User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default info on getting hazmat lic.

I live in Ca. and am planning on getting my hazmat endorsement but don't know if you have to do the finger print and back ground check first or take the writin test first
Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Board Regular

Took me about 2 minutes to search the California DMV website for this:

TSA’s Process

You start the TSA background records check after you apply for your CDL at DMV, successfully complete all appropriate law tests, and submit a valid Medical Examination Report form (DL 51). Go online www.hazprints.com or call 1-877-429-7746 to make an appointment with a TSA agent. You must submit a $94 federal fee and any additional required information to the designated TSA agent. The TSA agent will advise you of the fingerprint requirement. You must also provide the TSA agent with a DMV Commercial Instruction Permit and one of the following identification documents:

* A California driver license and/or California identification card
* An out-of-state driver license
Old 02-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

In my state you need to do the background check first. You need to go to your local sheriff's office or police station and have your prints taken. Next you will need to find where to go to do the background check. I think most states use an outside company to do them. Most run about $94. If I remember correctly, Lockheed Martin does the background checks for the hazmat and TWIC. Once your background check has been done you should be sent a letter that you will need to take to your local DMV or licensing agency where you can take the test. Your state could handle it differently, but that is what I was told when I last renewed my license. I think that when they first started that you could take the hazmat test, and could receive a temporary endorsement until your background check came back. If you didn't pass the check then you had to come back to get the endorsement taken off your license within a certain time frame. I suppose that they found it easier to make sure an applicant could pass the background check before giving them the endorsement.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info
I already have my CDL but wanted to add hazmat to it.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:37 PM

go to hazprints.com and fill out the app, pay for it then get the location where to go get ur prints taken from the same site, once you have the TSA letter in hand (2-3wks) go to the do you hazmat test and youre done.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:59 AM

Actually you don't have to wait for the letter. I just called TSA up and asked him what the status was. Once they approve you, they electronically send the approval to your state. Just go to DMV & say you were approved, they will look it up.

sic semper tyrannis
Old 04-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Board Regular

Florida:

You take the written test. Certain DMV offices do the fingerprints, collect the fee and snap a new digital photo. Upon receipt of approval from the Feds, they mail you a new license with the (added) endorsement.

In my case, I already had the TWIC, so the BG check went that much faster. From fingerprint to approval in about 10 days. YMMV.

Note: In florida (for example), a CDL is good for the usual 8 year license term - BUT - a hazmat is good for only 4 years. So you go in, PAY for an 8 year license, then PAY to lose 4 years OFF the license as it will now EXPIRE when the hazmat does.

WHAT A COUNTRY...

Rick