User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What's the best gps for a truck driver?

Does anyone use a GPS? If so what is the best one. I've heard there are several to choose from.

Also is there monthly fees? Do you just plug them into a computer for software updates?

I'm not really interested in live traffic. I just want one that serves the purpose and won't lead me off on a restricted route. Or puts me under a low overpass.

I've always just used a truck version of an atlas. I was just thinking a GPS might be better.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Senior Board Member

in my humble opinion, the new Garmin with truck routing is the best
now here comes all the old-timers to tell you how a gps is no good and all you need is a map
map wont find the nearest repair shop,nearest truck stop, nearest motel, gps will
Old 03-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
in my humble opinion, the new Garmin with truck routing is the best
now here comes all the old-timers to tell you how a gps is no good and all you need is a map
map wont find the nearest repair shop,nearest truck stop, nearest motel, gps will
X2
we've been using a gps for 6 years (not a trucking version). and company gps (truck version) for 2 years
the truck version has told us to go down roads that have sign's NO TRUCKS have had it tell me to turn right when i could see the sign 12' 9"...! so no matter what the gps tells you to do it's still up to YOU to keep your eyes open and look and i still cross check it with a MCA.

with that said the old-timers will say you don't need a gps and you realy don't but it helps so much to have one. the MCA has alot of info in it but it doesn't have a street map of the whole USA & CANADA like my laptop gps does. no one has a phone book for the USA in their truck but my GPS does. like Fredog said i can search for stores (walmart. etc) and it will show ware thay are , how far, how long, & the phone #.

a gps is a tool just like the MCA is if used properly it's an asset if used umproperly it will run you into a low bridge, wrong road, or a lake...! btw the ONLY laptop based truck gps is co-pilot $200 with out gps & $300 with gps
Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Senior Board Member

x3 on this. I use Garmin Mobile PC for my laptop. I can easily make the route match exactly with what I need to do the load legally. With that, I can also find the truckstops I need to add to the route for fueling, as well as finding locations to eat and shut down at the end of the day. Another great thing is that my GPS will give me a very accurate ETA to my delivery. Just never EVER rely on it 100%.