User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I GOT A JOB!!!!!

I did! About a month ago (which is kinda why I disappeared for a while there)

I work for "Reliakor" property maintenance. I drive a street sweeper for a living. Elgin Pelican. I'll also drive the Elgin Eagle every now and then, don't need an A license for that (just a B) but it's still fun none the less.

Since these Pelican's have a top speed of about 11mph, gotta pull 'em around on a flatbed/tilt trailer (which is kinda scary to load)

So I drive a range of a few different dump trucks - two with automatics (300hp Cat's) two with 7 speeds (1 with a 260hp, and 1 with a 310hp, both cummins motors) and one tandem dumpy with 13 speed (not sure which motor, I didn't look at the sticker when I was doing my pre-trips)

I like truck # 442 - it's a 7-speed with the 260 cat, it's the slowest truck in the fleet, but he's my "buddy" this truck has personality, and it's the smoothest ride.

It's overnights, I work 7 out of every 14 days, got every other weekend off, and the pay is good. I do truly love this job!

so there's my li'l update.

--Dave.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Congrats, sounds like a gravy job! 8)
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Way to Go Dave,

Thousands of people on welfare were counting on you. :lol: :lol:

Keep it up. :wink:

TW
Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 PM

It does sound like a gravy job - but like flatbedding, I'm responsible for securing my own load, which can be a bit stressful - but each time I load a sweeper, I find a better way to secure it, that takes less time, and ends up being more secure.

And it's more than just loading, off loading, and sweeping ... gotta do a bunch of "hand labor" too - which is using a leaf blower in the corners to get the dirt out of the way. The average lot will take about 2 hours of total work, and each drive is anywhere from an 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hour drive. Some lots require "hand picking" of the trash - once you're out in the field you can see that there is some work - plus you're nearly always in a big cloud of dust - so you never end the day clean.

Yeah ... those welfare folks do have my tax dollars to spend now. If I'd been outta work much longer tho, I may have been one of them! It was getting close, it really was, but with my income now, I'll be able to pay more than the minimum's on my CC's and still toss some back in my savings in case of another rainy day (or cold winter as the case may be)

--Dave.