User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Project Jason - Getting Involved

Throughout my life, I’ve always made it a point to be aware of what’s happening around me and to lend a hand when a hand was needed, regardless of the fact that I’m really not a big fan of people in general. I’ve always done what I could without comment or fanfare, without the need for recognition…I have simply tried to be a good person and to be nice and tolerant of others. I don’t always succeed in that (particularly in the political arena) and there are admittedly some people out there that I’d like to see launched into deep space in their underwear.

That said, of any of the causes I’ve contributed to or given a hand to over the years, I’ve said little if anything about it, because it was never about me. But today, I’m going to draw your attention to one cause, particularly because I believe that with the mobility of this profession, you can help.

If you are not aware of Project Jason, I urge you to check out Project Jason - Assistance for Families of the Missing They are a non-profit organization dedicated to helping find lost or missing persons from young to old, as well as providing aid and support to families and friends that are missing loved ones. I’ve been aware of them for quite some time, but actually started looking into them when I saw a story about a missing person a couple of weeks ago in one of the trucking digests. I am not affiliated with Project Jason other than signing up to be a volunteer when/if needed and I have spoken to the organization founder, Kelly Jolkowski, a few times via e-mail. It has been enough to find belief in their cause and if you read through some of the stories in their news forum, it will break your heart.

I’ve never been in a situation where I have had a family member or loved one go missing and that’s something I am eternally grateful for. And I pray every day that I never do have to suffer what these people are going through. I was like most everybody else when the missing person story or the amber alert came up in the news somewhere…I would take a moment to express sympathy and concern and then it passed when the story passed and I wouldn’t give it another thought. That’s not being cold or callous…it’s simply human nature. A person’s standard reaction to ‘bad news’ is that it’s always someone else that it happens to. But when you read through some of the stories on the site, you realize that these people thought the same thing, until they suddenly became that someone else.

Most of you guys are drivers and because of that, I’d urge you to check out their 18 Wheel Angels project. In a nutshell, it’s a program designed around truckers and their mobility and ability to get the word out on specific missing persons.

Project Jason - 18 Wheel Angels

I’ll finish up by saying that I’m not making this post to scream at everyone to hurry and get involved and do your part. You either will or you won’t…it’s a personal decision and should remain so. There are a zillion good causes out there. This simply happens to be one that I feel very strongly about and that I believe in. I am simply making this post to cast a bit more awareness on the issue and because as truckers, you'd be on the front lines.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Twilight Flyer; 08-27-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Board Icon

I've never heard of Project Jason, but it sounds like a good organization.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
I've never heard of Project Jason, but it sounds like a good organization.
I agree. I’ve always admired people that have a cause and stick to it and theirs is definitely an agonizing and a very worthwhile one. I’ve looked through a lot of those stories, particularly in the Central area that includes Iowa and I recognized a few of those names. I remember seeing the news stories when they were happening, but never gave it a lot of thought other than the cursory ‘hope it all works out’. I think differently today and thankfully that’s not because I’ve become that someone else.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Board Member

I just found this:

Police: Sex offender, wife arrested in kidnap - Yahoo! News

I thought it kinda goes along with the thread. Too bad they all can't turn out happy.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
I just found this:

I thought it kinda goes along with the thread. Too bad they all can't turn out happy.
Man, that's something!
It's good that she's ok, but all those years without her. Man!

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 09-14-2009, 02:42 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
I just found this:

Sex offender units across the country are watching this one very closely. He was under supervision and subject to "UN-ANNOUNCED SEARCHES". And, with all that, he kept her for all those years. Ask any member of any of those units, anywhere in the country. This one is a nightmare for them all. They all realize this could happen in any one of their areas. It's got some really broad implication around the whole country.

Personally, I got involved with MISSINGKIDS.COM They post pictures of the kdis, and try to update them as they might look today.

Some years ago, I was at a small truck stop on I-70 in IN. Some guy in a conversion van was on the CB telling us about his "neice" that would come and clean your truck for $20. "If she likes ya, she'll take her top off for you, and if she likes you even better, she'll do more than that." I got a look at her because she came to my truck by mistake. I thought she was a bit young, but that was about it.

Two days later, I was at a shipper in WI that kept a file of pics from Missing Kids.com for the driviers to look at. Her picture was in there. 15 years old, missing from Arkansas.

These days, I carry my own file from Missing kids, and I look through it every week as well as update it if need be. If I ever get to see one again, I'll have all the information to give to proper authorities, and I'll never forget her face.

We're always in truck stops, and many times, there are other people there with kids. Vast majority of the time, the kids are theirs. But, maybe... Just maybe, I'll get to see another kid that belongs to someone else. Time for them to be able to go home.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Some years ago, I was at a small truck stop on I-70 in IN. Some guy in a conversion van was on the CB telling us about his "neice" that would come and clean your truck for $20. "If she likes ya, she'll take her top off for you, and if she likes you even better, she'll do more than that." I got a look at her because she came to my truck by mistake. I thought she was a bit young, but that was about it.

Two days later, I was at a shipper in WI that kept a file of pics from Missing Kids.com for the driviers to look at. Her picture was in there. 15 years old, missing from Arkansas.
Hey Wind, I’m sorry that you had to go through that. It’s gotta be rough asking yourself ‘what if?’. While I’ve never had just such an incident, I find myself asking ‘what if’ I missed something because I was not paying attention in the past?

Glad to see you’re involved with one of these organizations. If anything, it helps restore a little bit of my depleted faith in humanity. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Rookie

What a great idea for people who spend a lot of time on the road. A great project, and you don't have to go out of your way to participate!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:07 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Yes, it is. I just wish more people would look into the plight of the missing.