User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 34hr restart and RECAP

How do you log your 34hr restart? I have always used the rolling method, but I think I will need the restart this week. I'm not sure how to log it.

Do I just start my recap over as though I haven't worked in the last 8 days? Or do I keep showing the hours worked but indicated my available hours as 70 in that part of the recap?

Does anyone have an example of what a 34hr restart log should look like?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Board Icon

After a 34 hour reset, I always throw zeros in the recap for the last 8 days to avoid confusion. As the recap is not required by the FMCSA, you can throw anything you want in there.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
After a 34 hour reset, I always throw zeros in the recap for the last 8 days to avoid confusion. As the recap is not required by the FMCSA, you can throw anything you want in there.
That's what I needed to know. I have a lot of scales to cross on this Chicago and Wisconsin run, so I want to make sure everything is up to snuff.

Thanks for the help

-oh, should i write "34hr restart" or something in the remarks section for the restart days?
Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Board Icon

No, you only need to put the city and state in the remarks section.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:01 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1981 View Post
That's what I needed to know. I have a lot of scales to cross on this Chicago and Wisconsin run, so I want to make sure everything is up to snuff.

Thanks for the help

-oh, should i write "34hr restart" or something in the remarks section for the restart days?
Thou not required, I flag in my logbook the time showing when I have been off duty for the 34 hours. The safety director for one company I worked for recommended doing this to ease the DOT inspector log checking.

If for example, I went off duty at 8pm on 10/17/2009, then I would show a flag at 6am 10/19/2009 and write on the line "34 hr Restart".
Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

I use the recap at the front of the book and after the "0" right next to it write reset. This along with the line one page that I'm off plus the day before and after that equal 34 hours off is enough. Never had a scale master blink at this. You can write just about anything that you want at the bottom of a logbook page if you want to further clarify this but i think that is unnecessary. The cop checking your book knows what to look for.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1981 View Post

Thanks for the help

My practice has always been to do so.
Never assume that a cop knows what to look for. They are human and can thereby make mistakes.
YIS,
WRI
Old 11-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Examiner View Post
My practice has always been to do so.
Never assume that a cop knows what to look for. They are human and can thereby make mistakes.
YIS,
WRI
This. I've always logged giving a clear indication to the cops what's going on, and recommended the same to my students. If they have to guess, they will look a lot closer at your logs and even if everything is square, that holds you up longer in the best case scenario.

I either flag the 34th hour, or write "34-hour restart" in the comments, OR flip the page sideways and notate 34-hr restart alongside the recap (the last one is my preferred method because it keeps my logs clean)
Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
I hate to argue with the departed but, this is not a good idea. Whether necessary or not, ANYTHING you put on your log could be used against you if it is "false."

Depending on the type of log you use, once you show TWO days with ZERO hours worked, or ONE day and a log sheet showing the remaining hours needed before you started work, you will have shown ALL that is necessary to claim 70 hours "available" for the next day.

IOW.... don't falsify your log. Just show it as it happened, and (as some have suggested) it would be smart to put something in the remarks section about the restart. But, it is not necessary. No DOT cop can put you OOS if you can show him properly filled out logsheets showing 34 consecutive hours off duty.

You don't even HAVE to have a logsheet showing zero hours. If you started your restart at 3 a.m. on Tuesday, you would need a logsheet for that day showing 3 hours of on duty time. 34 hours later would be 1 p.m. on Wednesday. So, you would have a logsheet with duty hours on Wednesday. NO logsheets with zero hours.... but still a 34 hour "restart."

You CANNOT falsify the last 8 days (as the Rev suggested) by putting zeros on your recap! You have logsheets, fuel receipts, tolls, etc showing that you worked those days! Even tho the recap is NOT required by the FMCSA, IF you fill it out.... you cannot FALSIFY it.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Default less is better

I never put anything at all about the fact I have been off the previous 34hrs before starting out again and have never been asked about it. In fact they are going to look back weather you noted it or not. The neater and cleaner your book is the less likely they will mess with you. The simple answer is you don't need to indicate when restarting.