Default 2 dead from rig on shoulder

2 Dead When Car Hits Big Rig On 101 Freeway In Agoura Hills - cbs2.com
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

were his reflectors or cones out? please tell me he was not in his sleeper berth catching his 10 hrs off. were his hazard lights on?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:13 AM
Board Icon

I watched the video and I see NO signs of either flashers OR triangles. Don't know about the status of the driver at the time.

In related news (seen in video on the same news site,) a CHP officer was injured when a runaway truck ran into his cruiser on the northbound downslope of the Grapevine. The Officer was actually trying to "clear the road" in front of the truck which was barreling down the hill at about 80 mph! :eek2:

He should have taken one of (I believe) 3 runaway ramps! (or is it just the one at the bottom?) Anyway.... what a ride that must have been! Doing 80 down the Grapevine??

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:14 AM

I just came down the Grapevine a couple hrs ago and they were still cleaning up the mess on the shoulder. He had to be heavy, he was loaded with pallets of bottled water or soda. He missed the only gravel ramp and there were tracks in it also, maybe another truck was in there at the time and he had nowhere to go. It's no wonder why trucks have a problem on those hills, the road surface is total hell on trucks. I thought a couple times my dash was gonna fall apart or the passenger seat was gonna come off the floor. Why can't California fix roads like other states do? I-5 in Oregon is a dream to drive on. Wasington is ok till you get around Seattle, but at least they keep working on it. I understand CA is in a budget crisis, but what happen to federal funding for interstate hwys? Did it go in some politician's pocket? I-5 in the Red Bluff area is bad too. They've been on it for over a year now and it's no where near fun to drive on.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunker View Post
I just came down the Grapevine a couple hrs ago and they were still cleaning up the mess on the shoulder. He had to be heavy, he was loaded with pallets of bottled water or soda. He missed the only gravel ramp and there were tracks in it also, maybe another truck was in there at the time and he had nowhere to go. It's no wonder why trucks have a problem on those hills, the road surface is total hell on trucks. I thought a couple times my dash was gonna fall apart or the passenger seat was gonna come off the floor. Why can't California fix roads like other states do? I-5 in Oregon is a dream to drive on. Wasington is ok till you get around Seattle, but at least they keep working on it. I understand CA is in a budget crisis, but what happen to federal funding for interstate hwys? Did it go in some politician's pocket? I-5 in the Red Bluff area is bad too. They've been on it for over a year now and it's no where near fun to drive on.
I think this explains it
California:

The Governor of California is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out, bites the Governor and attacks his dog

1. The Governor starts to intervene, but reflects upon the movie "Bambi" and then realizes he should
stop; the coyote is only doing what is natural.

2. He calls animal control. Animal Control captures coyote and bills the State $200 testing it for
diseases and $500 for relocating it.

3. He calls a veterinarian. The vet collects the dead dog and bills the State $200 testing it for diseases.

4. The Governor goes to hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for diseases from the coyote
and on getting his bite wound bandaged.

5. The running trail gets shut down for 6 months while Fish & Game conducts a $100,000 survey
to make sure the area is free of dangerous animals.

6. The Governor spends $50,000 in state funds implementing a "coyote awareness" program for
residents of the area.

7. The State Legislature spends $2 million to study how to better treat rabies and how to permanently eradicate the disease throughout the world.

8. The Governor's security agent is fired for not stopping the attack somehow and for letting the
Governor attempt to intervene.

9. Additional cost to State of California : $75,000 to hire and train a new security agent with
additional special training re: the nature of coyotes.

10. PETA protests the coyote's relocation and files suit against the State.

Arizona:

The Governor of Arizona is jogging with her dog along a nature trail. A Coyote jumps out and attacks her dog:

1. The Governor shoots the coyote with her State-issued pistol and keeps jogging. The Governor has spent $0.50 on a .45 ACP hollow point cartridge.

2. Buzzards eat the dead coyote.

And that's why California is broke
Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunker View Post
You would think that they might keep in mind that anytime a heavy vehicle is moving slow, the pressure from the tires acts like a PRESS on the road surface. For any road surface where trucks are moving slow, they need to allot more funding for resurfacing. The rougher the surface, the more difficult it is to control any vehicle, and that includes trucks.

I got to dive for the ditch when I was putting my triangles out once. And, the jeep that ran down the 2 triangles that I had already put out nearly rolled it to avoid the back of my trailer. It was an up-grade where a lot of trucks are geared down, and although there were not pot-holes, it was all "speed bumps". I blew a steer. The wheels on the jeep looked like they were spending half their time off the road surface. When he managed to get into another lane where there were no slow trucks, he didn't seem to have any more trouble. Yes, he was also going too fast for speed limits and conditions, but tell me who doesn't.