User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Wow, ATA really sucks don't they?

http://www.trucknews.com/issues/ISAr...issue=11152007

Quote:
TORONTO, Ont. -- Canadian carriers should be able to deliver from point-to-point within the US and vice-versa, Ray Kuntz, chairman of the American Trucking Associations (ATA) said this morning in kicking off the Ontario Trucking Association’s annual convention.
WTF?

As a Canadian, I think this would be a mistake. I do *NOT* want to run point to point in the US. The current cabotage rules pretty much guarantee decent home time, as I'm located right in the middle of Canada.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

[b]You can see were he is going with this. Want they really want to see is the Mexican trucking companies going point to point without returning to Mexico.

And they will get it because truckers can't see out side the box.

We have a don't need to get organised attitude. My CEO will take care of me.

TORONTO, Ont. -- Canadian carriers should be able to deliver from point-to-point within the US and vice-versa, Ray Kuntz, chairman of the American Trucking Associations (ATA) said this morning in kicking off the Ontario Trucking Association’s annual convention.

Kuntz emphasized he was not speaking on behalf of the ATA when he made the remark. However, he said permitting cabotage is the next logical step in improving efficiencies for carriers on both sides of the border.

“It won’t be popular but it’s time to start looking outside the box,” he told OTA delegates.

Kuntz, CEO of Montana-based Watkins and Shepard Trucking, said NAFTA has “changed how we live” with Canada/US surface trade skyrocketing from US$211 billion in 1993 to US$536 billion in 2006.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

I agree what he said here:

Kuntz also said trucking is being hampered by congestion, which has blossomed into a multi-billion dollar problem for the industry. Kuntz pointed out the cost of congestion has grown 8% every year since 1982 and the 200 worst bottlenecks in the country cost the industry a staggering US$7.8 billion per year. That’s negatively impacting fleet profitability and also the earning potential of professional drivers, he pointed out.

“Who wants to drive in this kind of mess?” he asked. “We pay drivers by the mile and they can’t get the same miles they were getting four to five years ago.”

Kuntz said “We need a real solid focus on rebuilding our infrastructure over the next 10 years” and added the US should focus more on fixing its infrastructure woes than being the “world’s policeman.”
Old 11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If their drivers are not getting the miles they need to earn a decent living perhaps they need to raise the rate on those routes. :roll:
Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If their drivers are not getting the miles they need to earn a decent living perhaps they need to raise the rate on those routes. :roll:
Question is what is decent.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is a decent wage if you can earn a living.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:50 AM

This guy is mixing apples and oranges here. His basic premise is that because cross border trade has skyrocketed, Canadian truckers should be able to operate point to point in the US.

They're actually two separate issues that don't logically follow each other.

However, he's doing his best to make it sound like it makes sense.

I agree with Evinrude that the real issue here is Mexican trucks. Politically, Canadian trucks/labor isn't the hot button issue here in the US that Mexican trucks/labor is. The companies aren't going to face the same kind of rabid public backlash about Canadians that they're getting about Mexicans.

So it would be easier to get the cabotage laws changed with Canadians being the subject rather than the Mexicans. So in a manner of speaking, they're trying to sneak the Mexicans in through Canada.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The Mexicans are already here and hauling freight. :?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
The Mexicans are already here and hauling freight. :?
Yes ,the pilot project is 3 moths old or so. But Mexican trucks must return to Mexico after they delivery as do the Canadians. This guy wants to let Canadians trucks to do inter-stating. But my point is once we let the Canadians do this the Mexican trucks will follow.
There is always a little hidden message when a CEO gives a $peach.

And they always take care of number one.

Kuntz emphasized he was not speaking on behalf of the ATA when he made the remark. However, he said permitting cabotage is the next logical step in improving efficiencies for carriers on both sides of the border.

“It won’t be popular but it’s time to start looking outside the box,” he told OTA delegates.

Kuntz, CEO of Montana-based Watkins and Shepard Trucking, said NAFTA has “changed how we live” with Canada/US surface trade skyrocketing from US$211 billion in 1993 to US$536 billion in 2006.