User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default how do you find a good driver?

i know some here have a few trucks. how do you find a good driver? my dad was looking for another driver. to make a long story short, got someone that seemed too good to be true. you know.. "i'm real clean, never want to be home will run anywhere". well... as the saying goes....

this was the first trip. my dad (who is hurt) did the first trip withhim. there is kinda a few things you need to do with the run we do. and its almost impossible to find the place at night. all that and the truck needed an oil change.

so my dad's other driver jumps out of the truck and goes home. he gets a call he forgot his wallet in the truck. not a big deal they met up. the new driver had a huge problem with this. after that they get on their way.. my dad said he had to speedo buried, my dad told him to slow down. the driver told him "don't worry about it". the driver swore up and down he could drive a 13 speed.. well.. he couldn't. my dad told him to just relax with it.. again it was "don't worry" but this time it was also. "the trans in this truck is f***ed up". mind you the trans was replaced about 18 months ago. it is the smoothest trans I ever drove. anyway, they get to the stop. now we deal with the same 3 for as long as I've been doing this run.. I do 2 trips a week. the nicest girls. he stood infront of the window saying "I guess they don't see me".

there is another list of things he did.. needless to say.. that was his one and only trip with us.

so how do you guys find good drivers?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Palm readers, ju-ju beads, and a thorough back ground check.

Use your state employment agency......have them do the background check......use PSP at https://www.psp.fmcsa.dot.gov/psp/default.aspx ..........
Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Senior Board Member

You're looking for a good driver, and I'm looking for a good company.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
You're looking for a good driver, and I'm looking for a good company.
I think the problem is solved now firebird_1252, the only thing is to go on a drive with the new driver to understand about his capabilities and I am sure you can get some idea about the new man after a short ride and the next remaining think is a thorough background check and you are done.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Senior Board Member

I would also drive by the guys house or at least look at it on google earth.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Senior Board Member

My dad told me years ago the reason he never bought more then 1 truck is cuz of drivers. He told me anyone who is any good, already have good jobs (sunoco, Linde, UPS, Walmart etc) With high pay and benefits. Or good drivers go and buy their own truck. Thats how it seems anyway

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree with mackman, it's why I never added trucks, you WILL go thru 20 drivers before you will find a good one, and he will end up leaving, the first time something better comes along, or the first time you pi$$ him off, which could be anything you say or do.

Ask yourself this: what are you offering That would make someone want to work for you. What do you have that other companies don't.

Personally I wouldn't work for ME, crappy job and working conditions, and I know what the conditions YOU/me operate under :-)
Old 06-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
I agree with mackman, it's why I never added trucks, you WILL go thru 20 drivers before you will find a good one, and he will end up leaving, the first time something better comes along, or the first time you pi$$ him off, which could be anything you say or do.

Ask yourself this: what are you offering That would make someone want to work for you. What do you have that other companies don't.

Personally I wouldn't work for ME, crappy job and working conditions, and I know what the conditions YOU/me operate under :-)
i'm starting to see that.

btw, saw you and stu going out earlier..

and for a back thing that you'll get... the was nasty to kim in the office.. standing infront of the window saying "well I guess she just don't see me".
Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
My dad told me years ago the reason he never bought more then 1 truck is cuz of drivers. He told me anyone who is any good, already have good jobs (sunoco, Linde, UPS, Walmart etc) With high pay and benefits. Or good drivers go and buy their own truck. Thats how it seems anyway
funny you say that.. this guy went though almost all of the major carriers. I guess that's another redflag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
I would also drive by the guys house or at least look at it on google earth.
he lived in Brooklyn. it all looks the same to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tami Paulus View Post
I think the problem is solved now firebird_1252, the only thing is to go on a drive with the new driver to understand about his capabilities and I am sure you can get some idea about the new man after a short ride and the next remaining think is a thorough background check and you are done.
we run out of long island. and for now my dad is jumping back in his truck for a few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Palm readers, ju-ju beads, and a thorough back ground check.

Use your state employment agency......have them do the background check......use PSP at https://www.psp.fmcsa.dot.gov/psp/default.aspx ..........
thank you sir.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Hired drivers for many years. All those bad things you hear/read about DAC? They don't seem so bad when you're hiring someone. When you check past employment,listen to what they say,not what you want to hear. Remember that saying that all company's lie to you? It goes both ways. If you can't verify/document it,it didn't happen.

If you think that you're going to hire someone that will do everything you do,you'll be dreaming.(though sometimes it happens) You're hiring someone to drive your truck,not a mechanic,not a dispatcher,not a lumper.