User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default looking for a job, made a big mistake

Hello all, just going to ask, since there is a large pool to question. I was previously employed by risinger brothers. Up till July things were going well. At that point they switched me to a truck that was supposed to be a loaner truck and told me to get just the bare essentials and go so that's what I did. About a week later I called and found out they moved everything out of my old truck and put it in storage, first i found out they forgot to remove $130 worth of antennas, then I found out they lost between several hundred dollars if not close to 1k worth of my stuff. Needless to say at that point my service started lacking. I'll admit that I made a mistake, even losing that stuff shouldn't have affected me like that. Especially with the market being as it is. Even if it did, I should have put in my notice once I saw my performance going downhill, maybe they would have done something to replace it b4 they let me go. Of course the reason I'm posting this is because they did terminate me ( I just couldn't let a job go, even when I could see where it was headed). Now I have 2 terminations in a row on my record, one for accidents on June of 06 and may of 07 and the last one for being late on loads. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been open and honest about the situation, even had one or two recruiters try and push the app through because of me being honest with them but in the end safety wouldn't sign off because of two terms in a row.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Board Icon

No offense, but you're pretty much screwed right now. The market for drivers has shrunk, and companies are getting extremely picky on who they hire. Someone with two terminations and accidents that are less than three years old is pretty much SOL.

So I hope you learned your lesson, that trying to spite a company by shooting yourself in the foot never works.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Board Member

:hellno::hellno::hellno:
Old 11-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Board Regular

i want to know why you had 1000k worth of STUFF in your truck. that was like asking to get stuff stolen.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Board Member

I know I got myself discharged from Werner after 2.5 yrs there ...I was due into court on the 19th of nov 2007 ...and I found ths out on 11/9/07 while in Omaha at the terminal, so I put in to be home on 11/18/07...which more than requied notice...Well my DM said...NO...I kept moving and on the 15th of Nov 2007 I sat in Dallas TX pre assinged to a load picking up in Dallas on 11/16/07 at 2200 going to Orland FL I asked if the pre-assgn load was splitting/swapping my DM said no you will need to final it ...Well that means missing court ,So I argued and put my 2wk in...Then asked if I could bring truck into DALLAS terminal and turn in keys ,so I could rent a car and get home for court...ON TIME...I was given permission over QC ,and when I came in they asked me to stop by safety b4 turning in keys...well they discharged me b4 I turned in my keys ...

I had good safety record for my 2.5 yrs there ,and a good MVR ...And getting another job took 2 months ,and trust me it was not my 1st choice company ...not even 10th choice ,but once I got that job nerarly everyone was calling me by the 6 month mark many at the 2-3 month ...The issue is no good copany wants to see a term as last employer...Now I did'nt like many things at GTS ,but I put up with it until I became hireable by my choice of companies again...If you do find a company to hire you they are going to be a bottom feeder ,and they will be hiring you b/c you got no options, So be carefull and tow the line or you will remain unemployable.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeh, I did learn my lesson, no offense taken rev. I prety much figured that part out. It's a painful one but I learned it. I think as Rev said, I'm screwed for about 6 mos. Then after 6 mos start looking for the places that will probably be doing refresher courses. Not sure how long most companies consider out to long. The big lesson here is to stick the job out and if you don't see things working out. Find an out that will work for you and the company. My biggest issue is, I have a hard time leaving, even if I don't think the job will work. Also, to save me the headaches, travel as light as I can. I actually did that in the end and made life much easier.

it wasn't 1000K it was a few hundred to 1K worth of stuff. Tools and toolbox, colman 40qt cooler, cheater bar, 60 air hose, lights, fuses, Hardened lock, kingpin lock, microwave, 1500 watt inverter, a weeks worth of clothes, receipts for tax write offs, a skipjack antenna, a predator 10-k competition antenna. and that's only the stuff I can recall off the top of my head.

Regardless, I won't make the mistake again. Lesson learned on many fronts in this situation.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, I'm going to have six months completed with this smaller, container-hauler I'm currently with.
I talked to the recruiters and safety at Swift, and they keep telling me to call back and get ready once the sixth month is over.

If this rehire goes through smoothly, then I'll consider it a good deal.

If not, then I'm most likely either going to get the precursor to paramedic training, EMT-I completed at a JC next Spring.

Or, take the written test for Arizona Department of Corrections, pass all the backgrounds and whatnot(I heard their psych is somewhat, more lax than CA DCR), and then leave California for good!!!

Nonetheless, I'll still hold onto, and maintain my CDL, regardless of what educational path I'm forced into.

Just don't find me working in an office.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Smile

Try CRST. They will hire just about anyone. You may have to drive team with a convicted felon or a registered kid toucher, but if that doesnt offfend your sensibilities you may be a shoe in ;-)
Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Rookie
Default geeshock, where are you from??

It's hard to suggest a job if people don't know where you are from. Keep plugging away--there are companies who will hire you. Sometimes if you explain (I've seen this in person with a guy who forgot to tell the new company he had an eluding the police on his record) that you did something stupid and have regrets, people will cut you some slack. Some companies joke about the hiring policy being, "If they have a pulse, we hire them."

I don't know how many accidents or tickets you have, but that will likely be MORE of a factor in hiring than any personality conflict you may have had with a company. That's too bad about Reisinger...I've heard good things about them. They should have done you right on the truck though. Tough break. Good luck with the job hunt. Tell people what area you are from and I'm sure someone out there can help. There are definately good and bad areas to be from if you are a driver. Also, how often do you want to be home--also a big factor. You may have to be out some of the weekends if you want to broaden your company search a bit.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Board Member

They have done me right overall. I Should not have trusted my stuff would be there and I should have traveled lighter. In the end it took me less than an hour to transfer my stuff over but this is after my stuff disapeared. I'll be the first to admit I screwed up and if I had the chance to change things I would but thats in the past. Right now I'm going check out the yello pages and start calling companies down the list. Right now jobs are tough to find. BTW i live in Elizabeth City, NC 60 miles south of Norfolk, VA.

As Rev and you have mentioned, the 2 terms arent even the issue 90% of the time, the accedent in may of 2007 is usualy the issue. Most tell me to check back in may or june when it's over 2 years old.