User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Showing time for Pre & Post Trips

Where in the FMCSR does it address the Pre and Post Trip inspection on the log? Specifcally where it states that no time is nessary for the post trip but is for the Pre Trip????? Not opinions what location in the FMCSA????
Old 02-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Board Regular

this will be an interesting thread to follow....

Interpretation for 396.11: - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Quote:
Question 25: Section 396.11 requires the driver, at the completion of each day’s work, to prepare a written report on each vehicle operated that day. Does this section require a ‘‘post trip inspection’’ of the kind described in §396.15?
Guidance: No. However, the written report must include all defects in the parts and accessories listed in §396.11(a) that were discovered by or reported to the driver during that day.

Quote:
Question 23: When the driver’s duty status changes, do §§395.8(c) or 395.8(h)(5) require a description of on-duty not driving activities (“fueling,” “pre-trip,” “loading,” “unloading,”, etc.) in the remarks section in addition to the name of the nearest city, town or village followed by the State abbreviation?
Guidance: No. Many motor carriers require drivers to identify work performed during a change of duty status. Part 395 neither requires nor prohibits this practice.
The requirement is that a report be prepared at the END of a tour with a vehicle. Any "time" requirement is a company requirement only. FMCSA only states that those times are considered "on-duty, not driving". You won't FIND a time, because it doesn't exist, one way or the other.

Having said that, what do you feel is a REALISTIC time for completing either a pre-trip or post-trip inspection. Key word there is REALISTIC. And remember the actual process and procedure for a brake system check.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Board Icon

Mndriver is essentially correct. There is no requirement for showing an amount of time OR identifying the activity for either a pre or post trip ON THE RODS.

He mentioned that a report must be prepared at the end of the day for each vehicle. However, the regs also state that a driver is to "review" the previous DVIR. That is often impossible. They also state (in 392.7) that a driver must be "satisfied" that everything works BEFORE operating the vehicle. This can be satisfied IF one can review the previous DVIR. Since that is not always possible.... it would follow that some form of pre-trip might be needed. Still, though, there is no requirement for logging it, or how long it should take.

Much of this depends on whether you operate a tractor/trailer combo on an ongoing basis (live loads and unloads for extended days,) or drop and hook various trailers and/or slip seat different tractors.

Perhaps, if we knew your specific situation or dilemma, we could be of better service.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I figured in 15 mins pre and 15 mins post trip on my daily logs.
Polishing off kiss marks was on my own time.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Board Regular

I'll even throw in another little "tidbit" to muddy the waters further....

If you are an O/O and only have one truck and trailer, you don't have to complete the DVIR at all.

Quote:
Question 21: Is a DVIR required by a motor carrier operating only one tractor trailer combination?
Guidance: No. One tractor semitrailer/full trailer combination is considered one motor vehicle. However, a carrier operating a single truck tractor and multiple semitrailers, which are not capable of being operated as one combination unit, would be required to prepare DVIRs.

Note this is ONLY the DVIR. You still have to ensure that the vehicle is safe to operate.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:33 AM
Board Icon

Yeah... I noticed that, too. But, it would also apply to a "driver" working for the O/O.... if only one truck is owned.