User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Wish me luck

Well, am at home, have the camper 90% loaded (just have to toss the coolers in it tomorrow after I top them up with ice). Pickup is loaded with firewood and food. It took me 2 days of getting things in order, and sweating my ass off in 90deg + 65% humidity just to be ready to go.

Now, just have the camping part to do: myself, my wife and 4 grandchildren, ages 3 to 10 (2 boys, 2 girls). All of this in a 14' pop-up. 4 nights...

OMG - What have I done?!?!?!? Why didn't anyone hit me with a hammer to get my head straight?????

Should be fun though. The campground we're going to has 2 lakes, 1 of which is a true swimming lake. I can walk the entire thing without it going higher than my chest, plus the entire thing is ringed with a sand beach. There's a water park as well, but that'll run me $70+ for the 6 of us, so that's a one day deal. There's also a playground, mini-golf, etc in it.

Too bad I'll need a week to recover from it though. I should've taken 2 weeks + 2 days instead of just 1 week + 2 days vacation time.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Well, am at home, have the camper 90% loaded (just have to toss the coolers in it tomorrow after I top them up with ice). Pickup is loaded with firewood and food. It took me 2 days of getting things in order, and sweating my ass off in 90deg + 65% humidity just to be ready to go.

Now, just have the camping part to do: myself, my wife and 4 grandchildren, ages 3 to 10 (2 boys, 2 girls). All of this in a 14' pop-up. 4 nights...

OMG - What have I done?!?!?!? Why didn't anyone hit me with a hammer to get my head straight?????

Should be fun though. The campground we're going to has 2 lakes, 1 of which is a true swimming lake. I can walk the entire thing without it going higher than my chest, plus the entire thing is ringed with a sand beach. There's a water park as well, but that'll run me $70+ for the 6 of us, so that's a one day deal. There's also a playground, mini-golf, etc in it.

Too bad I'll need a week to recover from it though. I should've taken 2 weeks + 2 days instead of just 1 week + 2 days vacation time.

good for you.....how long is the drive because the last thing I ever what to do when I got off is more driving.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

It's only 60 miles total, with 50 of that on the interstate. So, we won't be dealing with the "Are we there yet", "How much further", etc etc etc for long
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Hope you have fun, but you'll prolly be back before you read this, oh well.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Can I come? I can act like I'm ages 3-10.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
I should've taken 2 weeks + 2 days instead of just 1 week + 2 days vacation time.

No what you shouldve done is take 2 CAMPERS, one for you and one for the kiddies! Good luck with that!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member

HOME AT LAST!!!

Had a great time, with the exception of setting up the camper and bringing it home:

When we arrived and was setting up the camper, 2 of the 4 cables that lift the top on it snapped. It took me climbing inside and lifting it with my back to get it propped open. Leaving, the other 2 cables snapped, which let it bind up. Luckily there was a big guy in the next lot that helped me get it closed. After we pulled out of the campground, about 10 miles down the road, I blew a tire on the camper. I stopped to put the spare on, but it was severely rusted and wouldn't hold air. I unhooked and went after some fix-a-flat. Put that in and made it about 1/2 miles and that tire came completely off the rim. After about 2 hours of driving around, I found a new one (the wrong size, but it got me home) at Wal-Mart.

While we were there, we were visited nightly by 2-4 skunks. One day we had a black bear (about 150lbs) come through the campground. Even the kids had a ball, mainly the 3yr old. She was flat-out in heaven with it.

I wouldn't do it again anytime soon, but it was SOOO worth it.