User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I got the notice: Doubles on the horizon

I just got the notice that I have to go get my doubles endorsement by Apr.27th. they are buying up pups as we speak. Well look more like the other LtL oufits then....All the dollies are super singles.
I have never pulled a double before and I dont even think most of the terminals are set up for handling doubles... Can someone give me some tips tricks on pulling doubles? I will get some guidance and shown how to set them up. Im pretty confortable with a 48 or 53 fter and got a good feel for them, but with doubles it will be a whole different feel. Help! :withstupid:
Old 01-29-2007, 03:07 AM
Board Regular

they make it more complicated than it is.when they confuse you just simplify matters by realising there is 2 valves on back of the trailer to shut the air off.do you need 50 other pieces of info to process ?to relese brakes on the dolly drain the air tank on the dolly.learn the rest for your endorsement.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:47 AM
Senior Board Member

ya, 10-4. I guess one thing im worried about is the feel of it..i have a good sense of how I can run with a particular load- But with doubles, you cant feel the rear trailer in the same way, can you?? how does it compare in stability, handling and such?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:51 AM

Doubles ride much smoother, you can make turns that you could never make with a 45' trailer, much less a 53.

After someone shows you how to hook up a few times you will be able to do it by yourself in the dark. It is much easier with someone spotting when you back the front trailer and dolly under the rear trailer.

Always put the heaviest trailer in the front.

After a few hours of watching the rear trailer move from side to side while the front one remains steady, your butt will quit chewing up the seat cushion, and all will be fine.

Don't try to steer the truck to catch up with the rear trailer. Just drive straight and don't worry about what the rear one does, It's hooked to the front one and it's not going anywhere.

One last thing. Don't pull in anywhere you have to back out of.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:08 AM
Senior Board Member

And stop looking in the mirrors to try and keep em straight! It's all mental, but the more you watch them the worse they seem to get! I pulled doubles and triples and really never even got nervous. I had a UPS driver who was in front of me one time who scared me near to death! He almost (probably should have) missed his exit and the last second whipped the truck onto the off-ramp.. The set followed him up the ramp, but the last trailer almost left the ground as it cracked the whip to follow the rest.. He probably didn't even notice.. I think I made a noise like a little girl! ops:
Old 01-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Senior Board Member

ROFL!

My terminal is not known to have any idea of how to load a truck. Im sure weighing it will be smart. How to position the truck on the scale and what to look for apart from more weight on the front trailer? more weight in the nose of the trailer too?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Senior Board Member

I have literally hundreds of seconds driving doubles. I shuttled some about 5 miles once. :lol:

I asked the old salt on the lot "any pointers for my first time out?" He said "You see that R on that stick on your right, that stands for really don't wanna use it"

I was thinking you could load in the middle of the trailer and split the load evenly across the axles since they are at the extreme ends. But I am just speculating.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: I got the notice: Doubles on the horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
I have never pulled a double before and I dont even think most of the terminals are set up for handling doubles... Can someone give me some tips tricks on pulling doubles? I will get some guidance and shown how to set them up. Im pretty confortable with a 48 or 53 fter and got a good feel for them, but with doubles it will be a whole different feel. Help!
Sorry,I'm a little late here. Pulling wiggle wagons is easy. To me,it is just as easy,if not easier to pull doubles,as pulling a 53'. The only thing that I'm not crazy about,is the wind. That is when I wished I had a 48',or 53'. Doubles tend to pull ya down harder when the wind is blowing. They kinda like to "wiggle" when the wind is blowing,but as long as ya keep it good in bewteen the lines,nothing to it. Just feels funny,sometimes. When turning,the rear trailer follows behind the lead trailer,pretty good. Pulling doubles is a piece of cake. Once you get a few runs under your belt,nothing to it.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
And stop looking in the mirrors to try and keep em straight! It's all mental, but the more you watch them the worse they seem to get! I pulled doubles and triples and really never even got nervous. I had a UPS driver who was in front of me one time who scared me near to death! He almost (probably should have) missed his exit and the last second whipped the truck onto the off-ramp.. The set followed him up the ramp, but the last trailer almost left the ground as it cracked the whip to follow the rest.. He probably didn't even notice.. I think I made a noise like a little girl! ops:
Yes, this is something the new doubles driver needs to be VERY aware of - anything you do in front will be amplified at the rear. That little swerve you did to miss that chuckhole in the road you should have seen earlier? Well, what is just a little swerve to the tractor will send the rearmost trailer dancing across both lanes.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 AM
Board Icon

Very good point,Highwayman. I am sorry,I didnt bring that up. Youre right. Anything that the truck does,the rear trailer does,too. Especially,empty,it doesnt take near as much.

http://watsonsysco.com/