglyphical icons (that I suspect would destroy the Earth) and the word EXIT. But, when I move the cursor inside the perimeter with the intent of saving the World by stabbing that exit button.... it disappears and I have no way to click on anything. Note: it is obviously a monitor thing, cuz I can scroll through CAD, and type this (all behind it) while it comes and goes.

I've been visited by this alien communique once before, and I could swear I was allowed to click exit.

Anyway... restoring system doesn't help, restarting computer doesn't. Heck, it even shows up while windows is shutting down and restarting. Like I said, it seems to be a function of the monitor. I'm using I.E. 8... but, I don't think that pertains.

WTF is this thing... and how do I kill it?

First one with the correct answer and remedy gets 1 month free from my shouting, namecalling and excessive puntuation. :lol2:

Please... don't y'all just sit back and chuckle while I'm being tormented. Someone hep' me!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

Last edited by golfhobo; 08-04-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Did you just now realize you need help? ( you asked!) Don't you have 3 buttons on the moniter next to the power button? I made the mistake of playing with them once and had some thing like you describe.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Board Icon

Hobo, do you happen to have another monitor laying around not being used? It does sound like the monitor is messing up but it could be one serious virus and the only way your going to know is to plug another monitor into it or try the easy route of messing with buttons like repete said.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

I hexed you and your computer. HA.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Come on Hobo...what was the out come of this???
Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 AM

monitor control buttons stuck, banged, or otherwise malfunctioning?

Presence during start up and shut down rules out your typical virus type things.

Very distressing, I'm sure!

Ontario, Canada
Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 AM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Seek professional help please I suggest a psychologist as you may need medications to help your distorted views of reality! You asked.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 AM
Board Icon

LBF said:

Quote:
monitor control buttons stuck, banged, or otherwise malfunctioning?
You may be right. I have been known to have research books open in front of my monitor and when I needed a beer, I'd set my keyboard down on top of them. That is about the level of the FOUR buttons on my monitor. I don't remember ever slamming it into them, though, and they don't seem stuck. (Well, at least two of them seem to work.) Malfunctioning is a more likely theory. I have alot of dust in my apartment.

Quote:
Presence during start up and shut down rules out your typical virus type things.

Very distressing, I'm sure!
Yeah, I figured that way too once I realized I could access and post on CAD... or any other website... BEHIND the popup. Very distressing! Thanks for the sympathy.

repete said:

Quote:
Don't you have 3 buttons on the moniter next to the power button? I made the mistake of playing with them once and had some thing like you describe.
I have 4, but two of them are like up and down arrow counterparts. I can actually sometimes get these to work to move the "cursor" or highlighter to the various icons around the perimeter, in one or the other direction. Problem is... once I get the EXIT icon highlighted, I don't know which of the other two buttons to push. Neither seems to actually accomplish the task, though sometimes the "thing" disappears. But, I don't know if that is because I pushed the right button, or because its time is up. It comes and goes and not always for the same amount of time.

I remember now, that I must have used these buttons last time to highlight EXIT and I got it to go away. It's been years. But, nothing seems to work this time. Thanks for your confirming input. [I mean about the buttons.]

Mr.Ford:

Yes, I DO have another monitor. Thanks for reminding me. But, my system is black and that monitor is nicotine colored beige or whatever that standard computer color is. Yuch! If I don't figure this out, or can't call DELL by this weekend, I'll fish it out of my storage room and hook it up. Funny thing... that computer was built for me by my computer guru back when I had my business. Not sure why my Dad bought me this one, but I had to switch (I guess.) I'm starting to wonder if that system might not have MORE random memory than this one... which has been my main complaint for years now.

Looks like I may have a busy weekend ahead. [I actually thought about the memory thing a week or so ago, and have been wondering if I could pull the cards out of that one and stick 'em in this one. Does DD or SD make a difference for installing memory?]

Thanks for all the help guys! Any more ideas... keep em coming. I DO want to fix this monitor and keep this system if I can ever get around to installing more memory. But, I gotta tell ya.... I'm about ready to pull out the plastic and make a midnight run to WallyWorld for a 21st century laptop!

Oh yeah..... for Stan:

SNAFU.... but maybe not FUBAR!!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey hobo, good luck with fixing that mess, and keep us posted. By the way, that 'prize' doesn't mean much to those of us you haven't used shouting, name-calling, and excessive punctuation on.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Hobo (or anybody else about to spring for a new laptop), Wallyworld doesn't sell Toshibas and therefore you should shop elsewhere!!!!!!! lol (excessive punctuation on purpose - sue me OK?)

6 months ago I was in Officemax torn between a few laptops and I was talking to the tech and I told him I needed something pretty tough for use in a truck. He steered me towards the Toshiba saying they're built like tanks. They sure don't look very slick so they'd better be good at something.

I'm too embarrassed to say how it is I subjected my Toshiba to a 220lb stress test. :lol: It passed. There is no way in hell that the screen, let alone the rest of it could possibly pass that test but it did. It's one of the freakiest examples of something not breaking that I've ever seen.

On the downside, the laptop comes with Win7 and only tolerates XP but that's probably true of all the latest laptops.