User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Sirius turning some impressive numers

WOW, they about cut their loss in half, still aways to go but pretty impressive. Now I hope Sirius passes the so called un-censored XM

NY Times

Filed at 4:50 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. on Tuesday said its net loss slimmed substantially in the second quarter, as it added more than a half-million new subscribers and revenue grew by about 50 percent.

New York-based Sirius reported a net loss of $134.1 million, or 9 cents per share, compared with a loss of $237.8 million, or 17 cents per share, a year earlier.

On an adjusted basis, excluding stock-based compensation costs, Sirius lost 8 cents per share in the period. Revenue rose to $226.4 million from $150.1 million a year earlier.

Analysts polled by Thomson Financial on average expected a loss of 10 cents per share in the quarter on revenue of $228.3 million.

In other key metrics watched by investors, Sirius' cost for adding each subscriber fell to $108 from $131 in the same period a year ago.

Average monthly revenue per subscriber, however, fell to $10.71 from $11.71 in the same period a year ago, partly on a decline in average advertising revenue per subscriber.

Average monthly churn -- reflecting the rate at which users drop out of the service -- edged up to 2.1 percent from 1.8 percent in the same period a year ago.

Sirius reported net subscriber additions of 561,493 for the quarter, taking its total to more than 7 million.

The company also said it continues to expect that its combination with XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. will be completed by the end of the year.

The deal is facing tough regulatory scrutiny in Washington, and the two companies recently announced proposed pricing plans that would allow users greater choice in which channels they receive and how much they pay.

Sirius shares rose 4 cents, or 1.4 percent, to $3.01 Tuesday.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Ben45750:

It's so interesting that you should post this thread about Sirrius when you did.

For some reason just this past Monday, "Sirrius" popped into my head as an investment opportunity; not sure why, I don't recall reading or hearing anything about it recently.

Last I heard, Sirrius was in the toilet. I never really gave it another thought, until I read your thread.

It sounds to me like things are getting better, but at this point,I'm not ready to call this a real turnaraound.

What are your thoughts on the matter??

Thanks again for the thread!!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Ben45750:

It's so interesting that you should post this thread about Sirrius when you did.

For some reason just this past Monday, "Sirrius" popped into my head as an investment opportunity; not sure why, I don't recall reading or hearing anything about it recently.

Last I heard, Sirrius was in the toilet. I never really gave it another thought, until I read your thread.

It sounds to me like things are getting better, but at this point,I'm not ready to call this a real turnaraound.

I have always been a fan of XM because of O&A but when they suspended them is lost all respect for XM. I had 2 subscriptions and canceled them both and now just download the shows I want to listen too.

My thoughts would be to sit by the sidelines and wait, I don't think the stock is going to do anything until more comes in about the merger. You would think the stock should go up if the merger goes through but they are still 2 company's losing money. I think Sirius though is probably the better of the 2 company's and might be better off without XM if they keep moving in the direction they are going now.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:16 AM
Senior Board Member

More thoughts.......

Sirius had the 2 big "gets" by getting Howard and NASCAR. My question what can they do now to draw more subs besides new car sales?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
More thoughts.......

Sirius had the 2 big "gets" by getting Howard and NASCAR. My question what can they do now to draw more subs besides new car sales?
They don't,and with the talent cost they have and no way to increase subs to support outragous spending they are doomed,one if not both will be seriously wounded by FCC declining the merger.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Ben45750:

check Mel Karmizans past, he has a history of success , they said he was stupid for paying millions to get the superbowl on his tv network.. look how that turned out. .. these guys who say Howard makes too much must have failed math class. if he makes 100 million a year, and there are 7 million subscribers paying 12.95 a month, that's 84 million a month x 12 months minus Howard's pay. I would take that deal any day, and dont forget that Howard will probably leave after this contract. I doubt if many will cancel because of it. there is nothing better on regular radio...