User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Weird things in Industrial area's

I try almost all the time to stay at the customer the night before I deliver. Doing this most of the times works out great and I'm in an area where I'm pretty much left alone and feel safe. Although there has been some times when I was a bit nervous and didn't know what to do...

Last night I was bobtailed and parked in the corner of the customer drop yard. I didn't see anyone all day and at about midnight, just as I am turning out the lights and heading to bed, headlights shine on my truck... I get up and see a camaro tear into the drop yard, stop and two guys get out. One runs into the darkness and the other stands there and takes a leak. About 5 minutes later the other guy comes back slowly and they talk for a bit then jump in the car and take off as if nothing happend. WTF?

or how about this one. It's not scary but just annoying. I could be out in the middle of nowhere and somehow one of those people who hands out the paper bible magazine... I'm not sure what they are called but they always come up to me and since they are not being rude or asking for money like some truck stop bum, I find it hard to be mean and ignore them...

Do you have any stories from late nights at a customer?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Senior Board Member

I had the ugliest female police officer I'd ever seen come knocking on my door one night in Wichita.. don't get me wrong, she was really pleasant and polite... but I'm still haunted by memories of that hair lip she had going on :?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Senior Board Member

I had never had any problems before, until my girlfriend went out with me for a week. We unloaded in Cincinnati and then shagged a loaded trailer to the JB Hunt drop yard a few miles north of downtown. It was late, so we dropped and the parked along the fence with the front curtains shut.

Before we went to sleep, I noticed a lot of headlights on the street we entered from so I would look out when a pair arrived. Drug deals. Great. Here I am idling for air conditioning, just like a big sign is on the truck to come and rob me. I took my wallet and pulled out everything but $15 and put it back above the drivers seat in the cubby. I stashed the rest under the bunk, rolled up in a sock stuffed into a boot!

My g/f was scared sh|tless. She said later that if I was separating my wallet, then I was scared and she should be as well.

We left as soon as we could the next morning.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Rookie

i was on my way down to the reed mineral/alcoa plant just south of rockdale texas pretty late one night, trying to get down there and pick up a load of black roofing granule before the plant closed. i get in before they close, but it's the first time my company has picked up out of there and some paper work they need to load me wasn't faxed. decide to head back into town, bed down and try it again in the morning. it's really dark, i'm tired and i pull into the first station with a gravel lot that i come to on the south side of town. i dont see, because the sign is pretty faded, but it's posted at one end of the lot that there is no overnight truck parking allowed here. anyway, i post trip and shut down the truck. crack the window and sleeper vents because it's pretty warm. take of my shirt, jeans. keep a tire thumper in the bunk with me. right as i'm falling asleep i hear this knocking on the driver door. i think it's a lot lizard and i'm in my boxers, dont really feel like gettin up and putting on my clothes, so i just yell out "I DONT WANT NO WHORES" thinking this would do the trick. now the person is flat-handed slamming my driver door so i yell out again "I DONT WANT NO DAMN WHORES!" more slamming, so i get the tire thumper, get in the driver seat and roll the window down. it's a local police officer and he says "i aint no whore, but if you hit me with that stick i will lay some shit on you you will never forget. now get your little ass down to the wal-mart and park there so i can keep an eye on you. and put on some g-d clothes" lol. i felt so stupid.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Board Regular

Pulled into a receiver in a realy, realy raunchy area of NJ late in the afternoon, we were informed by the guard that the load wouldn't be ready for almost 10 hours. Asked if there was a place we could park and sleep, he said yeah but don't park by the fence because it's Friday night. I asked what's Friday got to do with it, he said oh you will see and kind of laughed. At this point I got more than a little worried. We parked in front of a couple of trailers with another truck on one side of us and a somewhat long distance view of the street from the other. As the sun went down we watched the zoo come alive in front of us. It was amazing the creatures that come out at night and there was not a four legged one amongst them. We slunk down in our seats and kept the lights out for we didn't want them to realize they were being observed and we lost count of the illegal activities we observed! Needless to say we went to bed with the strap thru the door handles and a club by the bed, which wasn't a match for the gun shots that echoed in the night a few hours later. :shock:

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member

When I was younger we were street racing in an industrial park when a truck driver got in his driver seat and was yelling at us. We were there about a minute before he got cranky.