User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default lets see where this goes..

Govt proposing that many trucks improve efficiency - Yahoo! News

if you read down there is a quote "this should drop shipping costs". aka. lower rates... yippy
Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Board Icon

O.K.... I read it. I like what I hear. If we can improve fuel economy in CARS, we should be able to do the same with big trucks.

For an O/O, the cost of doing business should decline IF they buy a new truck. For companies, the cost of doing business will decline.

I've heard that some car manufacturer has finally caught on to an idea I had several YEARS ago about how revolutions of the axle could be "generating" stored energy in a battery.

What if we had THIS in Class 8 trucks? EVEN if you have to use the "diesel engine" all day for power and kinetic energy to MOVE the truck, couldn't it be storing "generated" power to be used at night in the truckstop to keep you warm or cool WITHOUT idling the engine? It would put the APU out of service! :roll: And do away with the fumes of idling trucks in truckstops at night.

This is why, for YEARS, they've tried "plug in" systems, or IdleAire, or whatever! It is GOING to happen! Might as well get on the RIGHT side of it!

Yes, it could cost RATES to drop. but, if FUEL COSTS (or expenses) drop.... then you can stand it! Besides, that reduces the price of the "commodity" when it is on the shelf and you are shopping!

My point is... lower RATES are not a problem IF countered by lower COSTS of running a truck! And it has an ADDITIONAL benefit of lowering costs for the products that we ALL need and buy every week.

Thanks to Obama and his policies, we are developing (AND producing here in America) BETTER batteries for cars and trucks, that will increase productivity while reducing costs AND emmissions.

I'm sure GMAN will claim that it's all a communist agenda to make him buy a NEW truck! Well.... it's about TIME! :lol:

SELL your "old truck" to a local company that will be "exempt" from the standards, then BUY a new truck that will SAVE you money! You can "get with" the new generation of trucking, or you can go the way of the dinosaur. YOUR choice.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member

you make a lot of good points golfhobo. personally i like the older trucks. just me though. i'm all for cleaner air and better mpg. but it will almost definitely kill the o/o. again.. my opinion.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Senior Board Member

You can already get non-APU power systems, including ones with air conditioning. Instead of the apu, it adds a bank of batteries, which charge from the trucks alternator while you drive. When the truck is shut down, the battery bank is isolated from the main truck batteries completely.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Senior Board Member

[QUOTE=golfhobo;488631]

What if we had THIS in Class 8 trucks? EVEN if you have to use the "diesel engine" all day for power and kinetic energy to MOVE the truck, couldn't it be storing "generated" power to be used at night in the truckstop to keep you warm or cool WITHOUT idling the engine? It would put the APU out of service! :roll: And do away with the fumes of idling trucks in truckstops at night.

UMMM I hate to break this to you Hobo we already have a system like this, it's called an alternator and battery! I have 8 batteries on my truck and and 4 of them provide A/C or power for the heater fan for up to 20 hrs (so they say) I do know it works pretty good but does lack a little on a hot sunny day and more than likely wouldn't be good down south.
As far as cleaner air AND better mpg, that's tough all that EGR and DPF stuff cuts down on fuel economy not adding to it.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I've heard that some car manufacturer has finally caught on to an idea I had several YEARS ago about how revolutions of the axle could be "generating" stored energy in a battery.
Not sure who started it first but I know F1 gave something like it a try, it was called the KERS system the past 2 years. Many teams abandoned it this year though as it was costly and didn't perform quite like they expected on the race cars. When used it was like giving a shot of nitro to the engine, they would hit a button as they came out of a turn to regain their speed easier and quicker.

I'll take a wait and see on this with trucks. I do not think it will reduce shipping costs right away if ever. How much more are the trucks going to cost now?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

what about these new motors with the urea? from my understanding its just injected cutting down on the NOX if i'm not mistaken but i could be wrong. does that mean back to just egr?

i think as far as the mpg goes, one of the secrets should be something like GM's DOD (displacement on demand), or dodges version witch works great. cut back some cylinders when not in use.

as far as free energy for a apu or anything. it'll never happen. weather it come from your alt. charging a battery, shore power witch takes from the electric company.. its just a tough one.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
as far as free energy for a apu or anything. it'll never happen. weather it come from your alt. charging a battery, shore power witch takes from the electric company.. its just a tough one.
I agree completely but that won't stop politicians from mandating it. After all if they pass a law saying it's so then it will be so!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I agree completely but that won't stop politicians from mandating it. After all if they pass a law saying it's so then it will be so!
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hello, I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Some people trip over themselves to open the door.................. amazing. :roll:
Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Senior Board Member

why cant we have diesel/electric and go 400 miles on a gallon of fuel like the trains do