Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I think they saw a chance and took it.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

It was the coffee. They should NEVER have changed coffee cups. Morons . .

Otherwise, the "liquidity crisis" might help explain the $0.30 overnight increase in OJ prices. I buy one every morning . . I would know. As a COMDATA dependent company driver, I have no alegiance to them other than parking and convenience. So, I put the OJ back and drove across the street to the PILOT, who's coffee I prefer, anyway.

With Kevin gone, can we turn this into a Hook bashing thread? Good.

I swore off their restaurants ages ago, as the price creep had crept too far. I bought 1 breakfast sandwich from the deli case . . 2, maybe 3 years ago . . it was horrid. I've had 2 slices from the often unattended pizza bar . . undercooked both times and I had one, straight from the can, 2 item Chinese entree . . the rice may have been edible.

As a rule, I'm a defender of truck stop price gouging because, let's face it, they spend a lot of money to provide access and parking. But, there's a fine line between gouging and stealing and my perception is that FJ has crossed it. Prices have always outpaced quality and as the divide grows greater, I start to feel like a chump for even thinking about spending money with them. I have no clue as to the economics of oil but I do know that a lot of their restaurants bleed cash and the #1 cost item in the inconvenient stores is shoplifting
Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Great. There goes my pee breaks. That's about the only reason I stop at a hook.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 12-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post

Otherwise, the "liquidity crisis" might help explain the $0.30 overnight increase in OJ prices. I buy one every morning . . I would know. As a COMDATA dependent company driver, I have no alegiance to them other than parking and convenience. So, I put the OJ back and drove across the street to the PILOT, who's coffee I prefer, anyway.

I swore off their restaurants ages ago, as the price creep had crept too far. I bought 1 breakfast sandwich from the deli case . . 2, maybe 3 years ago . . it was horrid. I've had 2 slices from the often unattended pizza bar . . undercooked both times and I had one, straight from the can, 2 item Chinese entree . . the rice may have been edible.

As a rule, I'm a defender of truck stop price gouging because, let's face it, they spend a lot of money to provide access and parking. But, there's a fine line between gouging and stealing and my perception is that FJ has crossed it. Prices have always outpaced quality and as the divide grows greater, I start to feel like a chump for even thinking about spending money with them. I have no clue as to the economics of oil but I do know that a lot of their restaurants bleed cash and the #1 cost item in the inconvenient stores is shoplifting
Last time I was going to eat at a T/A, I was given coffee, and then waited for the waitress to come back and take my order for more than 45 minutes. By that time, I ran out of time to wait anymore. Paid for my coffee and left. Never have stopped at a T/A to eat since.

Service I've had at a Flying J has never been that bad. And, the food has not killed me yet. But, I admit, I generally fix my own meals right there in the truck. Microwave, and butane stove.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Flying J

It looks like it is limited to two subsidiaries only the pipleline and refinery portion.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle View Post

It looks like it is limited to two subsidiaries only the pipleline and refinery portion.
From their website . .

5. Which of the company’s operations are included in the filing?
The filing includes Flying J Inc. and its Big West refining and Longhorn Pipeline subsidiaries only. No other subsidiaries, affiliates, or any of the company’s Canadian operations were included.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Just a reminder . . Tonight is Santa's Salmonella Special at Flying J, brought to you by his favorite sleigh manufacturer, Volvo. Show your CDL for a free, all you can stomache, turkey dinner.

On an unrelated note, I will be in Metairie, LA. It's the first time I'll be that close to Nawlins since . . 1976 or 7. Has it changed, much? Are the levees still holding? Anyone have any dining or entertainment suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Last time I was going to eat at a T/A, I was given coffee, and then waited for the waitress to come back and take my order for more than 45 minutes. By that time, I ran out of time to wait anymore. Paid for my coffee and left. Never have stopped at a T/A to eat since.
Interesting . . I had a nearly identical experience, recently. The waitress vanished. I want to say it was the first one west of Knoxville, west of the 40/75 split.

Last edited by cdswans; 12-24-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Board Icon

cdswans said:

Quote:
Just a reminder . . Tonight is Santa's Salmonella Special at Flying J, brought to you by his favorite sleigh manufacturer, Volvo. Show your CDL for a free, all you can stomache, turkey dinner.
I KNEW there was a good reason my run to the Waddy flying hook got canceled today!

Quote:
On an unrelated note, I will be in Metairie, LA. It's the first time I'll be that close to Nawlins since . . 1976 or 7. Has it changed, much? Are the levees still holding? Anyone have any dining or entertainment suggestions?
I was there for July 4th 1976 (Bicentennial.) It was a blast! Yeah, sadly it has changed alot. Dining suggestion? ABOVE SEA LEVEL!

Quote:
Interesting . . I had a nearly identical experience, recently. The waitress vanished. I want to say it was the first one west of Knoxville, west of the 40/75 split.
Well, that would depend on which way you were heading. If eastbound, the first one west of the 40/75 split is on the north side at exit 374. It's an older one with a real T/A restaurant. If westbound, you might be talking about the first one EAST of the westbound/southbound 40/75 split. That would be the one on the south side at exit 369 (same exit as the "hook" and the Petro.) That one has a PERKINS restaurant. (this exit is also the first one west of the scales.)

If you have any further questions regarding exits, truckstop locations, or route confluences.... just ASK me! I'm a supertrucker, and I know 'em ALL! :lol2::lol2:

(of course it doesn't hurt that I went through there almost every week or two for my first 3 years!)

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Board Regular

i wonder if that is Dobry in her pic thingy...if so she is HOT. damn baby, merry christmas. will you be my mentor if i come over to swifty???
Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post

Breakfast this morning at Flying J...

Eggs done exactly right. Not only to my taste, but something more than a dozen driver expressed the same sentiments. Hot italian sausage, bratwurst, patties of Jimmy Deans PURE PORK SAUSAGE, and pan fried toast. The restaurant manager came out and stood there with his hands on his hips a couple of times and once even started walking toward us... Then turned around and went back inside...

Oh... No, this wasn't IN the restaurant... It was out in the parking lot in front of my truck... And, in full view of the patrons of the restaurant. I only had one dozen eggs in my cooler, and the hot italian sausage. I have no idea where the bratwurst or the breakfast sausage came from. Two loaves of bread, a pound of butter, and one driver went to the Petro a couple of miles south and picked up two more cans of butane for my stove (Even though I didn't go through one). I have no idea where the other 5 dozen eggs came from. But, some of the guys handed me money, my dozen eggs has been replaced... By someone. I have two more packages of the hot italian sausages, a package of bratwurst (which I never carried with me), two more loaves of bread, a gallon of milk, and another 5 pounds of coffee. Almost forgot.. Two more packages of paper plates and 2 more pounds of butter. (Am I glad I have two coolers in my truck.) When I started out, I had 3 twenty-dollar-bills in my pocket... Now, I have more than $160... And, everybody left with big smiles on their faces... Everybody but the restaurant manager, that is... :lol: :thumbsup: :clap: :lol2::lol2::lol2: From all the compliments I got, I know the guys (Yes, there were a few women there too.) enjoyed it, and thanks for the donations. I won't have to buy anything for the coolers for the next two weeks.