User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default sirius xm merger

i was just wondering what will become of the trucking channels. will it still be road dog or open road :?:
Old 03-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: sirius xm merger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Destruction
i was just wondering what will become of the trucking channels. will it still be road dog or open road :?:
Nothing has really been said about the program line ups except that they possibly might merge similar shows. The merger agreement plan has been extended to May 1st so maybe we will find out more in May?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Board Regular

Nothing for the time being. IIRC, the current technologies are incompatible, so there will not be an immediate culling of programming. wikipedia has a good thumbnail sketch of it
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Board Regular

just something i thought about cause i do like road dogs programming and i have never heard of xm's and dont know anything about it even though im sure they also have good shows
Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

I listen to Road Dog Trucking 147 on Sirius also. The programming gets better as the day goes on in my opinion. The Loading Dock starts the day from 06:00 to 11:00. It's alright and I do listen to it when Howard is off but Mark is really, "lame", that's the only word I can think of now. He's not that edgy but does a good job. I still listen to it though.

From 11:00 to 14:00 is Freewheelin'. It's a little bit more fun but it's also less structured. They talk about various subjects and not all of them are trucking related everyday, usually it is though. They're also a little bit looser with language as well, where as Mark thinks he's on terrestrial radio or something. He doesn't want any curse words what so ever. The hosts of these first two show don't really have any trucking industry experience.

After Freewheelin' is a newer show called The Lockridge Report on from 14:00 to 16:00. Evan Lockridge hosts this show and is heavily involved in the trucking industry. He and his wife do various things in trucking media. This is my new favorite show. Lot's of trucking info and straight to the point. He'll also goof around a little bit but stays right on track. Also with his many connections in the industry he's already had some good guests on. I recommend this show highly.

After The Lockridge Report is a really new show that has no name yet on from 16:00 to 19:00, I think. They just call it "Jonsey" after the guy who hosts it for now. I haven't listened to this show a whole lot but it supposed to be this cross continental conversation CB style. They put more than one driver on the air at once so they can discuss with each other whatever the subject happens to be. There's no set subject, they just kinda go with the flow.

I don't know how I ended up writing a critique of the Sirius trucking channel :?: I also wonder why the Midnight Trucking Radio Network moved from Sirius to XM when they are trying to merge anyways ? As far as the merger it's really dumb that it's taking so long and that they are trying to say it would be a some sort of monopoly. From what they have discussed on Howard, large oil companies have merged much faster without all these hearings. 8) 8)
Old 03-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Large oil companys may have merged faster, but when they merged there was still more than one oil company in business. If XM and Sirius merge, there will only be one satelite radio company, therefore creating a monopoly. That's where the problem lies. Also, when the satelite companies were formed it was drawn up in a way to say that they would not merge. Hence, another problem.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Kramer of CNVC's mad money did a piece on this a couple days ago and went off on the FCC for dragging their feet. He was like unlike the Dish and Echostar merger which was a totally different thing were in the rural areas of the nation there would only be one provider of Sat TV and they were right to deny that one. With the XM merger the difference is you could go to the regular bands and suffer with poor radio reception if needed.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Large oil companys may have merged faster, but when they merged there was still more than one oil company in business. If XM and Sirius merge, there will only be one satelite radio company, therefore creating a monopoly. That's where the problem lies. Also, when the satelite companies were formed it was drawn up in a way to say that they would not merge. Hence, another problem.
It isn't really a monopoly. There are alternatives to satellite radio: HD radio, terrestrial radio. Just because they aren't provided by satellites is irrelevant.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
It isn't really a monopoly. There are alternatives to satellite radio: HD radio, terrestrial radio. Just because they aren't provided by satellites is irrelevant.
Largely depends on the regulators point of view. The same argument could be said about the Directv and Dish Network merger that was quashed. I think this merger between XM and Sirius is going to get stopped for the same reason as Directv/Dish.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Largely depends on the regulators point of view. The same argument could be said about the Directv and Dish Network merger that was quashed. I think this merger between XM and Sirius is going to get stopped for the same reason as Directv/Dish.

keep drinking the kool aid. that's exactly what the paid off senators want you to think