User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CSA 2010 delayed? maybe/maybe not

Quote:
FMCSA originally was to begin implementing Comprehensive Safety Analysis 2010 in July and to have all states fully functional by December.

The American Trucking Associations' member e-mail newsletter. Truckline, reported Thursday that it now appears that although certain phases of CSA 2010 will begin this fall, full implementation will not be completed until spring or perhaps summer of 2011.

However, when asked about this report, FMCSA officials told HDT editors that CSA 2010 still will not be delayed to 2011, that it will still be rolled out later this year -- although that does indicate that there will be some delay. They could not offer more details, they said, because a Federal Register notice of the exact timeline will be coming out soon.
CSA 2010: Full Implementation Could Be Delayed - Truckinginfo.com

Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I am certainly not going to miss it.:clap:

Old 04-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Delayed until November 2010

from OOIDA:
Quote:
The rollout of the new high-tech system designed to track motor carrier compliance with the federal regs has now officially been pushed back to November.

The Comprehensive Safety Analysis 2010 compliance measurement system was originally slated to go live in June. However, meetings with industry stakeholders and field testing have FMCSA considering changes to the methodology used to measure compliance with the federal regulations.

In a conference call with OOIDA leadership on Tuesday, April 6, FMCSA officials confirmed that motor carriers would be able to preview CSA 2010 data from April 12 through July 31.

Beginning Aug. 1, the agency will begin using the system to assess the compliance of motor carriers with the regulations. The information will go live to the public on Nov. 30, and corrective actions against motor carriers could be imposed at that time.

In the meantime, FMCSA officials plan to complete field testing of the CSA 2010 system sometime in June. As of early April, the agency had collected approximately 26 months’ worth of roadside inspection and crash report data.

All violations listed on inspections, whether a citation is issued or not, is entered into the CSA 2010 database. Those violations and crash report data will be chewed through quite a bit of math to determine a motor carrier’s percentile ranking in the seven different categories.

Once the system goes live, FMCSA can decide on a variety of interventions based on the severity of a motor carrier’s non-compliance in any one of those categories.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
motor carriers would be able to preview CSA 2010 data from April 12 through July 31.
Starts Monday when companies start firing problem drivers
Old 04-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsyrob View Post
Starts Monday when companies start firing problem drivers
Seems like all industries and educational institutions are having a big, "weed-out" fest all of a sudden.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Board Member

My carrier is practicing the CSA guidelines. It is very bittersweet.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have spoken with 2 or 3 people this week who have told me that their carrier has been firing owner operators and drivers due to their safety record and mvr. It could take some of these drivers years to get to a point where a carrier will hire them. According to what I have seen, many of the largest carriers have the poorest safety record. They are doing what they can to circumvent any action by the feds. I think that these carriers feel that they can improve their safety score by getting rid of problem drivers or those with dings on their mvr.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I have spoken with 2 or 3 people this week who have told me that their carrier has been firing owner operators and drivers due to their safety record and mvr. It could take some of these drivers years to get to a point where a carrier will hire them. According to what I have seen, many of the largest carriers have the poorest safety record. They are doing what they can to circumvent any action by the feds. I think that these carriers feel that they can improve their safety score by getting rid of problem drivers or those with dings on their mvr.
Just what we need, more unemployment. Maybe that 250,000 job loss number in transportation is not that far fetched.

And the problem is, is that these guys that are getting canned will be unhireable until these points drop off. Which in many cases will be 2 to 3 or more years. Now what happens to a driver that has not worked in 2 to 3 years? No one will hire them unless they go back to $chool, right?

Sounds like a hideous plot to plunge our nation into third world status, the lack of jobs and continual unemployment along with the crippling taxation set to take off next year. All thanks to uncle sam.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Interesting point, JustTruckin.

I think the CSA2010 plan is a great idea. However, if it had an equal countrpart for corrective action on drivers, it would be most effective. Retraining in various areas like logging properly, "driving school" per se, and others. I'm just throwing out a few random ideas. Of course, there would be certain violations that will be unexcusable, and some with a one-time warning.

Some offenses like a light out shouldn't have a point value that is close to even being referred to as modest. An accumulation of a few should be. Maybe a teeny tiny fine. But I would not want the system overran by fines of any kind. A guy that tears off a mudflap at a shipper and gets stopped on the way to the truckstop who honestly is going directly to get it fixed instead of pushing a few miles down the road would be an example of that.

I welcome you guys to critique my ideas on it.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I think that these carriers feel that they can improve their safety score by getting rid of problem drivers or those with dings on their mvr.
I think they can improve with this method. But I think working with the drivers with a couple "dings" and not "dents" is the answer. Just my .02