User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default SCARED MECHANIC

A long time ago, I owned a 80' Camero. It had a small V8 engine, and a 4 barrel carborator. Anyway, I was driving home late one night on the highway, when the car started to accellerate... I tried the brakes, but, the engine just kept speeding up. I didn't know what was wrong at the time. So, I'm thinking now what?... :shock:

I've got to try to stop this car, or it's curtains for me... :shock: Now it's the middle of the night, on the highway, and back then there were no cell phones... I wasn't about to sit on the side of the highway, and have the drunks come along, and wipe me off the side of the road... :roll:

Well, I stood on the brake, and tried to put it in neutral, all that did was allow the engine to rev out of control... I'm thinking this engine is just going to blow up eventually... :shock:

So, I figured I'll just shut it off... I turned off the ignition, and finally the car slowed down... I lost my power steering a bit, but, at least I had control of the car again...

I managed to get it home, by starting it up, and cruising along, until it got to the right speed, then I'd simply shut the car off, and coast down the road... It was a little nerve racking, but, I managed to get it home, safe, and sound... :wink:

Well, I called up my mechanic the next day, and told him what was happening... I said, you've got to see this car, I can't drive it the way it is... So, he let me bring it into his shop right away...

Since I'd figured out how to drive it the way it was, I managed to get it to his garage... :wink: 8)

Once I got it there, he wanted to take it for a test drive to check it out... I said, o.k., but, be prepared you've got to turn the ignition off once it starts to over rev...

We both went out on the test drive... Now, this was a mechanic that owned his own shop, and had been in the business for years...

Well, you should have seen the look on his face, when we took that car out for the test drive... He turned as pale as a ghost... :lol: :shock:

He was scared out of his wits, when that car started to take off like a bat out of he!!.... :lol:

I told him, SHUT IT OFF!... Thankfully we got it back to his garage... :roll:

Turned out the throttle on the carb. had broken, and was stuck in the wide open position... :lol: :roll:

It was a basic carb rebuild, and the car was as good as new... But, I'll tell you the look on that guys face, was priceless... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know when people in business say, oh, you can't show me anything I haven't seen before, I've seen it all...

Well, this was one car repair problem he had never seen in all his years. It just cracked me up to see the look on his face though, I just couldn't stop laughing, once we got back to the shop... :lol:

I didn't laugh while we were on the road test, I didn't want to distract the guy, and have him crack up the car... :lol:

Old 03-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Default Re: SCARED MECHANIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven
[b][color=darkred]A long time ago, I owned a 80' Camero...
Great story. Bet you would love to have the ride back!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Rookie

This was in a mid-80's Honda Civic... I've had an O-ring, presumably from the mesh guard designed to prevent foreign objects from falling into the carb air intake, come off and fall into the carb, blocking the throttle wide open....

From the moment it stuck to the moment I got it into the parking lot of where I was going, I was having to stand on the brakes to keep the speed somewhat under control, and shut the car off to stop.... Hate to think how much wear and tear I put in the brakes and how close I potentially came to killing the transmission from jamming it in gear after starting so many times.....

Luckily, I was going to a class at a school with an auto shop class, and my teacher arranged for them to help tow the car into the shop and get it looked at...
Old 07-12-2008, 04:55 AM

ive stuck my car at wot a couple of times, twice the florrmat did it, after the second time it was gone but twice when i was bending this bracket for a add on electric cruise to try and make it more responsive...freaked me out the first time it happened, just started a right turn at an intersection...pt in the clutch to shift and ROAR! i was like oh chit and killed it popped the hood fixed 5 secs leter
Old 07-15-2008, 03:55 AM
Board Regular

I had that happen on my first car that i had: 86 buick regal. The acceleration pedal broke as i took a left from an intersection and the car just took off like crazy.I had to press hard on the brakes and i still was doing 45-50 miles per hour :roll: Thank GOD even today that didn't happen when i was in that intersection.Something bad would have had happen.

When i read the story i just couldn't stop laughing cause i know that mechanics face.On my case a guy on a bike stoped to help me out and when he saw the car reving like crazy and tires spinning, he just took off running.
Man what a story!!!! :lol: :lol: