User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Anyone driving and going to school at the same time?

I'm attempting to get back into the seat with a local, bulk-hauler.
Since, they run two, twelve hour shifts, I'm only looking into taking classes during the weekends and only two, a semester at that.
The way I see it, this would be a good way to do it since I don't have any family to worry about, and aside from working/school, I just ride a bicycle, work out at the gym, and play on the computer the rest of the time.
Not to mention the hourly pay rate works just fine for me.
Enough to take care of school and an apartment with the utilities.
Not to mention paying for school yourself is better due to not having to deal with fin-aid lines.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Anyone driving and going to school at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider
I'm attempting to get back into the seat with a local, bulk-hauler.
Since, they run two, twelve hour shifts, I'm only looking into taking classes during the weekends and only two, a semester at that.
The way I see it, this would be a good way to do it since I don't have any family to worry about, and aside from working/school, I just ride a bicycle, work out at the gym, and play on the computer the rest of the time.
Not to mention the hourly pay rate works just fine for me.
Enough to take care of school and an apartment with the utilities.
Not to mention paying for school yourself is better due to not having to deal with fin-aid lines.
My plan was to be in my truck for at least a year gaining experience and getting used to the routine then begin my MBA. I have my year in now and I am checking out various schools. This will be an Online MBA. They are credible and I have found several that are very reasonably prices. I just have to be sure once I start I am motivated enough to complete it. It will take a minimum of two years.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Anyone driving and going to school at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
My plan was to be in my truck for at least a year gaining experience and getting used to the routine then begin my MBA. I have my year in now and I am checking out various schools. This will be an Online MBA. They are credible and I have found several that are very reasonably prices. I just have to be sure once I start I am motivated enough to complete it. It will take a minimum of two years.
I take it you must already have a BA?
Yeah, I'm 24 and have been treating school like a kid picks at vegetables on the plate.
Once high-school was over with, I thought to myself, "I put up with four years of this, no more for me."
Only reason I've forced myself to go back this late is more out of "fall-back" reasons if anything.
I've still got a while to go before I get any "useful" units and the only other thing keeping me resistant to being a "full-timer" is due to all the 18-20 year old(not much younger) students who have keggers and whatnot on their mind.
But, I figure as long as I don't have kids to take care of, then I really have nothing to quite worry about.
I figure 5-7yrs(CSU/Calif. Comm. Colleges mixed) of classes will be a reasonable amount of time to get a degree in.
I considered USC a few times, but they're more centered towards the 18-22, fin-aid/scholarship/loan/rich-parent, type of student.
I'd rather be surrounded by a majority of people who already work.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

So, because younger people want to party, you'll forego being a full time student? Hmm. You act like you have to live in a dorm :roll:
Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

benstrider-
if you plan on going to school on weekends, most of the party people won't be in your classes. usually the ones with families and working full time are the ones taking the weekend and night courses. are you looking to get your bachelors or masters? people who are in the masters programs also tend to be more mature.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
So, because younger people want to party, you'll forego being a full time student? Hmm. You act like you have to live in a dorm :roll:
Fact of the matter is they carry that attitude with them into the classroom and instructors(who are usually grad-students at most state-universitys) could give a rats @ss about it.
Frankly, I'm not that old, but I feel like I was born in the wrong time-period.
As far as the degree I'm working on, I may, or may not tone it down to either an Associates or Bachelors in Nursing.
I thought about a B/S in engineering, but aside from my limited, advanced math-skills, engineering jobs seem to be a bit of a challenge to get.
Not to mention, they always seem to desire engineers that could constantly pull new ideas out of their hat.
I looked into nursing though and found that the interview process for that job mainly consists of a "when-can-you-start" type of call after you've filled out apps.
Not to mention lots of public/county/municipal hospitals with entry-level positions starting at $15-$30/hr.
It's kind of parallel to the demands for drivers.
Not to mention if the law enforcement thing never works out, I could always use either an ADN/BSN to get a commission in the National Guard and kill two birds with one stone.