Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That is an AMAZING story, Wot! AND very interesting.

I am not familiar with the "magnitude" of the King George award (although I would guess it is equal to the Order of Valor.) In fact, like MOST Americans, I am not at all familiar with ANY of the British commendations. Heck, I just BARELY know all of our OWN! :lol:

Since SO MANY of YOUR brave compatriots are also engaged in this war, I would LIKE to be able to give the proper credit where it is due!

I could easily google the answer but, I'd rather hear it described and embellished as ONLY a Brit can do... so, I'd LIKE to hear it from you!

If you have the time, kind sir. Would you mind telling us ALL about the "orders" of merit (so to speak) in the British Army/Military?

The Brits are a PROUD type, and VERY skilled and well trained.... with a tradition that FAR outpaces our own! If I'm not mistaken, MANY of them date back to the days of King Arthur, if not before.

I would REALLY like to give YOU, our brother, a chance to hold forth with PRIDE and information that we "colonists" might not know! The soapbox is yours, Wot! I hope you won't fail me! :lol:

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:34 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

No dispute on what he deserves. As a matter of fact, I think that for surviving it, he deserves another one.

(Eight lives down in one split second... Only one left to go.... HHHhhmmmmm........)

Has he bought a lottery ticket yet? He's got to be one of the luckiest blokes in the country.....

I would also like to know the "Order of Honors". The George Cross is the highest, what comes below that?

Old 07-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Board Regular

My hat is off to the young man...willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for his fellow soldiers.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 07-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
That is an AMAZING story, Wot! AND very interesting.

I am not familiar with the "magnitude" of the King George award (although I would guess it is equal to the Order of Valor.) In fact, like MOST Americans, I am not at all familiar with ANY of the British commendations. Heck, I just BARELY know all of our OWN! :lol:

Since SO MANY of YOUR brave compatriots are also engaged in this war, I would LIKE to be able to give the proper credit where it is due!

I could easily google the answer but, I'd rather hear it described and embellished as ONLY a Brit can do... so, I'd LIKE to hear it from you!

If you have the time, kind sir. Would you mind telling us ALL about the "orders" of merit (so to speak) in the British Army/Military?

The Brits are a PROUD type, and VERY skilled and well trained.... with a tradition that FAR outpaces our own! If I'm not mistaken, MANY of them date back to the days of King Arthur, if not before.

I would REALLY like to give YOU, our brother, a chance to hold forth with PRIDE and information that we "colonists" might not know! The soapbox is yours, Wot! I hope you won't fail me! :lol:

Hobo
Our highest valour award is the V.C or Victoria Cross. Each of these "gongs" is made from captured Russian cannons during the Crimea War. The George Cross is next in the order merit and third place is the Military Medal.
I remember hearing in history of one guy who won the V.C and bar(Two V.C`s!!!!!)
The regiment with the highest honour list is the Royal Engineers, closely followed by the Medics(Personally, I think the courage of these men and women astounding; working in hails of fire whilst tending to the injured and dying)
Britain`s most decorated soldier was Paddy Mayne, one of the founding members of our World famous S.A.S Regiment.
He is reported to have once killed several German sentries with his bare hands whilst attacking an airfield in Northern Africa.
Paddy Mayne survived the war but was killed by a truck in his native Northern Ireland

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit