User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bad day in WV

Wow - talk about a bad day to be driving either on I-68 or I-79 at Morgantown, WV today:

Wrecks 1 & 2: http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=v...&storyid=41912

Wreck 3 (fatality): http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=v...&storyid=41906

I just missed getting tied up in the first 2 wrecks. I came through there no more than 15 minutes before it happened. The first 2 wrecks happened within 1/4 mile of each other. The 3rd wreck is about 15 miles away via the interstate.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Default Re: Bad day in WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Wow - talk about a bad day to be driving either on I-68 or I-79 at Morgantown, WV today:

Wrecks 1 & 2: http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=v...&storyid=41912

Wreck 3 (fatality): http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=v...&storyid=41906

I just missed getting tied up in the first 2 wrecks. I came through there no more than 15 minutes before it happened. The first 2 wrecks happened within 1/4 mile of each other. The 3rd wreck is about 15 miles away via the interstate.

I live close by in Morgantown WV and at this particular point on 68 trucks wreck alot. There have been several fatalities over the years ive lived here. I have to drive it when i come home and let me tell you this, alot of the accidents are caused by speed. On my way home yesterday coming down the mountain (6-7 % grade for several miles) i was in 9th with the jakes on full keeping it to 50-55 stab braking and trucks were passing me going at least 60-70. I think its more of the attitude of well it cant happen to me. Well it can ive seen it alot. it can happen to you. This is a very busy exit with alot of 4 wheeler traffic and at this point in time construction , people will and do die in most cases. SLOW down read the signs. Im new and dont wanna sound preachy but ive seen so many accidents here and 13 driver fatalities and several more 4 wheeler deaths( in the 24 years ive been). we can be safer out there it saves lives. BJS

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Senior Board Member

I know exactly what you mean. I'm based in Fairmont and for the past couple of weeks I've been running shuttle trucks between Fairmont and Keyser. What makes it really bad now is that road work. Even though the merging traffic plainly has a Stop sign, you'd swear none of them have ever seen one. That's what caused the wreck on the bridge today - a 6 wheeler pulling a gooseneck trailer pulled out in front of a Mayflower T/T driver.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:46 PM

Well, Malaki, Mayflower was supposed to slow down for the six wheeler w/ gooseneck! Is it not mandated by law that we slow down for everyone on the interstate whether they have the right of way or not? By God, when will those truck drivers learn their place... and stay in it?!
:roll:
I have developed my sarcasm through the years.

This sort of behavior really gets under my skin. Sometimes I feel like other motorists won't be happy unless they see us all in the ditch. That's how they drive! I try to watch out for them, but the reason is primarily selfish.. in watching out for them, I am protecting my own record. Isn't that selfish? :?:

Entrance ramps are the bain of my existence! I never expect for people to yield - even if there is a yield or WORSE a stop sign. I always expect the worse, and am pleasantly surprised if they do what they're supposed to do..
And then.. I-68 & I-79 = nothing but up-and-down mountains, and you know how most drivers get when they think someone is slowing them down... I'm always afraid that if I go slower - read: the speed limit - that one of these crazy people will run into my trailer, thereby ruining my good day...
I feel for the people involved... but -

What else can we do?..
Old 08-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Senior Board Member

How's this for a follow-up report:

Quote:
Cheat Lake Construction and Crash Concerns
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 ; 05:40 PM
Updated Friday, August 1, 2008 ; 06:49 PM

Watch Story Video
The Cheat Lake area of I-68 has been the scene of several fatal accidents since bridge construction started more than a month ago. People that live near the Cheat Lake Exit say something should be done to stop all the accidents.

Story by Macall Allen
Email | Bio | Other Stories by Macall Allen

CHEAT LAKE -- June 20th emergency crews loaded an elderly driver into an ambulance.

A tractor trailer and the man's small SUV collided at the Cheat Lake Exit.

Then on July 30th another crash happened in almost the same spot.

Two tractor trailers wrecked and four passengers of a BMW ended up in the hospital.

Drivers say the construction on the I-68 bridge makes Exit 10 a dangerous place.

"It's an awful situation," says Cheat Lake resident Paula Booth. "I know they have to do the bridge repair work, that's important, but we've come to think of it as a death trap and taking your life in your own hands," says Booth.

Residents say they try to avoid the highway altogether.

"I even try to go around it. I'll go the old iron bridge way to get away from it because it is scary," says Cheat Lake resident Ruth Stone.

Motorists are coming off a steep mountain and they are immediately forced to merge into one lane because of construction and right before the merge, cars entering the highway must make a complete stop and this becomes dangerous for both drivers coming down the hill and those getting on the interstate.

People who travel the road every day say something should be done to prevent accidents from happening.

"They need better signs. They need to slow the trucks down to 10 miles per hour. They should be in their lowest gear coming off that mountain," says local business owner Barry Frey.

The Division of Highways says it has put out extra signs and state troopers say crews have done what they can.

"It is set up as the safest way possible right now. Unfortunately, where the merging lane is it is in the curve of the interstate," says Cpl. R. E. Garrison.

He says drivers have to be responsible for their safety too and use caution in the area.

The Division of Highways says the construction should be finished in the next four to five weeks.

They say they hope to be finished in time for WVU's first home football game on August 30th.

Copyright 2008 West Virginia Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Hmmm - I come down that hill @ 50mph. When I get within 1 miles of the construction (one lane closed), I slow to 40-45mph. Why? Because I've had to lock up my brakes 3 times in 7 days (14 runs) when idiots coming from the entrance ramp (with a stop sign) just pull out in front of me.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
"They need better signs. They need to slow the trucks down to 10 miles per hour. They should be in their lowest gear coming off that mountain," says local business owner Barry Frey.
Ah yes, the ignorant have come out to play it looks like. It's always those big trucks fault. :roll: Slow'em down and let the cars continue to roll, instead of trucks vs cars, you have cars vs cars now. You still have not solved the issue of idiots pulling out in front of traffic. Also, slowing trucks down that much will lead to wrecks from cars coming down the hill much faster and running into the back of them.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:16 PM

I am not surprised by the business owner's comment. But he doesn't travel much obviously... of course there are places that implement a 10 MPH truck speed limit, and to four-wheelers that is *also* an annoyance. It's interesting because those areas (with the 10 MPH speed limit) usually have a multitude of warning signs, but it never fails that cars drive at a high rate of speed behind trucks doing the speed limit! Why do we have the honor of taking care of everyone on the road? Is it really because we get paid to drive?
Old 08-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
How's this for a follow-up report:

Quote:
Cheat Lake Construction and Crash Concerns
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 ; 05:40 PM
Updated Friday, August 1, 2008 ; 06:49 PM

Watch Story Video
The Cheat Lake area of I-68 has been the scene of several fatal accidents since bridge construction started more than a month ago. People that live near the Cheat Lake Exit say something should be done to stop all the accidents.

Story by Macall Allen
Email | Bio | Other Stories by Macall Allen

CHEAT LAKE -- June 20th emergency crews loaded an elderly driver into an ambulance.

A tractor trailer and the man's small SUV collided at the Cheat Lake Exit.

Then on July 30th another crash happened in almost the same spot.

Two tractor trailers wrecked and four passengers of a BMW ended up in the hospital.

Drivers say the construction on the I-68 bridge makes Exit 10 a dangerous place.

"It's an awful situation," says Cheat Lake resident Paula Booth. "I know they have to do the bridge repair work, that's important, but we've come to think of it as a death trap and taking your life in your own hands," says Booth.

Residents say they try to avoid the highway altogether.

"I even try to go around it. I'll go the old iron bridge way to get away from it because it is scary," says Cheat Lake resident Ruth Stone.

Motorists are coming off a steep mountain and they are immediately forced to merge into one lane because of construction and right before the merge, cars entering the highway must make a complete stop and this becomes dangerous for both drivers coming down the hill and those getting on the interstate.

People who travel the road every day say something should be done to prevent accidents from happening.

The Division of Highways says it has put out extra signs and state troopers say crews have done what they can.

"It is set up as the safest way possible right now. Unfortunately, where the merging lane is it is in the curve of the interstate," says Cpl. R. E. Garrison.

He says drivers have to be responsible for their safety too and use caution in the area.

The Division of Highways says the construction should be finished in the next four to five weeks.

They say they hope to be finished in time for WVU's first home football game on August 30th.

Copyright 2008 West Virginia Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Hmmm - I come down that hill @ 50mph. When I get within 1 miles of the construction (one lane closed), I slow to 40-45mph. Why? Because I've had to lock up my brakes 3 times in 7 days (14 runs) when idiots coming from the entrance ramp (with a stop sign) just pull out in front of me.
But, in the article you quoted, they did not say one word about that, did they... Why not??? :?: :?: :?:

Old 08-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Senior Board Member

No - they didn't mention it. I did, however, send an email to the reporter describing what actually happens on that hill:

Quote:
I just finished reading this story on the website and am appalled at this. The problem is *NOT* the trucks coming down the mountain. The problem *IS* the vehicles that don't stop at the stop sign at the end of the entrance ramp before merging onto I-68 west bound.

I drive truck for W.S. Thomas Transfer in Fairmont, WV. Between Friday, July 24th and Thursday, July 31st, I was running 2 loads per day between Keyser & Fairmont. On 3 seperate occasions, I had cars pull out in front of me at that entrance ramp, requiring me to lock up my brakes.

I witnessed the accident involving the Mayflower truck and the 6-wheel truck pulling the trailer of fiberglass tanks. The 6-wheeler plainly pulled out in front of the Mayflower driver who was traveling down the hill.

If people would actually obey the posted signs and obey the law by yielding the right-of-way, there would be no accidents at this interchange.
I just want to see what response (if any) I receive from the reporter.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Board Icon

I realize that laws vary from state to state, but if you're from WV, maybe you can tell me if it's the same there.

Most places I know, the traffic entering the hiway MUST yield to the traffic already on the hiway, whether there is a sign or not.

Is it the same way there? And, if it is, that would have been something you should have pointed out to the reporter. But, I would be interested in his/her answer either way.