User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Health Insurance

How many drivers out there have to buy their own health Insurance? We currently have health insureance threw my work but I would really like to quit but then we would have no health care so I am in search of health care to get some prices and see if we can afford good health coverage if I were to quit and work part time. So if anyone could recommned some companys that they have or know of that maybe worth checking into I would appreciate it. If you are happy with who you have or not what should I consider ect ect. I could really use some help on this.

I did post a intro in the one thread new members introduce yourselves.

Thanks
Deb
Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Board Regular

Since you have benefits through your work, then the first place you should check is your human resource office about the price of cobra coverage. It is law that if your employer has more than 20 employees then they have to send you a letter (I believe within 14 days) after you terminate your employment allowing you and all your dependents the opportunity to continue your/their healthcare coverage at your expense. You have to opt to take it within 60 days or you lose out. This is the best option if there is pre-existing conditions in your family (asthma, heart disease, any long-term maintenance medication conditions, etc.) for private insurance companies will make you fill out a questionaire and they are good at denying any claims they suspect are pre-existing. Cobra is good for 18 months and after that time you can usually convert it into a regular policy.

Here is the internet link to the government site explaining it in detail:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.html

Also if you have children, check with your state about any children healthcare plans they may sponsor. Many states have raised the income qualification levels so many people who don't think they qualify actually do.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 PM

At one point I owned (non-trucking) my own business. NYS offers reasonable health coverage for business owners. Maybe your state has a similar system. The Cobra thing is only good for 18 months ???? I think. and can cost some cash. but if there is pre exsisting conditions and it is for the short term that is probably the way to go. If MN has a state business owners health program, start a small business which only costs less than a 100 bucks and get the health insurance threw them. You don't even have to do anything with the business just open one.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

try americanhealthbenefits.com
Old 04-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Senior Board Member