User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs down Jackass State Trooper Stories... we've all got at least one!

Trooper James Johnson, Montana State Highway Patrol.

This was back in 2008. I had been on the road for over 9 hours, headed west towards Seattle. I was tired and the sun was setting (and in my face) I was on auto-pilot, as they say and blew the weigh station on the SD/MT state line. I had made it all the way to Glendive when a trooper pulled me over and told me that I passed the weigh station. He instructed me to go back the weigh station to scale out (a 60 mile round trip). I turned around and went back. The trooper manning the weigh station, one James Johnson, had a chip on his shoulder from the get-go! He was rude, unprofessional and disrespectful. I told him why I passed the weigh station and he basically called me a liar to my face. He then demanded $250 on the spot or he was going to throw me in jail and I would have to remail in jail until I saw the judge in Webaux. I guess due process doesn't exist in Montana!!! I had to get my company to issue a comcheck. The whole bull**** ordeal took about 3 hours. When I got back home I contacted the Montana State Attorney General and lodged a complaint. They basically told me they were't going to do anything about it, and advised me to call the county in which the fine was issued and complain to the judge. That would be like complaining to Boss Hogg that his sheriff, Roscoe Coltrain was a crook... I considered the matter dead at that moment.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Board Regular

No offense Southron,
As a professional driver it is up to you to know where all weigh stations are located. you yourself said you just crossed the state line, which is a given that there will be a weigh station with in the first 5 to 10 miles. These officers hear the same excuses every day and some days their panties may be wadded up in their cheeks causing them to become ruthless to those who give excuses..
My best experience with an officer was when I told him the cold hearted truth as to why I was going 75 in a 35 in my 67 Mustang. HE was impressed enough to welcome me to the state and let me go with a warning.
Imagine what it is like to be stuck in a chicken coop on the border of SD and Eastern Montana, that in and of itself is enough to make a dick out of the biggest redneck...

Timberwolf
Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Board Icon

Your entitled to your opinion, Timberwolf.... but, I'm gonna have to side against you this time.

Don't know if you've ever made that trip thru SD and into Montana, but it is a weird ride. ONE of those states, (I think it is SD) has like THREE stations just to get thru the state! ONE is on the "left side" of the interstate, and you have to get off an exit to get to it. I haven't made the trip often, but I remember it being somewhat ridiculous!

I don't remember exactly WHERE the first weigh station in Montana on that interstate IS.... but, I think I remember it as OFTEN being closed, and that it IS kinda hard to see if the sun is in your face (as it usually was for me.) But, the fact remains that MANY states out west do NOT have stations within the first few miles of the state. Interstates often merge (or split) near the borders of western states, so they consolidate their stations AFTER the confluence.

Hehe.... I COULD have deleted all that, but I decided to leave it for the "message." Southron made a mistake in his post, and I just found out when I checked my Trucker's Atlas. He was coming in from NORTH Dakota, not South.

I've never BEEN on that particular route, but everything I said about the LOWER one stands. Also, looking at the Atlas, it seems he just WENT thru (or bypassed) a scalehouse at the border just BEFORE he left N.Dakota!! It would be easy enough to think... (glad THAT'S done! Now... where am I gonna stop for the night?)

I LOVE running out West.... but, sometimes the scalehouses ARE easy to miss!

Don't know if I have a story to add to his thread. But, I just felt like he deserved some support for his "case" as he related it.

I would have had to call in the Federal Marshall on their azzes! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM

In my defense, I was a new driver... had only been driving for 3 months. Suffice to say, I haven't done that since.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Board Regular

[QUOTE=golfhobo;492431]Your entitled to your opinion, Timberwolf.... but, I'm gonna have to side against you this time.

Hobo so it's not a driver's responsibility to know where coops are located? What's the old saying ignorance of the law is no excuse... As a professional driver you should have some sort of idea, yes **** happens but to the officer's that is no excuse, except an excuse for them to be *******s if they are having a bad day and looking to vent.
that is why I have always been local and never ever ever ever considered OTR, I like my warm bed every night, however a big thank you to those of you who make OTR your life...

Timberwolf
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Board Icon

Guess I've been lucky thus far, haven't run into any that you would call a Jackass on the few times I've been stopped. The first was very nice to deal with, he explained everything that was going to take place during the stop then gave me my $70 fine and sent me on my way. The second must have been new as DOT, he had no clue I had a load on me even though my tarp was back and the BOL was looking him in the face when he stepped up on the truck. He was even easier to work with, sent me on my way with a have a nice day and good boy sticker on the window. There is a local one here that usually sets up on Rt. 17 North right as you come off of I-95 North in Stafford. He is very easy to work with from what I hear. He will work with you as long as you don't give him any attitude. The other's that like to setup with him, a Stafford Fire Marshall who is DOT checked and 2 local Sheriff's are not one's you want to deal with alone. Word is, complete jerks who love to tear drivers a new one. If everything is good, they will hold you there a bit longer and go over the truck 2-3 times trying to nail you with something, if they can't they get angry and let you go.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:51 PM

In both fields of work (cops and drivers), common sense, courtesy and professionalism go a long way. Too bad these traits are slowly dwindling in America.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyandpuppy View Post
In both fields of work (cops and drivers), common sense, courtesy and professionalism go a long way. Too bad these traits are slowly dwindling in America.
Those traits are dying in humanity.. It's not just happening in Amerika..

Timberwolf
Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 AM

I've had dealings with great troopers too. I got a DOT inspection last November in Arkansas coming out of TN and the trooper was the nicest, most friendlist guy, and he's by no means the acception to the rule. It's just, every once in a while you get some jackass with a chip on his shoulder who doesn't know how to handle his authority.